• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Right Stuf Inc. & Nozomi Entertainment Industry Panel

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Excellent pick ups. I've wanted to check out Gasaraki for a while but it's a pain in the butt to find seeing as there's not even a thinpack version or anything out there.

Also, I can certainly see myself buying the Dirty Pair movies/OVAs. That seems like a more manageable starting point than jumping right into the series.
Almaz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Excellent pick ups. I've wanted to check out Gasaraki for a while but it's a pain in the butt to find seeing as there's not even a thinpack version or anything out there.

I was about to say that Gasaraki came out long before thinpacks. ADV did release "bricks" of Nadesico and Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040. I do not remember Gasaraki getting one. I have the original Gasaraki series. I personally liked the series.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Not long ago I was thinking that I'd like to see Martian Successor Nadesico, but gathering up the old releases seemed likely to be a nuisance. Then this happened. Well, I suppose that I have to have good timing in something.

I'm slightly interested in that mess of Dirty pair titles and although I know little about Gasaraki, I have a fondness for its 'vintage', so maybe I'll take an interest in it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Just as a quick note, The Third in the third and final paragraphs doesn't need to be italicized since it refers to Utena, not The Third: Girl with the Blue Eye.
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited about the Utena extra, but sadly it doesn't look like TRSI picked up anything I'm interested in this time around. Oh well, I'm sure all of these sets will be lovely for those that want them. I'll just have to wait for next time.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Just when Marian Successor Nadesico that was formerly licensed by ADV disappeared from the list on RightStuf's Shopping List, RightStuf licensed it. I'm just glad that this anime's still around in US for much longer. Smile Will definitely buy it when it comes out on DVD (or maybe BD).
OtakuboyT

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:26 pm Reply with quote
The flames of a Gekigan Flare shine brightly.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They will announce a date for the third box set "soon." Fans who purchase all three box sets at Right Stuf.com will receive a special gift, which turns out to be a replica of the rose seal ring that Utena wears throughout the series, while supplies remain.

I Want. That Ring. D:

anyway. yes. I'm glad they're bringing out more Dirty Pair and also Nadesico, I watched that show on VHS back in the day, I had been meaning to grab a DVD version, but never did. Now I have no excuse Anime hyper
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:57 am Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
I Want. That Ring. D:

Who wouldn't? It grants access to the dueling arena, where we can work out our teenage angst in wildly surrealistic sword fights.
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:43 am Reply with quote
I replaced my original Nadesico DVDs with the most recent thinpak box set that has MUCH better subtitle fonts then the original release that literally filled the screen with huge blocky subs on a consistant basis. Lots of dialog in the show, and ADV was critisized on it's sub fonts widely at the time.

I would be very interested to see a Blu Ray release of Nadesico with pretty blu ray subs. The English track, by the way, was never that bad, but you HAVE to hear Ruri Ruri in Japanese at least once, in my opinion.

The Soro no Woto (Song of the Skies) Disk set hit my desk yesterday, and I have already pored over two disks, the booklet, and the extras and I have to say I am very impressed! This is a great release and I am very happy to have it in my hands. I was mesmerized by the show as a whole the first time, and rewatching it brought the feeling to me again. Thank you RightStuf!
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
I was about to say that Gasaraki came out long before thinpacks. ADV did release "bricks" of Nadesico and Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040. I do not remember Gasaraki getting one.

All we have in the releases database here is the "perfect collection" boxset (which is the one I have, having chucked it in with another order from TRSI as it was insanely cheap)

Moonsaber wrote:
I replaced my original Nadesico DVDs with the most recent thinpak box set that has MUCH better subtitle fonts then the original release that literally filled the screen with huge blocky subs on a consistant basis. Lots of dialog in the show, and ADV was critisized on it's sub fonts widely at the time.

The hard subbed overlays of on-screen text were more of an issue and stuck out like a sore thumb against the grain of the video.

Quote:
I would be very interested to see a Blu Ray release of Nadesico with pretty blu ray subs. The English track, by the way, was never that bad, but you HAVE to hear Ruri Ruri in Japanese at least once, in my opinion.

Nozomi still aren't doing bluray. Personally, as soon as Ruri started talking I switched to the Japanese track and never switched back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote
I suppose that I should be giddy over the re-release of all the DP series-but I'm not as I already have all of it from ADV. Rebuying it for somewhat better video quality just isn't worth it- but I know I was really stoked when the originial DP tv series was released last year. It'll be a good opportunity for people who have never heard of the Dirty Pair to acquire the series, though.
Deadwing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Yay on Gasaraki and Nadesico. I never got around to getting those back when ADV first released them, so now I have the chance to do so.

However, I was more hoping that RS/Nozomi would announce the remainder of El Hazard. They have The Wanderers series, but I was more looking foward to The Magnificent World OVAs and The Alternative World TV series.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Also, I can certainly see myself buying the Dirty Pair movies/OVAs. That seems like a more manageable starting point than jumping right into the series.

There was only 1 Dirty Pair movie: 1986's "Project Eden". 1985's "Affair On Nolandia" and 1989's "Fight 005 Conspriacy" were both 50 mintue OVAs. In fact Affair On Nolandia was one of earliest OVA anime releases.

Dirty Pair Flash was released in May and July of 1995. It was the 10th anniversary celbration of the franchise.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone ask them about the prospects of blu-ray releases?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3