• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Seed HD Remaster Project to Launch

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iCards

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
Meanwhile classics 0080, Zeta Gundam, and 0079 can apparently go fudge themselves.

Zeta, ZZ, and I think, 0079 already have updated blu-ray releases in Japan. 0080 I am not sure about.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Seiya0890 wrote:
Charred Knight : It has been some years since I watched the movies and the TV series, but I think Athrun ends up with the same person in both Confused
And the sales of Gundam 00 was not that bad , especially the movie though i did not like it -_- .

Athrun is last seen with Meyrin in the tv series, but in the movies they add in a scene showing him in an Orb uniform showing that he went back to Orb to be with Cagalli.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:01 am Reply with quote
Gundam Seed is getting an HD remastering? The only thing that would make this even better is for Fukuda to fix the rehashed battle scenes and fix that godawful footstep sound effect and we are good to go! Very Happy

Anyways, Gundam Wing didn't really do anything for me but it was Gundam Seed that has made me a Gundam fan in the first place and so Seed holds a special place in my heart for just that.

Why can't Fukuda just let Morosawa go and find a different writer for the upcoming movie? The movie is still in long development hell because of her and there are plenty of better writers out there that could replace her.
Rick Dom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:45 am Reply with quote
I want to see how they do the remastering of Seed just so I can compare it to the Zeta/ZZ remasters (which are gorgeous).

Lycosyncer wrote:
Why can't Fukuda just let Morosawa go and find a different writer for the upcoming movie? The movie is still in long development hell because of her and there are plenty of better writers out there that could replace her.

If anything else with SEED is going to be done then Sunrise will replace Fukuda and Morosawa. But I doubt Sunrise/Bandai would even finance a new work in Seed, especially after Unicorn's success, and particularly with Gundam the Origin in the pipeline. If they do Origin right, full remake marketed correctly in the west then Bandai/Sunrise management are going to wonder what to do with their new markets and all the money lying around. Of course if they screw it up like Japanese companies typically do, they'll try to play it safe and do an OVA of the history of Char and One Year War before the original Gundam series. Either way, right now the climate is not friendly to a non-UC Gundam that isn't new and targeting a different audience (AGE). The Gundam fans will gravitate to the UC projects.

Clarification: when I say Gundam fans, I mean UC fans. This isn't meant to slight anyone who's only seen Wing/Seed/00/another non-UC Gundam, but it stems from the fact that UC Gundam is where Bandai makes their money, and Wing fans are Wing fans, Seed fans are Seed fans, et cetera, and they rarely transition over. I'm coming at it from a financial standpoint, because Bandai is going to do things that are profitable, and the fact of the matter is that right now they aren't making nearly as much money off 9 year old Seed as they are 32 year old original Gundam or its direct successors: Zeta, ZZ, CCA, 0083 (GP 01Fb is surprisingly popular). 00 is probably going to follow the same pattern as the rest of the AUs.

tl;dr - UC fans want more UC, they show the money, Seed fans want more Seed, they don't show the money, Bandai follows the money. Want more Gundam, watch the UC series, because that's pretty much all you're going to get aside from AGE going after the youngsters.

Also: SIEG ZEON!
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Oh dear god I am getting flashback to Gundam.com. I haven't seen a person end a post by saying Sieg Zeon in 9 years.

1. Gundam UC has never been popular in America, the two most popular Gundam series in America are Gundam Wing, and G Gundam. The idea that Gundam UC is all of a sudden this huge cash cow is simply ludicrous. Most sales for Bandai come from people who watched Toonami growing up.

2. UC Gundam does poorly in America simply because the UC fandom make up a tiny part of Gundam fandom, simply put a guy who enters the anime fandom through Naruto simply isn't going to care about a show that aired 25 years ago in Japan.

3. You do know where Sieg Zeon comes from right?
Rick Dom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Oh dear god I am getting flashback to Gundam.com. I haven't seen a person end a post by saying Sieg Zeon in 9 years.

1. Gundam UC has never been popular in America, the two most popular Gundam series in America are Gundam Wing, and G Gundam. The idea that Gundam UC is all of a sudden this huge cash cow is simply ludicrous. Most sales for Bandai come from people who watched Toonami growing up.

2. UC Gundam does poorly in America simply because the UC fandom make up a tiny part of Gundam fandom, simply put a guy who enters the anime fandom through Naruto simply isn't going to care about a show that aired 25 years ago in Japan.

1 & 2) I'm not talking about popularity, I'm talking about profitability for Bandai, which is what really counts. And Seed/Wing, aside from model kits for the Wing Zero Custom, Strike Freedom and maybe the Strike, aren't bringing in much money for Bandai right now. Maybe the HD remaster is a test to see whether the series can still be viable. For the Wing fans they have that (completely insane) new manga in monthly Gundam Ace magazine. The UC fans buy more merchandise, which is where Bandai really makes their money on Gundam (and is why they bought Sunrise in the early 90s in the first place).

3) Of course I know the root for Sieg Zeon, and I know the difference between it and Seig Heil.

BIG EDIT:

Evidently Fukuda posted to his twitter some info about the HD remaster. Translated details as follows:

"We have enough budget this time"
Scenes are being drawn or redone entirely
No recap episodes.
A total of 48 episodes.
New music, ED is a remix.

Damn, Bandai is really going for it with this one.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
Rick Dom wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

1 & 2) I'm not talking about popularity, I'm talking about profitability for Bandai, which is what really counts. Are there more Seed fans than UC fans, yes. Do the Seed fans bring in more money to Bandai than the UC fans, no, because if they did, you would see more Seed stuff. Seed fans moved on to the next big anime, be it Fullmetal Alchemist, Death Note, or Code Geass. UC fans, even in the United States, bought enough $50-60 blurays and model kits that Bandai is trying to release Turn A Gundam in the US, a 12 year old series that appeals to older fans. Even in Japan, the Seed fandom isn't enough for Bandai to go "gee, we should make more Seed stuff."

Simple solution: you want more Seed? BUY SOME MODEL KITS. Because that's where Bandai gauges whether an older series should receive more financing. They're a Japanese company, and the Japanese business model is that its easier to get 20,000 people who bought 5 things from you to buy item 6 than to get 100,000 people who bought 1 thing from you to but item 2. That model explains all the niche anime shown early in the morning for past half dozen years at least.

3) Of course I know the root for Sieg Zeon, and I know the difference between it and Seig Heil.

Except for the fact that they are making more Seed stuff, they are making plenty of new models, and are in fact making a remaster of Gundam Seed, which will remove the clip shows, including new animation, and songs.

As for Turn A Gundam they are not even making a dub for the series since Bandai doesn't think it will sell enough to justify it. It's a niche product compared to the recent series from Japan.

Are they making a new anime? No, but that's due to Morosawa's illness. I also question if you need anime just for the sake of having more anime. Gundam Seed doesn't need a new anime, G Gundam doesn't need a new anime, Gundam Wing would have been better off without a light novel that lazily rehashes the tv series, Universal Century doesn't need an OVA that resolves nothing.

I am sure that Americans are buying the occasional model kit but they are not the main source of Bandai's money, and they certainly buy both U.C and A.U models.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I hope Gundam SEED Destiny also gets a remaster. I think SEED was a great Gundam series.

I also hope Gundam Wing receives the same treatment, being the best of the Gundam series would make it so worth seeing in HD.
redranger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:18 pm Reply with quote
You guys are kidding right? Gundam wing is crap. Worst Gundam I've seen so far. The only reason I watched it was because I heard it was good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3