• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica 5 is 5th BD Volume to Sell 50,000+

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaizoku00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I heard the blu-ray comes with all sorts of extras, like audio commentary from the cast, drama cd and character songs as well as Ume-sensei's 4-koma. I'm really jealous! I hope the US release includes all that crap!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Odds are it will not. Japanese otaku pay an obscene amount of money for their BDs and if they see that those outside of Japan are getting the same special stuff as them (while paying 1/10 what they did), I can't imagine them being too happy.

We might get the audio commentary and the BD extra disc. But definitely not the character songs/drama CDs or anything like that.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Odds are it will not. Japanese otaku pay an obscene amount of money for their BDs and if they see that those outside of Japan are getting the same special stuff as them (while paying 1/10 what they did), I can't imagine them being too happy.

We might get the audio commentary and the BD extra disc. But definitely not the character songs/drama CDs or anything like that.

I wouldn't count on anything as extensive as the Drama CDs (subs can be found on youtube, by the way) or the full-on character booklets with staff interviews in them either, but... would they "definitely" not include the character songs either? Confused The character songs released thus far have actually been included within a couple episodes that didn't get any ending songs to begin with-- namely episode 1, which got Madoka's "See You Tomorrow", and episode 9, which got Sayaka's and Kyouko's duet "And I'm Home." I don't think the inclusion of that much would incite the wrath of Japanese otaku... and even in the event that there is such angst, wouldn't most of them have already grabbed the BDs by then?

Last edited by Animerican14 on Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Oh I'm certain those will be on the DVD/BDs in their respective places, but there won't be an extra CD like Bandai's Haruhi LE releases.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't believe there's even been an OST release with the character songs to go along with the BDs, though... OSTs, certainly, but not ones with character songs.

Anyway, it's pretty awesome as usual to see this series continue its glorious sales. I won't be surprised if the release week of BD 6 turns out to be the biggest one yet!

EDIT: My bad, Megiddo, the character songs were released on CDs as you said-- specifically with the "Special CD" of volumes 1 and 5, together with the Drama CD in those releases. I realized that when looking at the Puella Magi Wiki today... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Last edited by Animerican14 on Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:

Anyway, it's pretty awesome as usual to see this series continue its glorious sales. I won't be surprised if the release week of BD 6 turns out to be the biggest one yet!

It's probably gonna be about the same. It's the same 50k people buying them. It's not like it's gonna ensnare more viewers just because it's the last volume. It's not like Lost or something where the hype and word-of-mouth got more and more people to check it out --a primetime serial drama-- as it was airing, and thus sales increased of the season boxsets. (Yes, a friend got ensnared by it via his wife. Laughing )
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
The last volume will have the director's cut of the last episode. That could bring a slight bump in sales. However, you're most likely correct in that the sales will be pretty level (which is quite amazing as sales tend to taper off at the end, just compare Star Driver's latest volume sales to its first couple of volumes)
loka

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:35 pm Reply with quote
The Bandai Limited Edition sets I have all came with the drama cds, character cds, booklets, etc.

The Aniplex Baccano! Blu-ray Disc Box Limited Edition comes with... nothing. Their Oreimo Limited Edition box set also does not come with the drama cds.

I would not count on Aniplex to provide much of the extras.
darkhappy1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
@loka
Their Oreimo box set still has the postcards, poster, and booklet though. The JP Baccano! Blu-ray only had the sturdier box and the booklet, so there wasn't much Aniplex could give for the US release without devaluing the JP release. I still expect them to provide some extras for Madoka, seeing as they could take away the Drama CDs and OSTs while keeping some art and the commentaries.

(Please keep the commentaries on the discs here, Aniplex... or at least staff interviews... Maybe a booklet? Please?)
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
The Bandai Limited Edition sets I have all came with the drama cds, character cds, booklets, etc.

The Aniplex Baccano! Blu-ray Disc Box Limited Edition comes with... nothing. Their Oreimo Limited Edition box set also does not come with the drama cds.

I would not count on Aniplex to provide much of the extras.

Aniplex provide extra only if you guys are welling to pay the jp price.
There is no Oreimo Blu-ray, so jp otaku wouldn't about it that much.
it's blu-ray or no buy for alot of Otaku now.

I bought couple blu-ray for a jp friend. They would definitely reverse import them if companies are releasing them at the same time with the much lower price in US.
BOMHAT

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:09 am Reply with quote
I'm happy for shaft Smile
I also decided to purchase every of the bds so I'm just altogether happy that I can support them.
and its always better to have the real thing even if you can find it on the internet. Also I plan to buy the american release. so you can't call me stupid for paying 90 dollars a volume while i could get them all for 50. or maybe thats an even stupider idea........
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1