• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: YTV New Year's Eve Anime Marathon

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dagwood

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:24 am Reply with quote
What is YTV? Anyone? How would one aquire it? I'm interested in watching this, accept for Dragon Ball Z and Yu-Gi-Oh. I don't care much for those. I've never seen Beyblade, or Gundam Seed, but I want to, and that's the important thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:32 am Reply with quote
I believe YTV is a Canadian channel.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:48 am Reply with quote
YTV stands for "Youth Television" its a Canadian cable only channel that is geared, as the name states, towards an under-18 audience.

I don't know of it being available anywhere in the United States...

http://www.ytv.com/

-t
CyberSilver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:02 am Reply with quote
We must remember, the ANN is Canadian. *A big maple leaf apears on the front page logo*
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:28 am Reply with quote
CyberSilver wrote:
We must remember, the ANN is Canadian. *A big maple leaf apears on the front page logo*

Has nothing to do with it.

ANN is dedicated to the North American market. That's what you should remember.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:13 am Reply with quote
http://www.ytv.com/programming/spec/whats_hot/index.asp

That's the source, in case you were wondering.

While I'm glad that they're trying to keep all of the shows on track after having to skip an airing on Christmas Eve, I think it's a bit silly for YTV to air these episodes on New Year's Eve considering that most of the target demographic for Bionix (12-17) won't be home. Hell, I won't even be home.

If you want to request that YTV repeat the programs later in the week, you can email them at [email protected]. I suggested that they air them on the following Thursday. That seems to make the most sense.

You can't get YTV in the US, just like you can't get CN in Canada. A year ago I would've said you're lucky, but honestly, by showing the original intros and airing SEED significantly less cut than the US version (no disco guns up here!), YTV is slowly become just as good, if not better, as CN when it comes to airing anime. All they need is a couple of shows that haven't aired in the States.

Also, since a number of you have been asking about this, my website will probably be back up after Christmas. I'll keep you posted.
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:15 am Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
A year ago I would've said you're lucky, but honestly, by showing the original intros and airing SEED significantly less cut than the US version (no disco guns up here!), YTV is slowly become just as good, if not better, as CN when it comes to airing anime.

I thought that only lasted for an episode or two before they went back to regular guns...

The biggest distraction was watching Mirei (sp?) get mad at Diarka for taunting her about loosing Tall (sp?), look over at the table with the knife on it...and then start awkwardly bashing him with her fist? You can tell from the way she's holding her fist that the knife was supposed to go there. And suddenly, it showed up in a flashback! Anyways, just my two cents.
Djablesse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:14 am Reply with quote
The less editing the better, as far as I'm concerned!! Wink I live in the Caribbean and we subscribe to the US's channels, so I guess CN will have to be enough for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:23 am Reply with quote
I guess I'm glad I'm not in Canada. After all, I'll probably be staying awake all Christmas Night watching R.O.D. the Movie and the Animatrix. Besides, I'll be at a party on the Dick Clark-less New Year's Eve.

Does anyone know if CN is doing their New Year's Evil (sp?) again?
Poppycock

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they're going to show those DBZ movies unedited, since they're on so late. If so, then I see why Bardock The Father of Goku is on so late, that one is really violent compared to the other DBZ movies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
KawaiiKitty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:10 pm Reply with quote
They show these DBZ movies every year on New years eve. I don't really pay attnetion to the DBZ movies so I can't really say if they're heavily edited to not. I'm glad about the new episodes though Very Happy!!

A lot of people took interest in anime since YTV started airing these new shows. There's even a "Merry Manga" section at chapters!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Manga
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Chapters have FINALLY gotten their act together in regards to manga this year. I actually found a few copies of Fruits Basket down there the other day. Unfortunately, Viz won't have their manga deal with Simon & Schuster's Canada going until early 2005. Hopefully the shelves won't get saturated with Tokyopop stuff TOO much...

And the DBZ movies are always aired unedited, even when they play in the afternoon. Or at least they aren't edited like the CN versions.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:28 pm Reply with quote
That would be great news if I actually cared about any of those shows.

Also, now that I'm in Ottawa, I have a remarkably similar opinion about Tokyopop saturating the comic book corner of Chapters; that would be great news if I actually cared about any of those titles. Fortunately, the Chapters in Ottawa has a modest French section, so I can still get a decent selection of good manga, and, if Chapters doesn't have what I want, I can always cross the Ottawa river into Hull/Gatineau and shop at Renaud-Bray. (Though, to be fair, some of the *good* titles I read in French are also published in English by Tokyopop, it's just that the French version is usually several volumes ahead of the English version and almost every French-language manga publisher includes the spiffy dust-covers, and, while my French has always been shaky, it's more than adequate to understand 99% of manga titles.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, like I said, the sections should become a little more balanced out once Viz gets their distribution back up and running here again. I just hope it doesn't take too long because I'll be seriously pissed if my local Chapters isn't fully stocked with I"s and Fullmetal Alchemist as soon as they're supposed to be released.

Not that the Tokyopop stuff is destroying the market up here or anything. Ask any thirteen year old girl who hangs out in the manga section of Chapters what her favourite titles are and she'll probably name off more series' than you or I have even heard of.
Dagwood

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:08 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame that we can't get that channel (YTV), and the Canadians can't get CN, what a downer!

To my point, Thanks to everyone who answered my question, I appreciate it a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2