• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Animerica Extra Canceled

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Seemed like only a matter of time. I'm kinda surprised it lasted as long as it did after Viz started Shonen Jump. It was a different demographic, sure, but I'm guessing Viz probably found that Extra was doing worse than they realized when compared to the popularity of SJ. Also, it seems like circulation was probably dropping, I don't recall seeing it at any retailers any more, and it's not like they've been doing a lot to advertise it, more like just letting it die on its own.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Ouch. Pulp dead, now Animerica Extra - another couple of years, and the entire late-'90's manga magazine scene will basically have disappeared. Not that it's particularly unexpected; the market's moved on and that kind of model is simply not relevant anymore.

Still, in its own way, an end of another era.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Seemed like only a matter of time. I'm kinda surprised it lasted as long as it did after Viz started Shonen Jump. It was a different demographic, sure, but I'm guessing Viz probably found that Extra was doing worse than they realized when compared to the popularity of SJ. Also, it seems like circulation was probably dropping, I don't recall seeing it at any retailers any more, and it's not like they've been doing a lot to advertise it, more like just letting it die on its own.

Emerje

Jumping to conclusion?

Might not be dead due to sale, but to free up resource (people/money) for their new Shoujo Anthology they've have been hitting.

Last edited by darkhunter on Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
tropical_kit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:32 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:

Might not be dead due to sale, but to free up resource for their new Shoujo Anthology they've have been hitting.

Oh, I hope you're right. The thought of no more Yumi Tamura titles is more than I can bear.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:34 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Emerje wrote:
*Says that it didn't sell when juxtaposed to Shonen Jump, thus it died*

Jumping to conclusion?

Might not be dead due to sale, but to free up resource for their new Shoujo Anthology they've have been hitting.

You're probably both right. I'm sure that if only one factor was an issue, this wouldn't happen.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:32 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
Ouch. Pulp dead, now Animerica Extra - another couple of years, and the entire late-'90's manga magazine scene will basically have disappeared. Not that it's particularly unexpected; the market's moved on and that kind of model is simply not relevant anymore.

Still, in its own way, an end of another era.

Well, Smile already died

So that leaves Mangazine, which is actually amerimanga, and I'm not sure if they put anything out for November or December yet... It started in 1999

There's Super Manga Blast, which has been running since March 2000 (so it's not a late 90's magazine, but still, same vein)...

Raijin died, but it started in 2002...

So essentially, unless there's something I'm missing, all of North America's Manga anthologies from the late 90s are already dead...

The only anthologies currently on the market are Super Manga Blast and Shonen Jump.

-t
hikura

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:32 pm Reply with quote
This sucks.I acutally enjoyed the series they had in the books.I really enjoyed utena and banana fish.Well i hope they keep doing banana fish as graphic novels(finish the series i mean).
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Not really surprised. The titles people would've wanted from Animerica Extra are already in TPB form. They should've put more higher-profile manga in there to attract a wider base of customers.
Shinotaku14
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I didn't see this coming. It became painfully obvious to me that this mag wasn't all that popular/selling well when the same issue had been sitting in suncoast's manga section for a half a year or so. I might have liked to read it though, so this is indeed sad news. Anime cry
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:11 am Reply with quote
That's a shame, but I was expecting it to happen eventually. I never read Animerica Extra, but it's still too bad that the US has lost another manga magazine. It's a wonder that Super Manga Blast! is still being published. It would be too bad if that were canceled, but at least Shadow Star and Exaxxion would come out quicker.
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm not especially sad to see it go. I subscribed for awhile but was generally dissatisfied with Viz subscriptions. Personally, I'd rather get the book format every 2-3 months with the anthology cancelled than the book format every six months with the anthology still being printed (basically double handling).
astra

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:58 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sad about this. This is the magazine that got me into anime in the first place with Fushigi Yugi. I never subscribed (didn't want the parents to see the covers...), but I bought it regularly at magazine stores. Personally, I'd rather see Animerica go first. I remember when it was the only thing out there and it was really horrible. Bad graphics, poorly written rave reviews... blah.
But Animerica Extra was wonderful. It really struck me as a sweet, quaint magazine. They had some great titles as well. Fushigi Yugi, Video Girl Ai, Utena. I'll miss my teen angst. Their reviews of Japanese manga inspired me to take Japanese in high school so I could read them and I'm continuing in college.
Yeah, the end of an era :/
AnimeHeretic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:02 pm Reply with quote
astra wrote:
Personally, I'd rather see Animerica go first. I remember when it was the only thing out there and it was really horrible. Bad graphics, poorly written rave reviews... blah.

In other words, just like today... Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1