• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Favorite Production Studio

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Favorite Anime Studio
Spambot Productions Studio Inc.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A-1 Pictures
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
AIC
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
ARMS
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bones
12%
 12%  [ 14 ]
Gainax
9%
 9%  [ 10 ]
Ghibli
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Gonzo
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
JC Staff
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Kyoto Animation
6%
 6%  [ 7 ]
Madhouse
16%
 16%  [ 18 ]
Manglobe
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
PA Works
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Production IG
11%
 11%  [ 12 ]
Shaft
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Studio Deen
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Sunrise
8%
 8%  [ 9 ]
Toei
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Xebec
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
7%
 7%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 109

The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote
I tried to pick the studios with a couple noticeable productions, but there are a lot out there.

Studios and some of their more noticeable titles:

A-1 Pictures: Black Butler, Birdy the Mighty: Decode, Big Windup, and Kannagi

AIC: Ah My Goddess, Candy Boy, Now and Then Here and There, and Tenchi Muyo (everything)

ARMS: Elfen Lied, Ikkitousen 2-4, Queen's Blade, Kite, and a lot of hentai

Bones: Cowboy Bebop Movie, Darker than Black, Fullmetal Alchemist, Ouran, and Rahxephon

Gainax: Gurren Lagann, FLCL, Evangelion, Mahoromatic, Kare Kano, and Gunbuster

Ghibli: Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Howl's Moving Castle, and Porco Rosso

Gonzo: Welcome to the NHK, Witchblade, Chrono Crusade, Last Exile, Gankutsuo, and Full Metal Panic

JC Staff: Toradora, Slayers, Shakugan no Shana, Azumanga Daioh, Shigofumi, Excel Saga and Utena

Kyoto Animation: Kanon, Clannad, Air, Haruhi Suzumiya, and Lucky Star

Madhouse: Beck, Black Lagoon, Hellsing Ultimate, Highschool of the Dead, Trigun, Birdy the Mighty, and Cardcaptor Sakura

Manglobe: Samurai Champloo, Sacred Blacksmith, Ergo Proxy, Michiko to Hatchin, and The World Only God Knows

PA Works: Angel Beats, True Tears, Hanasaku Iroha, and Canaan

Production IG: Ghost in the Shell, Moribito, Eden of the East, Honey and Clover, Blood+, and xxxHolic

Shaft: Moonphase, Madoka Magica, Bakemonogatari, Hidamari Sketch, Pani Poni Dash, ef - a tale of memories (and melodies), and Negima!?

Studio DEEN: Fate/Stay Night, Hetalia, When They Cry, Fruits Basket, Ranma, and Vampire Knight

Sunrise: Gundam Everything, Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Votoms, Code Geass, Tiger and Bunny, Ronin Warriors, My-Hime/Otome, and Dirty Pair

Toei: Cutey Honey, One Piece, Dragonball, Sailor Moon, Digimon, Fist of the North Star, Pretty Cure, Zatch Bell, Yugi-Oh, and basically everything that was insanely popular not named Gundam

Xebec: Kanokon, Love Hina, Nadesico, Shuffle, RIN - Daughters of Mnemosyne, Zoids and Sorcerer Hunters

----------------------------------------------

This question isn't as tricky as it looks for me. My grades would tell you KyAni since I've given at least an 8/10 for all their shows, and they have the most 10s overall. My Shelves tell you Gonzo since that's the most dominate studio I have sitting around with works from Chrono Crusade to Witchblade. However, Madhouse has the most shows I've seen, which isn't surprising because they make a lot of good to great shows with some amazing thrown in every once in a while.

But this question is easy for one reason: Gainax. The existence of Gainax makes it an absolute no-brainer. Shaft gets an honorable mention, but Gainax towers over everything else. Gurren Lagann, Evangelion, FLCL, Mahoromatic, Panty and Stocking, and I could go on. All their shows give off such a unique sense of excitement and energy that I always feel so jazzed after watching them. Not to mention their unique animation style is godly. I can just tell they love animating and making shows as awesome as they can because those feelings come through so loud and clear.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lilredphoenix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I chose other only because I have anime shows/series from pretty much all those studios and a lot of those anime I do own. I do want to mention Thanks for the extensive list so pollers can associate shows with studios that was a nice overview. Appreciate the time you took to do that it helps a lot.
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say I have a 'favorite' as I don't really pay attention to production studios and who does what, but after seeing this poll and looking at the different options I decided to reach which studio did two of my favorites. I found it interesting to see the same company was involved in both of them - Brain's Base .
victor viper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Definitely SHAFT. With few exceptions (Negima perhaps), their manga adaptations invariably end up improving on the source material. For instance, the anime versions of Maria-Holic, Paniponi, Moonphase, and Hidamari Sketch almost certainly outdo their respective manga. Plus, just the openings and closings of their shows exude more creativity than entire 26-episode series by lesser studios. And I haven't even mentioned Madoka...
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I chose 'Other' because I've got at least 1 favorite from almost all of them, thus making it difficult to choose just one. A top 7 would probably include Bones, Gainax, Ghibli, JC Staff, Kyo Ani, Manglobe, and Shaft, though.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:33 pm Reply with quote
So I did some stat gathering after making those claims in my first post, and, well, I was wrong.

