• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Eh, It's A Living

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
The release date of Redline for the US/CAN is supposed to be sometime next year by Manga Ent. Manga UK's Twitter said it will be next year and that more information will be given this year at NYAF/NYCC.

Last edited by jrnemanich on Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I can't think of an anime that changed so much.. but I remember I kind of liked the video games Fahrenheit and Condemned 2 until that supernatural garbage halfway through where everyone turns into aliens and shoots energy beams at each other which ruined both games which were grounded in reality up until that point. Can't think of any anime examples, though.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Huh, Viz has largely been streaming shows subbed? That's kind of interesting, since the first VIZ show that I've actively watched was Monster on Hulu, and I only watched its dub. (I finished it a few days ago, and it was phenomenal!). Seeing that Monster is only being offered subtitled on Netflix, I was thinking that was kind of strange, but I guess not... which really stinks, because I like Viz's dubbing, and their dub of Monster was a damn fine one! Not only was the dubbing careful and fairly extensive in its casting, but it felt somewhat more fitting to watch it in English, as opposed to Japanese, in this very European setting.

I think I read somewhere-- some newer customer review of the first Monster box set on Amazon, in fact-- that Viz said, at some recent con, that it's going to be watching Monster's legal streams to help determine the future of its home video release. I certainly hope more people will watch this series so more sets will come out! This is be one of the few anime out there that doesn't give off that strong, possibly-alienating/stereotypical anime "vibe"; it's a show that I feel I could be perfectly comfortable watching the whole way through together with someone not into anime whatsoever, like my father. Having a dubbed version readily available to watch on a big screen (without having to resort to a hulu plus subscription) could make such viewing experiences all the more possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Hey Answerfans was rather touching this week. I wish I had wrote something and sent it in. If you don't mind Answerman, I'll reply very briefly here.

Besides being an anime and manga fan, I like to read books. I'm interested in classic literature, and I am a Tolkien reader. I have an interest in mythology, particularly Norse, Germanic and Celtic (basically everything that inspired Tolkien.) I love music, and consider myself a music aficiondo. (I might've misspelled that, sorry.) I am a music major, and hope to become a studio/session musician. I am a pianist and guitarist, and have aspirations to be a multi-instrumentalist.

Nice replies to Anserfans this week. It was different sure, but some of the nicest replies I have seen in that segment.
toyNN

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Redline didn't seem to have a big dvd/bd sales in Japan, under 4k I think on Oricon . I believe Zak and others who say its really good - but why not better sales?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote
toyNN wrote:
Redline didn't seem to have a big dvd/bd sales in Japan, under 4k I think on Oricon . I believe Zak and others who say its really good - but why not better sales?

The audience it's aimed at simply isn't the audience that buys anime, if you are into K-On or Seikon No Quaser than you're probably not going to want to buy it.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
toyNN wrote:

The audience it's aimed at simply isn't the audience that buys anime, if you are into K-On or Seikon No Quaser than you're probably not going to want to buy it.

Nope, didn't care for Redline much myself.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Man, I wish I had written in to Answer Fans this week. We're lacking the maths there. ENGINEERS REPRESENT!! It was a nice Answer Fans though, being able to see what's going on in others' lives.

I guess I'm an outlier here - I pretty much keep my hobbies and work life separate. Not that anyone at work doesn't know I'm a nerd and I'm interested in Japanese culture (we're a nice, big family), but my professional life isn't influenced by my nerdy life.

I've known for a while that I wanted a job that would allow me to help others, and so I wanted to be involved in the medical field somehow. Math was always my strength, and so I went into biomedical engineering. I work as a Development Engineer for a tissue engineering medical device company, and I love what I do and how my job impacts others. It never fails to warm my heart when we get feedback from those who have been implanted with our products about how we've improved their quality of life. There is no greater reward than that.

