• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New CPM Licenses

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:30 pm Reply with quote
From Anime on DVD:

Quote:
CPM Moves to Warner, Inadvertantly Announces New Licenses (11:29 AM EST): Reported some time back, CPM was moving to have the WEA group handle their wide ranging distribution of DVD releases. Some of the questions that have come up have been answered in the new PDF sent to customers today. One of those questions was whether the Anime 18 releases would be covered and that is a resounding yes as the bulk of the catalog is listed there.

Not everything is going to be immediately available for order for retailers though; According to the two schedules included, none of their Asian Pulp Cinema releases will be available for order until 2005, though there look to be plans for price drops for them when they are resolicited with new tag numbers. What anime is listed is mostly titles that have been announced for release in January and February which makes sense.

Of interest, the Yu Yu Hakusho Movie: Poltergeist Report will not be reissued, which means they've probably lost the license for that and we may see it in the future elsewhere.
Amusingly, they list a number of titles on Schedule B that have not been announced as licensed yet and a couple of shows that aren't on DVD yet:

# Outlanders (7/12/05)
# Shadowstar Narutaru (4 volumes) (4/12 - 10/11)
# Patlabor: New Files Vol. #1 (6/14/05)
# Angel Blade (3/8/05)
# Patlabor TV #10 (3/8/05)

If Central Park Media is keeping with the recent indications of only one to two releases of new anime per month, then this covers their anime release schedule through October 2005, which is to say they're going to run very lean while focusing on manga. What's surprising beyond that is that there's only one listed Anime 18 release here, something that up until recently they've released two different volumes a month of. The drop in hentai is definitely an unusual change from a company that's been putting them out for as long as I can remember.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:24 pm Reply with quote
About damned time we got the second Patlabor OVA series on DVD, since, in my opinion, the 15 "New Files" episodes are the pinnacle of the entire Patlabor franchise, with the perfect mix of humour, action, drama, and even a little pathos.

Except for animation quality, I far prefer those episodes to the movies, which got a bit too serious for my tastes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cultnirvana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm shocked that Narutaru has gotten a release with what happens in the last few episodes and the problems the manga has encountered (the English version was close to being pulled due to the content in later volumes and the French version was halted).

I wonder if it will remain uncut. I'm not easily disturbed but that anime really threw me for one.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:40 pm Reply with quote
When I first glanced at this article, I misread Narutaru as Naruto and my heart skipped a beat, but alas, it was not to be... Anime cry
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
When I first glanced at this article, I misread Narutaru as Naruto and my heart skipped a beat, but alas, it was not to be... Anime cry

Don't be looking for Naruto to be licensed any time too soon.

-t
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:48 pm Reply with quote
cultnirvana wrote:
I'm shocked that Narutaru has gotten a release with what happens in the last few episodes and the problems the manga has encountered (the English version was close to being pulled due to the content in later volumes and the French version was halted).

I wonder if it will remain uncut. I'm not easily disturbed but that anime really threw me for one.

Considering that Central Park Media does hentai, it will more than likely be uncut. I'm don't have an intention of buying Narutaru because of the way it goes from making you think it's like Pokemon to a totally dark anime that I found quite disturbing in some points.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Amibite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Narutaru has nothing on Berserk, Yuugiou, or other titles that have already been released here.

Don't see why people are so shocked, I'm sure even Japanese Digimon has all the stuff it has. Violence, guts, and sex.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
Narutaru has nothing on Berserk, Yuugiou, or other titles that have already been released here.

Don't see why people are so shocked, I'm sure even Japanese Digimon has all the stuff it has. Violence, guts, and sex.

Have you even seen Narutaru? I admit that my knowledge is second-hand, but from what I gather, Narutaru is about the other effects of the wonderful Japanese school system aside from the students who put the US to shame day in and day out.

Remember, death and violence are givens. It's how they are performed that turns people off.
OrsonHyuri

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:35 am Reply with quote
I'd be so stoked if CPM picked up my favorite older L.A. Hero anime that didn't see the light of day on DVD and that would be Super Dimensional Fortress Orguss. Two thumbs up if they could pick up since L.A. Hero's license of it expired ages ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Amibite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Have you even seen Narutaru? I admit that my knowledge is second-hand, but from what I gather, Narutaru is about the other effects of the wonderful Japanese school system aside from the students who put the US to shame day in and day out.

What? It's not a schoolyard show, it's a show about a girl who befriends a cute little monster pet and she fights some evil kids who want to take over the world with theirs.

The worst it gets is a monster slicing a guy and girl in half, but they dont show anything. The camera pans away and we hear screaming and see some shadows on the wall. You see worse in Naruto.

It's just most people who've seen it haven't seen the JPN version of Pocket Monsters or Digimon... Narutaru is a kid show in Japan.

Quote:
Remember, death and violence are givens. It's how they are performed that turns people off.

I agree with the "how it's handled" part.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:42 am Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
Narutaru is a kid show in Japan.

No, it was on a station called "Kid's Station" in Japan, but it aired about 1 a.m.

It's absolutely not suitable for children.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:58 am Reply with quote
I would like to point out that Outlanders not only has never been released in North America on DVD, it has also never had a subtitled release.

http://animemania01.tripod.com/animem_p.htm
cultnirvana

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:13 am Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
It's just most people who've seen it haven't seen the JPN version of Pocket Monsters or Digimon... Narutaru is a kid show in Japan.

I've seen a hell of a lot of the Japanese verison and Pokemon, and it never even comes within the same ballpark as Narutaru. The most the Japanese version of Pokemon has is a little bit of swearing and the occasional bit of mild sexual innudendo As somesone else said, it was shown at 1am. Second, yeah, a lot of the violence is cut away from, but it is still there. It's not the matter of the violence that makes the show so extreme, it's the fact that most of those murdered are children, 11 or 12 years old, and also what is essentially the rape of an 11 year old, and god knows how many other elements of sex.

If it's uncut, it will easily be 15 or 16 + (even the part of the manga that has been released in English, which is before the occurances in the last few episodes of the anime, is a 16+)

How can it be just like Pokemon and Digimon if the manga has already been dropped in France and Dark Horse almost dropped it saying that they didn't realise the course the manga was going to take. As far as I hear, there may be edits to the parts of the English version of the manga that contain what the last few episodes of the anime did.

@ kusanagi-sama
Yeah, good point about CPM doing hentai. Hopefully that will mean this will be uncut.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:07 am Reply with quote
At Last! I'll be able to legally acquire "Outlanders"! Now if Dark Horse can see fit to re-publish Volume 1 of the manga I'll be able to acquire those as well. Wink
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:31 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
I would like to point out that Outlanders not only has never been released in North America on DVD, it has also never had a subtitled release.

http://animemania01.tripod.com/animem_p.htm

I am looking forward to having a legal copy, myself. I only have a fansub (with the worst fansubbing job, EVER) and I refused to buy the Trish LeDoux dub. (well, I usually refuse to buy dubs anyway, but that's beside the point). So, between that and the Patlabor releases, it's good times.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2