As it turns out, Gainax does indeed have my highest average, not KyoAni like I originally thought. It also turns out that Madhouse has my most 10's, not KyoAni again. I'm also 12 for 12 on watching to owning Madhouse shows. And Gonzo doesn't occupy the most shelf space, either.

Oh, and JC Staff owns my soul. They can thank my 10 pieces of Slayers for that. And I can thank them for making Slayers.

I do feel bad for AIC and ARMS, though. They have otherwise good shows, but AIC is being dragged down by Tenchi in Tokyo and Call Me Tonight. ARMS is being dragged down by the abomination Liberator. I don't feel bad for Deen's one 3 because they deserve it for making Yumeria.

I actually like this, and I think I'm going to tally my entire list. That's not going to be easy, but it's neat information to have. Besides, I love spreadsheets, and so the more the merrier.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kimbeey13

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I actually have the urge to make my own list now too. I'm starting to wonder which production studio of seen the most shows from.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:08 am Reply with quote
I did not do this scientifically, but I chose Madhouse because, in addition to the shows listed they are the studio that did all of Satoshi Kon's work, and I cannot think of any Madhouse show I saw that I did not like a lot.

Kyoto Anime gets an honorable mention for doing some great shows too, it just seems they have not been around quite as long so I have not seen as many shows from them yet.

Production IG has done some fine work, particularly with the Ghost in the Shell franchise.

With all three of those studios, I will usually look forward to seeing any new show they do.

Shaft is kind of up and down; I love Hidamari Sketch and Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei but I need to see more from them before I can wash the memory of season 2 of Mahoromatic out of my brain. (I know this is usually credited to Gainax but the encyclopedia shows Shaft as lead studio on season 2).

On the other hand, I always have a bit of trepidation with anything by GONZO or Gainax. The former is very erratic; on the one hand they did Gankutsuou, Basilisk and Last Exile, but they also foisted Gatekeepers, Burst Angel and Speed Grapher on us. The latter has a well-deserved (IMO) reputation for bad endings, and their heavily-hyped 20th anniversary show This Ugly Yet Beautiful World was the anime equivalent of a guy giving his wife a vacuum cleaner for their 20th anniversary-totally underwhelming (and who can forget the wonderful "island arc" from Nadia). I have shows on my shelf unwatched from both, so my feelings may change.

In the final analysis, I don't really base buying decisions on what studio did a show; try-before-buying is still the best way for me to avoid buying stinkers. It does affect the expectations I go into watching a show with.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:30 am Reply with quote
I chose Production I.G, although it was tough deciding between it and Madhouse. They're both stellar studios, so I just closed my eyes and moved my finger towards the screen. It was closer to Production I.G.

There were other studios that I thought would be a good choice, but ultimately they just didn't make it. SHAFT has its distinctive style, but it's getting a bit annoying now. KyoAni and Gainax are very good at animating, but I don't love love love their shows. GONZO has a terribly inconsistent track record. Studio DEEN is sloppy, even though (or maybe because) they've adapted things that I love.
Mylene

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:41 am Reply with quote
I can't even decide. Several of my favorite anime were made by different studios, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was the studio that made that series so great, you know? Plus, the production quality of said favorites weren't necessarily fantastic (Sailor Moon and Utena both had some lousy animation), so it'd be weird to vote for Toei or J.C. Staff. And my ability to notice quality in animation is vastly inferior to picking out excellence in voice acting.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I ended up going with Gainax because, well, they're pretty much what got me into anime.

