• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Version of ANN

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GMSenpai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering if a mobile version of ANN was in the works at some point in the future. With a lot of mobile devices containing web browsers it certainly would make sense. Loading ANN as is on a mobile browser can be rather troublesome, usually with slow load times and in worse case scenarios crashing the browser completely. Its rather nice if I'm on the go to catch up on anime news or if I'm at a con and want to check ANN.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Most of us are SmartPhone users (iPhone in particular) so we're all too aware of what a pain the site is to navigate on a portable device.

All I can say right now is that we're working on it. We're working on many, many things right now, as we've hinted repeatedly, but this is most certainly on our list.
GMSenpai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:39 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Most of us are SmartPhone users (iPhone in particular) so we're all too aware of what a pain the site is to navigate on a portable device.

All I can say right now is that we're working on it. We're working on many, many things right now, as we've hinted repeatedly, but this is most certainly on our list.

Coolness, thanks for the quick response. I look forward to the day it comes out then. =)
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I hope this isn't necrophilia, it's new, and related to the thread topic.

My bandwidth is insufficient for most streaming applications, but I've found that Crunchyroll's app for the iPhone and iPod Touch streams surprisingly well --- probably because the resolution is pretty small (it might not work so well if I had a current generation iPhone, with "retinal display").

This makes me wish that ll the streaming sites I frequent had iPhone apps.

This is a little different from making ANN mobile-phone friendly (and I realize that licensors may not view streams to mobile phones as the same sort of thing as streams to people's PCs).

But thanks for bringing so much streaming content over, I appreciate it.
dawn mako

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
So I noticed that the original post for this was in 2007 and we have yet to see a mobile version. Is there still a possibility of one coming out?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:10 pm Reply with quote
The original poster joined in 2007, the topic itself is only a year old.

In terms of the streaming side of things, Crunchyroll's app has adaptive streaming that lowers the quality automatically to compensate for a slower connection (IIRC the trade off for this is that the mobile streams are hard subbed).

The reason for going down the app route is that Apple devices don't support flash, and all the browser-based players that provide the necessary security are flash-based; to display video in mobile Safari you'd need to use HTML5 which last I heard has no provision for securing video.

In terms of the site, then I presume it is still something on our developer's long todo list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote
In terms of the streaming side of things, I can honestly say that there are no longer any plans to create a streaming video app for the iphone or any other device.

In regards to our partners at Siren and Kaze/AoD, I can't speak on their behalf, but I will say that ANN's decision not to create a streaming mobile app does not affect them.

An improved mobile app is however on the to-do list, but it isn't in active development.

-t
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I just whipped up something fast: http://m.animenewsnetwork.com/
It's just a simple (and buggy) no-sidebar version of the site, but it might do the trick for some people.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
archaron

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Nice job Dan42!
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:21 pm Reply with quote
It would at least be nice to get a mobile app for the forums, or add it to ForumRunner.
hotsushi

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:55 am Reply with quote
So.. it's been 2 years already. I was wondering if there is any progress on a mobile version of the anime news network site or even an APP?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote
No APP plans.

We're actively working on a reactive layout that will include support for mobile and tablet visitors.

We expect to start limited tests in less than 8 weeks, and hope to roll it out to everyone by the end of the summer.
hotsushi

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:13 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
No APP plans.

We're actively working on a reactive layout that will include support for mobile and tablet visitors.

We expect to start limited tests in less than 8 weeks, and hope to roll it out to everyone by the end of the summer.

Thanks for the quick reply and update! Smile I'm pretty excited to hear that there will be a tablet friendly site.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1