• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Saw Film Director Wants to Remake Ninja Scroll Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:35 am Reply with quote
Didn't expect this to happen. I wonder what happened to 2nd Ninja Scroll movie that Kawajiri was supposed to make.
Imalmostgone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
What the hell makes the American filmmakers think they can make good live-action versions of Japanese works when they almost always botch up homemade works? Hollywood has gone to crap now, it's always movie remakes of film adaptation of something existing and very few originality (Nolan's Inception).

I totally grasp what you're saying but there are some worthy exceptions where Hollywood didn't screw up a domestic source material project, Hellboy for example. Now I know that isn't an American filmmaker per se, but I'd consider it part of the larger encompassing Hollywood machine. Also I've never seen any of the SAW movies but I'd take a flyer on a Ninja Scroll live action as long as it would be appropriately gory of course.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Imalmostgone wrote:
TopGunman wrote:
What the hell makes the American filmmakers think they can make good live-action versions of Japanese works when they almost always botch up homemade works? Hollywood has gone to crap now, it's always movie remakes of film adaptation of something existing and very few originality (Nolan's Inception).

I totally grasp what you're saying but there are some worthy exceptions where Hollywood didn't screw up a domestic source material project, Hellboy for example. Now I know that isn't an American filmmaker per se, but I'd consider it part of the larger encompassing Hollywood machine. Also I've never seen any of the SAW movies but I'd take a flyer on a Ninja Scroll live action as long as it would be appropriately gory of course.

If you look again I said 'ALMOST' which means there are few exceptions, the only ones at the top of my head from recent times being Nolan's Batman and Blade 1 and 2.

Besides, I'm not even a fan of most American comics but because reaction is usually mixed or negative both in and outside the fanbases, it's clear that they're doing something and you don't have to be a fanboy to know that.

If one thinks the hate of Ninja Scroll being made into a live-action movie is attributed solely to extreme fanboyism, then sorry to say you don't appreciate movies, anime or anything as an art form as much as it's just a means of entertaining to kill time, it means you accept ANYTHING that they dish out when you're not saying to yourself 'I should be demanding better and more fresh' - To attribute lack of enthusiasm to extreme fanboyism as your main argument shows you have very little (if any, and that was being polite) any reason to look forward to this movie.

The fact is, I'm not the biggest Ninja Scroll fan, so it's not about being a fanboy with me,
but my beef is simply that they're making ANOTHER adaptation of something old AGAIN. And it's sad that some people are like 'Wow' when it's quite lame to see what's been done AGAIN as if simply being live-action itself makes all the difference. It wouldn't be so bad if the 'remake' or 'reboot' or 'adapting' old stuff that have passed their time thing was so much less frequent.

You might say 'just don't go' - And I plan to not go and watch it, but it needs to be said that all these remakes and reboots and anything of the sort limit the options of what to watch. But I guess for some people movies are just a place to hang out with friends and movies are supposed to be nothing more than time killers. How sad that this is the mentality today. Do what you wanna do. But this boat is not worth being on.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:48 pm Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
If one thinks the hate of Ninja Scroll being made into a live-action movie is attributed solely to extreme fanboyism, then sorry to say you don't appreciate movies, anime or anything as an art form as much as it's just a means of entertaining to kill time, it means you accept ANYTHING that they dish out when you're not saying to yourself 'I should be demanding better and more fresh'

No, once again, the fact that you bitch and moan about how little of Hollywood is fresh and original while ignoring just how absurdly cliched and repetitive most anime is shows that you are indeed just a pompous anime fanboy. You get on your little high horse and act like you're better than everyone who watches Hollywood movies and then you turn around and gobble up material that's just as trite so long as it comes from your own little alternative hobby. It's nothing but a transparent attempt to play at being superior.

Quote:
The fact is, I'm not the biggest Ninja Scroll fan, so it's not about being a fanboy with me, but my beef is simply that they're making ANOTHER adaptation of something old AGAIN. And it's sad that some people are like 'Wow' when it's quite lame to see what's been done AGAIN as if simply being live-action itself makes all the difference.

See, this is what I mean. Apparently Hollywood is terrible for taking pre-existing stuff and adapting it into their own medium. But of course, you have no problem at all with the anime industry which is built around taking the latest manga or light novel and adapting it into their own medium.
Imalmostgone

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:43 am Reply with quote
Originally, I just wanted to point out that a lot of the comments regarding live-action adaptations are heavy handed and are in need of some perspective, because projects like this aren't tailored towards the hardcore fans, and I certainly didn't mean to offend delicate sensibilities, but I guess the entitlement train is in fact a round trip express with no stops.

As the general consensus seems to be that Ninja Scroll is no magnum opus anyways, why couldn't it just be for fun or entertainment? Personally, I think it could have some potential as opposed to something like Akira which is much more the sacred cow, because lets face it, Hollywood isn't going to stop remaking things with the current trend as any indication.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2