• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Hyakka Ryōran Samurai Girls Blu-Ray

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kohii

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I got my copy last week. It wasn't as terrible as it seems. If it's about fanservice, ARMs knows what they are doing.

Typical harem male protagonist. But that's common these days.

I agree with the review. A typical harem, with some other decent attributes.

Btw, Hanzo actually was a maid who also happened to be a ninja (sheesh, give her werewolf abilities and you got yourself a KoreZombie character). She served Sen and her family, and as such, the maid outfit was more fitting than the uncute shinobi getup.
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The English script stays close to the subtitles but every so often the English voice actors get a word wrong: an “at” is inserted where an “of” should be, “the” instead of “a,” the wrong form of a word for context, and so forth

I once read a really bad script for a stage play someone had written where the writer tried to put an odd twist to the style of speaking and part of it involved examples you just named.

Was this somehow intentional on the directors behalf or truly an error?

Because honestly, these are errors I would only expect out of someone who didn't completely speak English.
R.G.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote
Now I'm intrigued.

I enjoyed Sentai's Needless, so maybe this ought to be good.
The American Average

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:32 am Reply with quote
Aug. 23? No can do Deus Ex Human Revolution comes out that day.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:18 am Reply with quote
So what is the deal with regular dub actors using pseudonyms lately? This show has them, and the review of Dance in the Vampire Bund seems to indicate that some cast members used them there. Texas isn't controlled by an actors' union, so that can't be it. It's not like fan service filled harem shows are anything new or shocking.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:44 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
So what is the deal with regular dub actors using pseudonyms lately? This show has them, and the review of Dance in the Vampire Bund seems to indicate that some cast members used them there. Texas isn't controlled by an actors' union, so that can't be it. It's not like fan service filled harem shows are anything new or shocking.

I could understand with DitVB, as that one certainly has some edgy and provocative content (despite what anyone argues to the contrary). Except maybe for the one omake episode which deals with lolicon, though, I don't see it here. This isn't the first time that ADV/Sentai actors have used creative pseudonyms (they also did it in This Ugly Yet Beautiful World, which also had some young-looking nudity), but there doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:44 am Reply with quote
With Dance in the Vampire Bund it was because the actors were worried about their main employers finding out they were involved in a show with very questionable material. One of the actors involved was a teacher. If anyone in their community found out there would probably be some problems. I'm not sure why Sentai's actors did it. Maybe for fun? If they are very recognizable they'd still get credit from anime fans.
tsunayakuin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I'll stick with the sub, can't stand too much Sentai dubbing.

Anyone know the actors for Bund's Alphonse and Wolfgang, one searches for the endless vearth, the other wants a tsundere girl who hates frogs.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
+ Unique visual style, effective musical score, strong final episode, plentiful fan service.

Is this a joke? That final episode was such a huge troll. The only thing going for it was the flashy action sequences. Hyakka Ryouran is a poor excuse for a samurai/harem show. The male protagonist is stale and weak from beginning to end. Really, the only good thing about this show is its unique visuals.

Last edited by Kit-Tsukasa on Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:33 pm Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
With Dance in the Vampire Bund it was because the actors were worried about their main employers finding out they were involved in a show with very questionable material. One of the actors involved was a teacher. If anyone in their community found out there would probably be some problems. I'm not sure why Sentai's actors did it. Maybe for fun? If they are very recognizable they'd still get credit from anime fans.

Its obviously for humorous purposes. Pretty much the same reason why the conjuctions are completely mixed up like engrish.

You know! Like, Zero Wing or Sonic CD's Japanese soundtrack.

I am now more excited about the upcomming September 19 screening at the Alamo.

Oh and you were wrong about Night Raid 1931, its actually a well executed scifi drama.
Master Luc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote
The voice cast? Are they the same from ADV or they are just using alias?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Oneeyedjacks wrote:
I once read a really bad script for a stage play someone had written where the writer tried to put an odd twist to the style of speaking and part of it involved examples you just named.

Was this somehow intentional on the directors behalf or truly an error?

Because honestly, these are errors I would only expect out of someone who didn't completely speak English.

I agree, it does sound like the type of error a non-English speaker would make. I wonder.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:36 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
chrisb wrote:

Its obviously for humorous purposes. Pretty much the same reason why the conjuctions are completely mixed up like engrish.

Apologies if this sounds blunt, but if you haven't heard the dub yet then you don't know what you're talking about. What I'm referring to is not "Engrish" or any deliberate attempt to parody it. I am reasonably confident that I would have picked up on something like that if it was going on. These are just errors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Well Theron, The screening is in 3 weeks. Once I view the dub myself, I shall make my own final judgement or whether or not this engrish is inentional.

For now, I stand by my belief that its not accidental, because knowning ADV and most of Seraphrim's recent dubs, they almost never make mistakes in thier ADR productions, they have always been serious and stuffy about editing and deleting diolouge thats wrong or mispronoucing of Japanese names and words.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Anime hyper Those are some hilarious fake names! Whoever came up with them must've had a wicked sense of humor! This is certainly the show to have that style! I can understand why the actors did so - New York actors do it all the time, especially since they are also involved with kids shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2