And it's tissue engineering! I love tissue engineering! I work with pig guts, SIS specifically if anyone wants to look it up. It's a fascinating biomaterial with so many benefits. It works with your body to completely remodel the tissue and has been used in multiple areas: burn wounds, ulcers, fistulas, hernias, plastic surgery, pelvic floor, etc.

Anyways, I'm currently going for a graduate degree, just started my first class. It's all online so that I can continue working full time. It will take me about 5 years to get the degree, but it'll be worth it in the end.

Last edited by Crisha on Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I wanted to send an Answerfans mail, but forgot about it.

I'm just an Ethnomusicology major, working on my thesis. Otherwise, all I do is watch soccer, draw a bit and write (mostly my thesis). Also learning how to drive.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Studying Geology, thinking about history.
toyNN

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
toyNN wrote:

That seems a bit confusing since I'd think the Redline committee thought they were making something for an audience that would be buying it after the theatrical run. But I seem to be seeing that it was a bit of a box-office failure too. So they made what some feel is a really good movie - just not many in Japan.

I guess one-off anime movies can have a difficult time if they don't hit it just right like a Summer Wars.
Imperial_Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:04 am Reply with quote
About jobs in the anime "industry" and how well they pay:

Yeah, like Brian said, contract work doesn't pay a lot. And unfortunately in this economy contract work is what a lot of people are going to be stuck with. But not all contract work is bad - you don't get the security or the benefits, but it shouldn't be something that should scare you away from it if you have an opportunity.

I don't know how well this will bowl over with the mods, but maybe you want to sneak into AV Club and ask them what it's like, since like Brian and the others here at ANN, that's largely contract work too - and likewise, the people there are also very passionate about what they do.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:12 am Reply with quote
I never got around to sending in a response for this week's Answerfans, either. I was simply too busy!

I'm a freelance writer, and the focus of my writing is on anime, manga, and music; however, I have also written and published some poetry on the Internet as well.

I also do some editing work for one the major Internet publishing sites; the type of editing I do is to edit potential titles for the writers at the site to write on. I have to make sure spelling is correct, grammar is correct, and syntax is correct. In addition to that, I also help out my department's supervisor by auditing 15 of my co-workers every week. My husband, who has been writing and self publishing some books, has me look over his manuscripts to help catch any spelling, grammar, or logistical errors he may have overlooked.

I'm also a mom of three kids (ages 13, 10, and 6). I'm a member of the PTA at my younger children's school, and have been the webmaster of the PTA's website for several years. I also have some affiliation with the Cub Scouts; I've been helping out my husband, who is the den leader for our son's Cub Scout den, and I'm also the Badgemaster for our Cub Scout pack.

And in my "spare time" (ha ha), I'm cooking meals, cleaning the house, and doing the other housekeeping tasks that need to get done. And in the midst of all that, I still manage to find time to watch some anime and read some manga so I can write about them. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This is be one of the few anime out there that doesn't give off that strong, possibly-alienating/stereotypical anime "vibe"; it's a show that I feel I could be perfectly comfortable watching the whole way through together with someone not into anime whatsoever, like my father. Having a dubbed version readily available to watch on a big screen (without having to resort to a hulu plus subscription) could make such viewing experiences all the more possible.

Well, there was supposed to be a Hollywood adaptation of Monster, but it looks like it's been canceled. Josh Olson was commissioned to write the script for it, and after he finished it, the project was terminated. The IMDb entry used to be here, but it now leads to a "page not found" error.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:34 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
ENGINEERS REPRESENT!!

Sir, yes, sir!!

BSEE here, I'm the guy who figures out how best to put down 600 parallel wires in a space the width of a human hair: physical-level microchip design & verification. Been at it for 14 years, which probably makes me twice the age of the average anime fan. Anime dazed

Outside of anime, I'm a bit of a music nut & stereophile, I enjoy cooking, I play golf (very recreationally) and bowl (in a league), and waste far too much time on computer games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2