• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Retailer Lists Twelve Kingdoms BD from Media Blasters

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 11:03 pm Reply with quote
IIRC the novels Tokyopop released were basically two-book omnibus versions and they covered the first 8 volumes as they were originally counted, meaning they were one more book away as they were printing it from releasing all of the Twelve Kingdoms novels proper, not counting the short story collection and Massho no Ko, which was originally an unconnected novel retconned into part of Taiki's story.
partially

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:04 am Reply with quote
I thought it was only one of the books that Tokyopop released that merged two of the Japanese versions together?

And on the news of Blu-Ray I was almost certain this was announced on this site a while ago, though from a search it seems not. It has certainly been on the rightstuf catalog for a fair while. Good news either way it seems to be a nice boost in quality over the old DVDs - at least going by the Japanese release which MB hopefully use. (Image comparison)
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:47 am Reply with quote
Yea, we've known about this way before Rob updated his blog (since mid-April). Also, his assertion about the Kite Liberator SE is wrong since it's not just a rerelease and includes new interviews with the director and cast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
atunderdogk

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:42 am Reply with quote
I bought this entire set on DVD about two years ago and the quality was pretty atrocious. And I'm not usually really big on that stuff. It could have been that old 90's Media Blasters intro (that looked like it was from a near death VHS) that had me feeling uneasy going into it. Between that and the slightly annoying main lead, I couldn't get through the first quarter before I sold it. I hear it's a fantastic show so if the BD's are like the screens I've seen online, I might be getting this.

I'm pretty bummed about Tokyopop dropping the ball on this. Although I heard as the novels progressed, the mistakes and errors were becoming really bad.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:04 am Reply with quote
Seeing someone describe Yoko as "annoying" makes me so sad. She's one of my favorite leads. The only annoying characters I found were the two anime-only classmates that followed Yoko into Kei.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
And on the news of Blu-Ray I was almost certain this was announced on this site a while ago

Yeah, I'm sure I saw it on Righstufs preorders a few months ago.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Ok, 14 episodes of 45? So we will have to buy 3 boxsets at nearly $50 each.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:43 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
I thought it was only one of the books that Tokyopop released that merged two of the Japanese versions together?

And on the news of Blu-Ray I was almost certain this was announced on this site a while ago, though from a search it seems not. It has certainly been on the rightstuf catalog for a fair while. Good news either way it seems to be a nice boost in quality over the old DVDs - at least going by the Japanese release which MB hopefully use. (Image comparison)

Thanks for the comparison shots, I might end up picking this up now (presuming the US release is as good).
Dakaran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:08 am Reply with quote
50$ each set who cares i already bought them on pre-order =p!!! Best anime of its genre and awesome storytelling! Wink It's also one of my top 5 among hundreds of series.
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:22 am Reply with quote
Dakaran wrote:
Best anime of its genre and awesome storytelling! Wink

By now, I think Guardian of the Spirit and Beast Player Erin are serious competitors. But these 3 together certainly are the best anime fantasy has to offer.

partially wrote:

US books 1, 2 and 4 all include 2 of the original books. 3 is the only one that had only 1 volume in Japan as well.

atunderdogk wrote:
Between that and the slightly annoying main lead, I couldn't get through the first quarter before I sold it. I hear it's a fantastic show so if the BD's are like the screens I've seen online, I might be getting this.

Yoko is really annoying at the beginning, but she changes a lot. Her character development is one of the best parts of the series ... and something you rarely see in anime.

Quote:
I'm pretty bummed about Tokyopop dropping the ball on this. Although I heard as the novels progressed, the mistakes and errors were becoming really bad.

I think they corrected most of them for the soft cover release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1