• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Distribution Centre Burned in London Riots

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:43 am Reply with quote
These people are pure scum. They should have water jetted the lot of them before it ever got this far.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:58 am Reply with quote
The police really shouldn't of let it get this bad. Its just gonna get more worse and spead to more places. The news are asking completely the wrong questions as well. They have been incredibly offensive to some of the people they have interviewed.
DarkMeph

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:39 am Reply with quote
whatever the police do it going to be wrong. It just senseless and it not going to change anything. It was shocking to see it on the news. I am just glad that their have not been any deaths.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:30 am Reply with quote
"its only warehouse for content products in the UK... There will likely be some impact on deliveries"

...yeah, something like that...

I wondered briefly last night if this might affect Sony's release of First Squad and Millennium Dragon but I wasn't quite aware of the scale an importance of the building.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:11 am Reply with quote
Beez have confirmed that they are affected via Twitter, although to what extent it unknown. No-one at Sony was hurt thankfully.

Quote:
We'd like to apologize to fans just now - there will be a slowdown in stock dispatch due to our warehouse burning down in the riots. The important thing is that at least from reports no workers were hurt.
We're working as quickly as possible to find solutions but it will take a little bit of time to fix, thanks for your patience on this.
Thanks for the well wishes guys - right now all we know is the place was torched. We'll update as soon as we have it. Best case: There's stock left and things can be brought on track quickly. Worst case will take longer.
Also worth mentioning is it's not our staff - but was at Sony DADC's warehouse. Their staff are reported to be OK though.

MangaUK is still tweeting away as normal and haven't mentioned any problems.

MVM are just reporting the same problem with Beez stock (since they also operate the anime-on-line store):

Quote:
Due to the recent rioting and fires one of the building's that stored Beez stock has been burnt so there may be a delay in acquiring Beez stock for the next few weeks.

--edit--

Beez also added the following on Facebook:

Quote:
We'll have a little downtime folks for now while we try to pick up a few pieces after Sony DADC's distribution warehouse burnt down.

Important points:

1) Nobody was hurt in the warehouse.
2) Everyone is working as quickly as possible to fix things.

We'll still be at Ayacon in just over a week's time so will fill you guys in more then. In the meantime please be patient and we'll let everyone know what's going on as soon as we do.

Last edited by Shiroi Hane on Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hayate_Kun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:19 am Reply with quote
DarkMeph wrote:
whatever the police do it going to be wrong. It just senseless and it not going to change anything. It was shocking to see it on the news. I am just glad that their have not been any deaths.

There were deaths involved, one police officer was murdered and many sent to the hospitals. I live in London and I can constantly hear sirens outside my house. Hopefully there won't be anymore riots to come.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:31 am Reply with quote
The Guardian and the BBC have detailed the disastrous impact on independent record labels:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/aug/09/independent-record-labels-stock-london-riots
http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/14460204
DarkMeph

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:42 am Reply with quote
hayate_Kun wrote:
DarkMeph wrote:

There were deaths involved, one police officer was murdered and many sent to the hospitals. I live in London and I can constantly hear sirens outside my house. Hopefully there won't be anymore riots to come.

Sorry at the time of posting I had not heard that. I knew a lot of injuries to police officers but the scale of the damage that has been done we are lucky that it has not been a lot worse.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Beez, like everyone else there, lost potentially all their stock in that fire. Waiting for final confirmation just now.

http://forums.animeuknews.net/viewtopic.php?p=335027#335027
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:
They should have water jetted the lot of them before it ever got this far.

Alas, circumstances worsened to the extent that water jets could only be directed at the destruction left in the ne'er-do-wells' wake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:32 am Reply with quote
Update from Beez:

Quote:
To confirm - all stock was destroyed, anything currently in shops will be the only stock that will be around for at least a few weeks.
Thanks to everyone for their well wishes - we're just looking at what the best course of action is now for reprints etc.
Rest assured - this is just a delay as opposed to anything else though and hang in there while we get moving again Smile.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1