However, something that annoyed me is the exclusion of Brains Base, who I find to be easily the highest quality producing studio of the past 5 years. Baccano, Denpa Teki na Kanojo, Kuragehime, Kamichu!, Natsume Yujinchou, Durarara, Kurenai, and this season's Mawaru Penguindrum amongst others. They definitely deserve to be listed.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a favorite per say so I will just talk about each group that KOH listed.

A-1 Pictures: The only show from them that I have seen to completion is Kannagi which I thought was good but not great show.

AIC: Well they did Tenchi Muyo which I've always enjoyed, and I enjoyed Bamboo Blade. Well they did the To Heart sequel which I did not like that much.

ARMS: Queen's Blade is favorite of mine, and I have watched some of the hentai they did. Of course Master of Martial Hearts negates most of my enjoyment of that company.

Bones: I love the Cowboy Bebop movie. I also enjoy Ouran and DTB.

Gainax: Haven't seen anything from them that I have disliked, so they are one of my favorites.

Ghibli: Have not disliked anything they make.

Gonzo: Regardless of what others may think about them I do enjoy Gonzo's works. Even some of their less successful shows I don't think are that bad.

JC Staff: The only show from them I did not care for was Iketeru Futari, but otherwise I enjoy their shows.

Kyoto Animation: Haven't watch anything from them that I disliked and they make good shows too.

Madhouse: I've liked most of what I have seen from them so I have a good opinion of them.

Manglobe gets a pass since I have not seen anything from them before same with PA Works.

Production IG: I've only liked Patlabor from them. I didn't like Blood: The Last Vampire at all.

Shaft: The only SHAFT produced (I do not count joint production shows) shows I have seen are Pani Poni Dash and Dance in the Vampire Bund which both are favorites of mine.

Studio DEEN: I've liked everything that I have seen from them so far so they have a good view in my opinion.

Sunrise: I have a special place in my heart for Sunrise being a huge Gundam fan.

Toei: Has a special place in my heart because of Sailor Moon which was the first anime show I watched when I was a young lad back in the 90's.

Xebec: They make a lot of the guilty pleasure shows that I love. Love Hina always has a place in my heart as a favorite series of mine, and the first non Gundam series anime DVD's I purchased. The only show from them that I didn't like was Pilot Candidate but I am pretty sure that no one likes that show.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a thing for Sunrise. They made the anime series that got me into anime, Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop! Sure, I think they've been more average in the past few years or so, but during their heyday they were just incredible!
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I ended up going with Gainax because, well, they're pretty much what got me into anime.

However, something that annoyed me is the exclusion of Brains Base, who I find to be easily the highest quality producing studio of the past 5 years. Baccano, Denpa Teki na Kanojo, Kuragehime, Kamichu!, Natsume Yujinchou, Durarara, Kurenai, and this season's Mawaru Penguindrum amongst others. They definitely deserve to be listed.

First, Penguindrum wasn't out when I made the list. If it had been, I would've given BB more of a look when deciding what studios to go with since they would've had a pretty strong threesome with Baccano, Durarara, and Penguindrum (and I suppose you can throw Enma-kun in there as well). At the time, though, I, personally, wasn't seeing a ton of splash from them.

Second, I only have so many spaces to work with, especially since I have to leave two spots for spambot posts and an other option. Honestly, if I had to remake the list right now, I would take down Manglobe, but still replace it with Studio Pierrot, which I feel is my biggest oversight. After that, it would've been battle between between Oriental Light and Magic (my second biggest oversight), Manglobe, Bee Train and Brain's Base, which most likely would've gotten the short stick again.

PA Works might've gotten the ax, too, but OLM definitely would've been there. I am actually starting to feel bad for including PA Works because despite having a very impressive resume, it's a rather small one.

And third, my butt BB is "easily" the best studio of the last five years:
-Shaft has put out Bakemonogatari, Madoka, ef, and Zetsubo Sensei
-Production IG has put out Eden of the East, Moribito, Sky Crawlers, Beast Player Erin, and Kimi ni Todoke.
-Kyoto Animation has put out Haruhi Suzumiya, Kanon, Clannad, Lucky Star, and Nichijou

Three studios that I think have a comparable or better rep than Brain's Base in the last 5 years. A-1 Pictures is also debatable with AnoHana, Birdy, Blue Exorcist, Big Windup, and Welcome to the Space Show.

EDIT: This post is not as aggressive as it sounds (to me, at least).

Last edited by The King of Harts on Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure Honey & Clover is JC Staff, not Production IG.

And if you're putting Denpa Onna on that high of a pedestal... it's probably best that we just agree to disagree Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3