• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Daily Cosplay - Fullmetal Alchemist's King Bradley

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:03 pm Reply with quote
*squints* Is it just me or does something look odd about his face? His face looks a shade or two lighter than the rest of his head and the creases/scars look a bit cartoony, there's just something about it that looks off to me.
b4k4ni04

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I think he clearly has a serious amount of make up on.

The cosplay is spot on, but the makeup makes my head spin too.
mannyperson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
*squints* Is it just me or does something look odd about his face? His face looks a shade or two lighter than the rest of his head and the creases/scars look a bit cartoony, there's just something about it that looks off to me.

I'm pretty sure that it's really well-done make-up. Definitely turns up the cosplay up a notch, especially since he could have done without it (but it would have just been really generic that way).
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:09 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:

It does look as though he's wearing some sort of mask or summat. There's an outline around his right eye that makes me pretty sure of that. In a way, the unreal, but striking look is very true to the series, although not quite the way that cosplay usually tries to be. The hair and mustache look pretty nice. He has certainly gone to considerable effort. Given that the most exotic part of the costume otherwise is probably the white belt, drawing attention to the head makes sense.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:23 pm Reply with quote
All in all, I think that's a fairly well done cosplay. Maybe the mask (looks like a mask to me, either that or really heavy makeup) might be a little distracting, but I think it just shows that he wanted to go the extra mile to make it look the best he could. Too often my biggest complaint with cosplay is that they just don't take all the little steps to make things look as good as they could.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote
The make up(?) definitely doesn't match his skin tone, but A+ for effort. This is the first I have ever seen someone go the extra lengths to look almost exactly like King Bradley. Usually people just dress up in the usual military gear and slap on an eye patch while, sometimes, having a prop sword attached to their hip.

I like this cosplay very much. Good job! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Well done, just the face looks....odd.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote
That's ridiculously awesome.
The American Average

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:00 am Reply with quote
That want I call a plastic surgery!

No nothing? come on!
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
mannyperson wrote:

I'm pretty sure that it's really well-done make-up. Definitely turns up the cosplay up a notch, especially since he could have done without it (but it would have just been really generic that way).

Agreed. I was going to say mask or at least prosthetics/appliances, but when I zoomed in I started to suspect that it actually starts under the hair.

It looks odd because it's a cartoon face. I want him to lip-sync to Lady Gaga's "Born this way"

Very Happy
sokpupet

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:44 am Reply with quote
It's obviously just very good cartoon makeup. He wanted to look like his anime counterpart and the guy did a bang up job. It's the anime version of that old guy on the subway made to look like an oil painting.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:58 am Reply with quote
sokpupet wrote:
It's obviously ......

Yyyyyyeeeeesssssssss, obvious... that's why there was no debate of any kind. yyyyeeeeessssss

trompe l'oeil? Never heard of it. Ironically, when it's good, it does just that.

Hell, you could be right but I can't be sure.

Sheesh.

Rolling Eyes

What old guy? He hangs out in a sandwich shop? That's the only kind of subway we have here. Aloha.

Very Happy
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:14 am Reply with quote
It looks like poorly prosthetic/mask to me. Like other people's comments, his makeup looks odd because the cosplayer never bothered to look at a real aged face. Wrinkles and sagging skins look out of place and over-exaggerated. If he actually studied actual face of an aged person instead of a stylized cartoon character, his face would be more convincing.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:58 am Reply with quote
The face mask looks so much like the character that it's creepy
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:10 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
It looks like poorly prosthetic/mask to me. Like other people's comments, his makeup looks odd because the cosplayer never bothered to look at a real aged face. Wrinkles and sagging skins look out of place and over-exaggerated. If he actually studied actual face of an aged person instead of a stylized cartoon character, his face would be more convincing.

His not trying to look like an actual aged person his trying to look like King Bradley.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2