• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Dub Madoka Magica Into English

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Veers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:11 am Reply with quote
Good news, and, honestly, somewhat unexpected. As others have said, though, what I'm more concerned with is getting it on BD.

Quote:
I've reviewed a few Blu-Rays where I had a DVD version to compare and, based on that, can say that the amount of visual difference the upgrade make to a non-videophile varies a lot from title to title and depends quite a bit on how old it is. BR seems to make a big difference in heavily CG-animated titles (like To), less so with titles mostly done with regular animation. And you're right, BR does tend to make any flaws in the visuals or animation more apparent.

Having been keeping up with the Japanese BDs, I can say the show looks great in 1080p. Some of the derpy off-model parts still look derpy, but overall it looks pretty good. It would be a crime to release Madoka on DVD only.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:09 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Have you even watched the show? Even a little bit?

No I haven't seen any of it. However, I never claimed to have any opinion on the actual quality of the show so don't get your panties in a bunch. All I'm saying it that from a business perspective, dubbing this and not Blue Exorcist makes very little sense.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:00 am Reply with quote
Rukia: Actually, if I were one of those early adopters who paid full MSRP for Garden of Sinners, I'd be hella pissed at that story, and demand some of my money back from Aniplex. This isn't like pre-ordering KOR and Macross, as fans were led to believe that there were no plans for a cheaper release of GoS. Anyway, this just proves y'all should wait out those Kenshin Blu-Rays until they're discounted, or you'll likely equally get scammed.

ikillchicken:
Quote:
At face value though, it's still a show about a bunch of little moe looking girls in pink frilly outfits. (Sure guys, it's totally going to air on Adult Swim. )

Well, they got Panty and Stocking to air, so you never know.

As for marketing Madoka, just compare it to Sucker Punch. Rolling Eyes

Key: Actually, Durarara's one of Aniplex's "cheap" releases. Look up how much they're charging for R.O.D. on Blu-Ray on Right Stuf if you wanna experience true sticker shock.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:54 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

As for marketing Madoka, just compare it to Sucker Punch. Rolling Eyes

I prefer This one.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
At face value though, it's still a show about a bunch of little moe looking girls in pink frilly outfits. (Sure guys, it's totally going to air on Adult Swim. )
Quote:
Well, they got Panty and Stocking to air, so you never know.

Did I miss a memo?
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:20 am Reply with quote
Well this is interesting. The people that imported the Japanese Blu-Rays are probably going "FFFUU" more now. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
notrogersmith

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:23 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
However I still feel it's largely a waste because I think the majority of the people that buy it already saw it, and would prefer the Japanese voices.

I would be one of the ones who'd buy the DVD after having seen the fansub, but having a dub provides an incentive to actually rewatch the show on DVD rather than just leave it on my shelf. Watching it dubbed would be a new experience, while watching the subbed DVD would mostly be a rehash of what I've seen and heard before.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:31 am Reply with quote
notrogersmith wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
However I still feel it's largely a waste because I think the majority of the people that buy it already saw it, and would prefer the Japanese voices.

I would be one of the ones who'd buy the DVD after having seen the fansub, but having a dub provides an incentive to actually rewatch the show on DVD rather than just leave it on my shelf. Watching it dubbed would be a new experience, while watching the subbed DVD would mostly be a rehash of what I've seen and heard before.

I agree with this a lot. I watched fansubs, and bought (half of) the Japanese DVDs, but I can't wait for the dub. I wasn't going to buy the R1 DVDs if they didn't have an English dub, but I guess I'll be buying them now. Hopefully I'll enjoy the English dub, because with its art, this show would be nice to watch without subtitles
utawoutau

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:33 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
That would be a shocker considering we haven't had a magical girl series on TV for a long time.

Yes, but saying that Madoka Magica is just a magical girl series is like saying that Silence of the Lambs is just a procedural crime drama.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:05 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Rukia: Actually, if I were one of those early adopters who paid full MSRP for Garden of Sinners, I'd be hella pissed at that story, and demand some of my money back from Aniplex. This isn't like pre-ordering KOR and Macross, as fans were led to believe that there were no plans for a cheaper release of GoS. Anyway, this just proves y'all should wait out those Kenshin Blu-Rays until they're discounted, or you'll likely equally get scammed.

They probably meant that they had no plans to release more of the Blu-ray version since that set was, you know, Limited Edition. Just like the upcoming Rurouni Kenshin Blu-rays.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Rukia: I don't buy that, either. If the DVD makes money, they'll no doubt sell a BD set, albeit one which is downgraded from all those overpriced extras no one wanted or needed.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Dub or not, I'll be waiting for a stream before I plunk down the price Aniplex will demand.

If it's as good as everyone says it is, it will sell itself regardless of the language tracks.

Despite this good news, I'm still waiting for titles to be released which were announced at last year's anime cons.

You know, like Shana II??

*sigh*
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Rukia: I don't buy that, either. If the DVD makes money, they'll no doubt sell a BD set, albeit one which is downgraded from all those overpriced extras no one wanted or needed.

That is your problem then. And since you didn't even buy the set in the first place then you have zero rights to bitch if they were to release cheaper alternatives.

Also, my name is spelled Rukiia.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Nice, been waiting for this one to get licensed, but I wasn't expecting a dub.

The only thing that sucks is it's Aniplex...not saying they aren't good, they just charge way too much for their anime.

And, as hyped as this one is, and a probable BD release. I could see this one being like $40 per each 3-4 episode disc.

But, I'll buy it anyway!!

Mami FTW!!!
Max465

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:47 pm Reply with quote
JaffaOrange wrote:
Max465 wrote:
*Head desks rapidly* WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY???

Aniplex USA announces three new titles and out of those three my least favorite is the only one to get a dub??? Damn Aniplex, they should all be getting dubs.

Hell, despite all the shit Funi has pulled recently they're still my favorite dubbers. Why? BECAUSE THEY DUB EVERYTHING THEY RELEASE TO DVD!!

Because they invest more money on (or dub) the thing that will likely sell the most and dubbing all their shows costs more money than they're willing to invest?

But compared to the other two shows they licensed, Oreimo and Exorcist, Madoka was shit. I think Madoka was shit anyway. I would have bought Oreimo or Blue Exorcist had they been dubbed. Not buying Madoka, and now neither will I buy Exorcist or Oreimo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8