• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Idolmeister

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maaya

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
I remember actually trying to get into Morning Musume when I was younger. I realized it just wasn't my taste.

Oh, I think MM has some really funny and catchy (and sometimes simply crazy) songs, that I can enjoy listening to. Especially in some of the older songs they were definitely not taking themselves seriously. And the Baka Test show (you can find it on youtube) was just too funny.
domino

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Plus, it's over-the-top enough to be a comedy, but they expect me to watch it as a drama?! What were the creators thinking??? (Out of curiosity, what is the reason Haruka's idol crush and the student she met look identical?)

I don't think UtaPri is expected to be watched as a drama at all. Looks like comedy with silly romance added. Normal dramas probably don't have old chubby men running around in loincloths screaming random things in Engrish. And death chocolate.

As for Haruka's idol, since you asked (but more fun to watch on your own).... spoiler[the student she meets is the same person as her idol. He just pretends he isn't that idol because he does not like that he has to act like an idiot idol just to be allowed on a stage and is upset that he is wanted in the spotlight for being cutesy and handsome instead of his singing. He is trying to make a name for himself as himself rather than as that goofy idol persona. It's an interesting story.]
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:16 pm Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
The basic Japanese idol knowledge I got comes from a Japanese friends who love idols like SMAP and Mika Nakashima.

Er, Mika Nakashima is not an idol. She's an artist. She acts, yes, but it's not the same. SMAP is kind of beyond that point, but they're still a boy band despite their age.

An idol is specifically marketed as such. You can buy their photobooks, their photo card sets, their DVDs.

One extra weird thing is how fanboys basically "claim" them. The girls tend to be told not to date because the idea is that these girls are untouchable. Girls in Morning Musume and AKB48 have quit and been fired because they were caught in a relationship. The obsessive fanboys feel betrayed if a girl idol goes on a date, because he's dedicated so much time to her that nobody should be able to have her. It gets kinda crazy.

Bottom line, Mika Nakashima would not have this problem. Hahaha.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:53 am Reply with quote
Macron One wrote:

Keichitsu0305 wrote:
I have two questions about Mr. Dijkstra's collection.
1. Did he buy the Rightstuf version of Utena because of new content (since he already has the Central Park release)?

2. May I ask how much he spent on all Sailor Moon box sets? Because I, finally, found Season 1 on Amazon for a good price but everything else...well...not so much. >_>

The main reason i double-dipped on Utena was indeed because of the remaster and extra features. It being a Nozomi release made it a special priority, as i'm very fond of the company's habit of picking up good series that get overlooked by other R1 distributors and putting a lot of work into creating a quality product.

The Sailor Moon box sets cost me a pretty penny, as i purchased them after they had already been out of print for years. My insistance on buying everything in new-condition (shrinkwrapped) didn't help matters. Season 1 cost me $260, R was $300, S cost me $280 and SuperS was $145. I obtained the movies for a very reasonable $20 each. Fortunately for me, i had no such problem with the CCS box sets, which i purchased immediately upon their initial release.

Great Scott! *A*)
That's like $945 (without tax)!! Shocked Congrats for buying the whole series~
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Macron One wrote:

Keichitsu0305 wrote:
I have two questions about Mr. Dijkstra's collection.
1. Did he buy the Rightstuf version of Utena because of new content (since he already has the Central Park release)?

2. May I ask how much he spent on all Sailor Moon box sets? Because I, finally, found Season 1 on Amazon for a good price but everything else...well...not so much. >_>

The main reason i double-dipped on Utena was indeed because of the remaster and extra features. It being a Nozomi release made it a special priority, as i'm very fond of the company's habit of picking up good series that get overlooked by other R1 distributors and putting a lot of work into creating a quality product.

The Sailor Moon box sets cost me a pretty penny, as i purchased them after they had already been out of print for years. My insistance on buying everything in new-condition (shrinkwrapped) didn't help matters. Season 1 cost me $260, R was $300, S cost me $280 and SuperS was $145. I obtained the movies for a very reasonable $20 each. Fortunately for me, i had no such problem with the CCS box sets, which i purchased immediately upon their initial release.

Great Scott! *A*)
That's like $945 (without tax)!! Shocked Congrats for buying the whole series~

That's...not terribly unreasonable actually. I bought Sailor Moon, R, S, SuperS, and the movies as they came out, from Suncoast so I was paying MSRP (I wasn't really aware of Rightstuf, and I was leery of buying online at the time, plus the instant gratification thing) so I spent just shy of $750 on the whole thing before taxes. And he more than made up for that by getting the CCS box sets. Even if he paid MSRP for them, he'd have spent just shy of $200 for the series, not counting the movies. I, however, bought the singles as they came out, again paying MSRP, so I spent $540 on the series, not counting the movies. And I regret nothing!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5