• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Episode Counts

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Something that's been brought up as an error report more than once now is the Azumanga Daioh episode count.

We list AzuDai as having 130 "episodes".
However, people keep writing to say that there are only 26 episodes.

Well... Yes, there are, physically, only 26 30-minute "episodes" on the DVDs. However, each episode is broken up into 5 "segments" (the characters that appear in the upper-left corner, for those of you who've seen the series, represent each new segment).

Thus we could order the episodes in this fashion:
Episode # : Segment #s
1 : 1-5
2 : 6-10
3 : 11-15
25 : 121-125
26 : 126-130

The same sort of thing applies to series like Crayon Shin-chan (where 2-3 "segments" per episode aren't uncommon), AnPan Man, and so forth.

I don't believe we have any clearly defined precident for the Encyclopedia yet about -how- to count the length of series... but I seem to recall several Japanese magazines listing Crayon Shin-chan in sets of 2 "episodes" per week..

So, what's everyone's thoughts on the matter?

is it better to have 130 episodes? or 26 episodes?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Spatula

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
is it better to have 130 episodes? or 26 episodes?

I'm for the 26 episode count since the five parts were shown as a continuous block overall despite the breaks (much like the acts in a play). You didn't mention it (although, I am sure that you are already aware of it), but Urusei Yatsura is the same way, so I don't see why this should be any different.

I do like the "Episode #: Segment #s" idea; if someone puts the titles of each "Segment," then it would be more informative and would help to curb people who wish to "correct" such an "error" in listing.
SilverMoon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:32 pm Reply with quote
it would be kinda wierd to say "Hey did you see episode 126?!" (j/k)
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 2:29 am Reply with quote
I think it's more appropriate to list it as 26 episodes, because each of these 25-minute episodes has an op+ed, not each of the 5-minute parts. In contrast, there are some 5- or 10-minute anime which are not shown in such a block and have an op+ed even though they have such a small running time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1