• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ms. Answerman: Answer's 12

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:25 am Reply with quote
Re: Butterflies

The butterfly motif may also be used sometimes to reference the Chinese proverb about a philosopher (Taoist patriarch Zhangzi (p-y)) dreaming he was a butterfly and upon waking not knowing whether he was a philosopher who had just had a dream as a butterfly, or a butterfly just beginning to dream it was a philosopher.

ie. the subjective nature of reality

At least in the cowboy bebop movie it seems that this might be part of the butterfly reference as Vincent, though lost in his own hell, is clearly aware that reality is not always all it seems. The butterflies look very cool and otherworldly. Anyway, I'm sure other people probably have insight into butterflies as a symbol. My neko is licking my nose.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:46 am Reply with quote
Here I thought Full Metal Alchemist had the same director as Full Metal Jacket. No wonder R. Lee Ermey never showed up in the show.

-Xenos
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:16 am Reply with quote
A lot of people confused Fullmetal Alchemist (note the official title is only two words) with Full Metal Panic, especially when they were pretty new and not much known about them. They're totally different and unrelated though- Full Metal Panic has that as its title in Japanese, while Fullmetal Alchemist is translated from Hagane no Renkinjutsushi. (and incidently, 'hagane' actually means 'steel', they called it 'fullmetal' because it sounded cool?)

People who haven't seen at least one of the series easily get it confused, though... Anime dazed At least I haven't seen anyone mixing up Hagaren and Busou Renkin in a while...
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:26 am Reply with quote
Also in the FMA/FMP debate is Kenshin creator Nobuhiro Watsuki's "Armored Alchemist" ("Busou Renkin"), which also has nothing to do with either of the first two. Yay...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
biliano*

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:07 am Reply with quote
Another similarity between FMA and FMP: Vic Mignogna, who does an excellent job as the English VA of Edward Elric, is also the English VA of Kurz Weber in FMP.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:57 am Reply with quote
So practically no chance for a Cardcaptor Sakura boxset. Damn! Anime cry
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:10 am Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:
Also in the FMA/FMP debate is Kenshin creator Nobuhiro Watsuki's "Armored Alchemist" ("Busou Renkin"), which also has nothing to do with either of the first two. Yay...

Already mentioned that. :p

Incidently, though, "armored alchemist" is a mistranslation by smoeone who's never actually read the manga. First of all, if you bother to look it up "busou" refers to "armaments", not "armor", and secondly the phrase as used in the manga by the characters means something more like "alchemy weapon". Now if it'd just been translated right, wouldn't be all this confusion... Heh.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:04 am Reply with quote
ACDragonMaster wrote:
(and incidently, 'hagane' actually means 'steel', they called it 'fullmetal' because it sounded cool?)

I would hazard a guess that this is the only real reason that FMP and FMA have similar titles. The Japanese love to string random English words together (see: t-shirts), so maybe "full metal" (thank you, Stanley Kubrick) got popular for a while.
~Brain.Wav~

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:41 pm Reply with quote
To avoid the spam, I'd suggest either a mail client with a Spam filter, like Thunderbird or if you can have the mail forwarded to another account, GMail's spam filter is top notch. The former won't be all that great at first, as you have to train the filter, but the latter recieves "training" from all GMail members.
Jadress

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Hmm.. I remember renting ADV's "Suikoden- Demon Century" OAV when I was younger. Aside from it being insanely crappy, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it had any relation to the Suikoden games at all. The video games take place in a fairly typical fantasy/medieval type setting and are about war and politics, where I believe the OAV took place in modern times and seemed to be about a group of demon killers or something. -_-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JHawkNH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:22 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
So practically no chance for a Cardcaptor Sakura boxset. Damn! Anime cry

An art box would be great, but the series is 17 vol's and 2 movies long so that would be one loooong box. Laughing
But if you really want one you may be able to find a Fanartist that will make one for you, although it could get spendy. But check the artists previous work out first because alot of them are not very good.
wao

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Aw geez, the kid who lives in Singapore only needed to check the bloody papers and find out that they air Inuyasha on TV... Although it's at 11:30 (but he can stay up and watch the much better Juuni Kokki!) on Central. I'm dead sure the manga's out around around and it's likely that VCDs are out - I'll ask my friend if it came out in MAGE, she says if it does then it's usually going to be released on VCD.
Proman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:08 pm Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Here I thought Full Metal Alchemist had the same director as Full Metal Jacket. No wonder R. Lee Ermey never showed up in the show.

-Xenos

Stanley Kubrick directing anime? Brilliant idea Smile . It's too bad he's dead.
JHU Battousai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:57 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
So practically no chance for a Cardcaptor Sakura boxset. Damn! ;_;

Well, for an official one, yeah, there's no real chance of that happening.

However, Nick de Santis has apparently designed a pair of metal boxes for Paul Champagne to produce. (image)

I personally think the metal boxes are gorgeous, and they're on my list to buy, once I finish acquiring the series.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:40 am Reply with quote
Shocked

Wow! That looks so cool. I wouldn't mind buying those even though they're unofficial.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2