• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Lupin III's 1st Anime Season on DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsc315

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:08 am Reply with quote
Wow I love this company more and more. Very impressive, I never would have expected this coming from anyone! The hard part is if the get the rights for the extremely long season 2! There are well over 100 episodes, but if they are willing to release all of Fist of the North Star then I Guess i could see them doing that as well.

As for now I'm just happy were getting something really special and never officially been released here in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
E-Master

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:14 am Reply with quote
They've answered my prayers!

Sorry for that response, but as a long time Lupin fan, I've always dream of seeing the 1st anime series get a R1 DVD release. It's the shortest Lupin TV series, but a highly regarded classic that lead to a more successful sequal.

I'm totally preordering this so that way they'll consider releasing the second series if possible. Until then I'd beter buy the previous new stuff they released previously.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:18 am Reply with quote
Oooh, I'll definitely be picking this up. I've always wanted to see more of the green jacket series of Lupin, particularly the episodes directed by Miyazaki.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:45 am Reply with quote
Geo:
Quote:
Definitely an interesting choice of license, and I won't be surprised if Discotek will be releasing this show in one complete 23-episode set rather than splitting it up 12/11.

Doubtful. Depending on the ransom they paid TMS, it'll probably be split like Dirty Pair. But we can always hope.

Fayt:
Quote:
Lupin was never a stellar seller over here and we are going back to '71 now? Distotek must be madmen to think that this might work.

Well, yeah, but the idea is that since it's the first show, it can introduce people into it.
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:23 am Reply with quote
Never thought I'd see the day anyone would get the green-jacket Lupin series.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:24 am Reply with quote
xScar wrote:
I'm definitely buying this, but having it on BD would be so nice *-* Wonder why they were unable to get the BD license.
A 60s anime on Blu-Ray?

I'm super excited for this license. I can't wait to buy!
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:54 am Reply with quote
Well while i'm not a fan of Lupin, i do wish them good luck with this pickup. Hey, maybe if this sells then they could get some more 70s anime titles like the original Cutey Honey maybe? I would have no problem with that.

jrnemanich wrote:
I just hope that Discotek puts the whole series in one box. I think that's the only way I would buy the release.

It's 23 episodes so it's obviously going to be in a set and it's most likely going to be in 3 discs since they usually put in 7 or 8 episodes in each disc (as seen with each Fist Of The North Star set).
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:22 am Reply with quote
trunkschan90 wrote:
I wonder if it will include a dub or be subtitled only?
It'd be nice if they brought back the original cast.
Last I heard, the voiceless Music & Effects tracks no longer exist for this particular series. It would be impossible to make a dub without redoing the whole soundtrack.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:35 am Reply with quote
I may pick this up since I have been itching to watch older stuff, particularly from the 70s and 80s. However I want to say that I
NJ_ wrote:
Well while i'm not a fan of Lupin, i do wish them good luck with this pickup. Hey, maybe if this sells then they could get some more 70s anime titles like the original Cutey Honey maybe? I would have no problem with that.

wholeheartedly second, third, and fourth this! I've finally found fansubs for the original series, but they only go up to episode 20 (out of 25). The original Cutey Honey would be an instant preorder should they bring it over. I don't know what it is, but Go Nagai really speaks to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
E-Master

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote
If they do license the entire Red Jacket Series, that would be super cause I've long to watch all 155 episodes. I hope they'd be able to re insert the original episode 3 in it's right place instead of listing it as a later episode like how Geneon did it for their DVD releases all because of various reasons.

Until they do consider releasing that series in like 4 sets. I'm glad people will finally be able to see the Green Jacket series in America. I've seen the whole thing years ago, but I know this DVD will have better quality picture and better translation on the subtitles.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:08 pm Reply with quote
This us good news. Maybe I should recommend this.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Very surprising but pleasing news. I'm really starting to love Discotek what with their great licenses. And their is no way this is getting dubbed. Even at the height of the anime boom, I can't imagine this title selling enough to make back the cost of the dub.

I'm crossing my fingers that the next license they announce is City Hunter. Then I won't have to pay an arm and a leg for Season 3 and '91.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
xScar wrote:
I'm definitely buying this, but having it on BD would be so nice *-* Wonder why they were unable to get the BD license.
A 60s anime on Blu-Ray?

I'm super excited for this license. I can't wait to buy!

Anything on film can, within reason, look great when remastered in HD. You're essentially taking a high quality shot of each frame of film and processing it into an HD movie. Of course there's some post processing like perhaps digital noise reduction or other general cleanup, as well as pre-processing like a physical cleaning the film stock, but that's the general idea. And the larger the physical film, the more data you'll have digitally. So something that was shot using 70mm film would look far better than something using 8mm. All in all, it's a fantastic way to look at older anime again in a new light with sharper lines, more clarity and discernible detail, and color correction. But you also get to see all of the animation mistakes and dust as well. I think it's great way to revitalize older anime for a younger generation. The anime itself is old, but all of the effects of "looking old" have been removed.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:33 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Geo:
Quote:
Definitely an interesting choice of license, and I won't be surprised if Discotek will be releasing this show in one complete 23-episode set rather than splitting it up 12/11.

Doubtful. Depending on the ransom they paid TMS, it'll probably be split like Dirty Pair. But we can always hope.

Well, I'm just going off of the fact that Discotek has never released a half-season set in the history of that company's existence. But, at the same time, this license is a first for Discotek since it's a TV series that has never been released in North America before and hasn't had previously-existing official subtitles before. So we'll just have to wait and see.

But don't go using Dirty Pair as an example here, as Nozomi has only done in show with an immediate complete collection rather than splitting it up, which was Alice Academy. Nozomi also splits up the shows they license because they offer an overall amazing package, complete with booklets, nice artboxes, etc. Discotek, on the other hand, is mostly barebones when it comes to DVD releases. I'd say the most we'll get with Lupin Season 1's release that wasn't on the Japanese DVDs and BDs is some commentary for a few episodes here and there done by the same guy who did the commentaries for Episode 0 and Fuma Conspiracy.
Lupin the Third

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:59 pm Reply with quote
A couple updates from Discotek:

-The set will be subtitled-only. No English dub.

-A Blu-ray release sometime down the line is a possibility, but far from guaranteed. I presume it'll rely upon sales of the original.

-They don't have their masters yet, so we don't know anything about possible edits to the master or exactly what is included on the set (Pilot Film? Japanese extras?).

-I'll be contributing something to the release in the way of extras. Not sure what just yet.

The article proper:
http://lupinthethird.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=80:lupin-part-i-tv-licensed&catid=1:latest

FLCLGainax wrote:
trunkschan90 wrote:
I wonder if it will include a dub or be subtitled only?
It'd be nice if they brought back the original cast.
Last I heard, the voiceless Music & Effects tracks no longer exist for this particular series. It would be impossible to make a dub without redoing the whole soundtrack.

Not exactly; there is no known existing Music-only track. Music+SFX tracks are definitely around. They were used for at least one CD soundtrack just a few years back, published with the notation that some tracks still included sound effects from the show.

-Reed Nelson
Lupinthe3rd.com
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4