• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nickelodeon Jumps into Pseudo-Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lost_Toys

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:40 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Wyvern"]
Utils wrote:

This is pretty much Nick's buissness model, and probably part of why Invader Zim was canceled despite good ratings (the creators of Zim intended it to have an evolving plot, which would make it harder for Nick to repeat the episodes forever and pretend they were new.)

No, the reason for Invader Zim's cancellation is the show itself. Nickelodeon has a long history of destroying shows that are/become too adult oriented for the image they are trying to create within the mindset of Americans. Despite being created as basically an arm of MTV, they aggresively try to maintain an image of "family entertainment." [even within the frame of their Nick and Nite - they got a lot of flack when they started to air Rossane episodes].

Ren and Stimpy had the same problem [the last several episodes were actually produced in Russia in an attempt to save both animation costs and to better control the content]. Even indirect shows, like Duckman, were cancelled because of Nick's close affiliation with Klaspy and Csupo.

Quote:

Maybe they'll make an exception for Avatar, though; they seem to be pumping more money into the animation budget than ever before, at least.

As feature films start to lose their appeal [ie. their ability to gross] you will see a lot more money put into television productions [especially in animation - since they are becoming financially unviable]. We have already seen this in the live action segment of American television [everywhere from CSI to the 3-5 million dollar per episode Lost].

Animation is becoming a new battleground as Disney slips within the American mindset. Fox, Sony, and Lucasfilm have set up new animation studios in Singapore and Korea because they see a future in animated television [thanks in part to the amazing DVD sales of Family Guy, Futurama, and other "cult" shows]
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:56 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Utils wrote:

Ugly or not, some kids like it, since Xiaolin Showdown routinely beats the anime on Foxbox by a margin of about 2:1 in the Saturday morning ratings, though Nickelodeon currently owns Saturday.

Of course, that may have more to do with the horrendous quality of the lame hackjob dubs 4Kids tries to pass off on kids on saturday mornings. I have a ten-year-old cousin who said he didn't like One Piece because "they don't let us see the blood and stuff." He doesn't know anything about the unedited versian of the show, but he can just tell that it's been altered. Kids are smarter than you think.

Or it could just be that, despite the inroads anime has made, American kids still like American cartoons just fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Utils wrote:
One show that borrowed well from anime while staying unique was Jacki Chan's adventures. Actually, they borrowed from many sources both animated and live action. But it was forged it a unique and enjoyable product that could stand on its own. It didn't look like your typical american show nor did it look like anime. It was it's own show. One thing you could tell was that it was animated by Dongwoo. It's probably the soft lines and rounded surfaces but you can always tell a dongwoo animated show.

Although, TMNT doesn't look like the typical Dongwoo animated show. It's probably all the cg effects they use.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person who enjoyed Jackie Chan Adventures (at least until they started doing some ridiculous things with those masks). And its interesting to learn that the same studio did TMNT.
Utils

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what it is but you can always tell a DongWoo animated show. They do a lot of the action programs, like Men in Black, Big Guy and Rusty.

And it doesn't surprise me that Fox gets beat. Their lineup hasn't been so great since they lost their WB shows. Animaniacs moved the Tower to theWB and they took batman with them. And we got Freekazoid, etc.

Fox used to have a great weekday lineup. Will Eeek the Cat get a DVD or what? Speaking of cats on DVD, I just ordered Topcat season 1. I'M SO EXCITED!
FeralKat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:44 pm Reply with quote
(eee! My first post! Anime hyper ) My sis and I went to the Comic Con and we visited the Avatar panel. We saw a pilot episode--we were both amazed! The animation was fantastic (and they said it was "a little rough." Shocked) and it looks like a promising show! The creators said that they were venturing out of the usual Nick cartoons (12-15 minute shorts) and going for an ongoing storyline with character development, that would have an eventual ending. They even gave out posters at the end. Very Happy
PureIntent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I personally like America cartoons better. Both American and Japanese cartoons have series w/ plots and then there's the ones w/ NO plots. I guess the Japenese think they could fool us w/ the cute anime character w/ big eyes and over-exaggerated hair color and style. I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I don't like cute.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3