• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Arrested for Uploading Gundam UC #3 on Nico Nico

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kedie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:13 am Reply with quote
....This guy is totally not thinking at all... of all sites, why niconico... = =
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:55 am Reply with quote
lol, I was gonna say the same thing.

I mean, I've heard many a times things being uploaded to file sharing things and the like....
But really...
NicoNico?
Why?

Isn't that like, the equivalent to uploading the same thing to Youtube or something? (Granted, I don't think you'd be arrested...) I really would like to know his reasoning.

...this has got to be his first time doing this.

Last edited by peachsncreamsoda on Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:34 am; edited 1 time in total
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:15 am Reply with quote
It's the law that's idiotic, not the guy. It's the same reason why anyone uploads stuff for other people to see and comment on--shared interest. Except nearly anywhere else in the world you won't be arrested on the spot (nor have a criminal record for something like that)
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:29 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
It's the law that's idiotic, not the guy. It's the same reason why anyone uploads stuff for other people to see and comment on--shared interest. Except nearly anywhere else in the world you won't be arrested on the spot (nor have a criminal record for something like that)

Did you know that they sell Gundam Unicorn? In fact it's available in English, you can buy it on Amazon right now.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:31 am Reply with quote
From what I understand, Unicorn is an OVA... I don't think it played in any theaters o_0
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:36 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
From what I understand, Unicorn is an OVA... I don't think it played in any theaters o_0

Similar to the upcoming Rurouni Kenshin original video anime series, each volume of Mobile Suit Gundam UC has been playing in early screenings in select theaters in Japan before the regular home video release.
mix303

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:04 am Reply with quote
kedie wrote:
....This guy is totally not thinking at all... of all sites, why niconico... = =

Yea no kiding lol Laughing.
ronelm2000

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:01 am Reply with quote
Should have posted in on YT. Razz At least there you're bound by International Laws. Anime hyper
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Similar to the upcoming Rurouni Kenshin original video anime series, each volume of Mobile Suit Gundam UC has been playing in early screenings in select theaters in Japan before the regular home video release.

This and it was available on Playstation Network before the Blu-ray releases.
Napsack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
This is ridiculous. I suggest we boycott all movie theaters until this man is released. It's time we stood up for the little people.
Danette-Anime-Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:13 am Reply with quote
Anybody else think Japan's copyright laws are a little extreme?
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Danette-Anime-Otaku wrote:

Uh, no...? Has anybody here actually read the standard copyright warning before movies play? Laughing You can get 5 years prison time in the U.S., even if you're distributing without intent to make money.

The law's pretty obvious, it protects creators copyrights. This dude spread their work without permission, in clear violation of a law that protects the livelihoods of craftsmen. I'm gonna side with the creators on this one.

Napsack wrote:
This is ridiculous. I suggest we boycott all movie theaters until this man is released. It's time we stood up for the little people.

I'm calling Poe's Law on this. Laughing
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:33 am Reply with quote
Lightning Leo wrote:
Danette-Anime-Otaku wrote:

Uh, no...? Has anybody here actually read the standard copyright warning before movies play? Laughing You can get 5 years prison time in the U.S., even if you're distributing without intent to make money.

There is a difference between criminal and civil infringement and the vast majority of cases are of civil nature. So, US law is not at all the same. Even Japanese legislators bemoan how fair use is in the US (they are now debating some exceptions now but even then, it's nowhere near the same; e.g. sampling and parody are excluded)

Quote:
The law's pretty obvious, it protects creators copyrights. This dude spread their work without permission, in clear violation of a law that protects the livelihoods of craftsmen. I'm gonna side with the creators on this one.

First the people that actually worked on the show, the artists and animators, don't even own the copyright. Second, there's no "creator's side" here. The law is written by legislators and enforced on their own. Rather than simply pay compensation to the owners and/or a fine, you're turned into a criminal. Even if it reduces the incidents, how does any of this actually help the owners? There have been reports that cases of infringement temporarily drops, but there is no evidence whatsoever that shows arresting and turning people into criminals increases sales.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:03 am Reply with quote
Napsack wrote:

Apparently this guy felt big enough to think he could get away with this...
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote
See people, this is why you don't do it!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2