• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Chat: Chris Nelson, TAN Programming Director (Take II)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
<Tempest> What's going on with Animax, and do you expect to be able to "fight them off?"
<ChrisNelson> I honestly don't know what's going on with Animax. We're thrilled to be available RIGHT NOW in over 12 million households across America. We think that's a pretty good way to start a network dedicated to anime...
<ChrisNelson> We simply want to continue what we're doing, focus on making Anime Network as dynamic and engaging as possible. We've been honored by the response we've gotten, from hundreds of thousands of fans across the country.
<ChrisNelson> Their viewership has helped make Anime Network a breakout success in Video On Demand, and the first and only channel to ever launch linearly from the VOD platform.
<ChrisNelson> We're focused on continuing to bring the best programming that we can to as many viewers as we can, day in and day out. At the end of the day, we believe that Anime Network will continue to be a success.

The question was "can you beat them?" and he basically answered with "we were here first! we rock!". I mean it's an obvious sign of confidence, but the way it's written makes it seem like he's dodging the question.

Being available to 12 million people is fine, but you shouldn't really brag until you've got what, 12 million people watching it? I dunno.
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:44 am Reply with quote
Did you forget that the first thing he said in his response was, "I honestly don't know what's going on with Animax," or did you just selectively ignore it?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:19 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Did you forget that the first thing he said in his response was, "I honestly don't know what's going on with Animax," or did you just selectively ignore it?

Actually, no I didn't forget, as "They haven't done anything yet" doesn't consitute as "I don't know", "yes", or "no". See, they wouldn't be pulling this "RING COMCAST AND DEMAND TAN NOW!" crap publicity stunt if they didn't know what kind of pressure Sony could put their heavily invested network under. Something like "I can't comment right now" or what-not would've come across much better (and there is a difference), but what he did was take the question, partially answer it, and then turn it into "LOOK AT US. WERE NUMBER #1". Then again, publicity stunt.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Were you really expecting much of substance from an ADV representative, since ADV is master of the "vague-but-enthusiastic" press release?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Were you really expecting much of substance from an ADV representative, since ADV is master of the "vague-but-enthusiastic" press release?

LADY DEATH IS NUMBER 1!

THATS RIGHT, NUMBER 1!

NUMBER 1!! OF SOMETHING!!
Kalium

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:45 am Reply with quote
Quote:
<Tempest> <bishiehunterenya> What is the possibility of getting an anime music video block?
<ChrisNelson> We've currently got something we call Bento Beat Box, which features J Pop, JRock and JHop music videos.
<ChrisNelson> In terms of the anime music videos that I often see at cons, there are some rights issues involved with airing most that I've seen.

I notice that he doesn't say whether they are going to try to resolve any of the issues or not, simply that there are issues.
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:30 am Reply with quote
It's possible that the issues are licensing issues that can't just be "resolved."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1