• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Highschool of the Dead Released Monday on DVD/Blu-Ray

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The series is about four girls who try to rescue their high school's light music club, even though they cannot play instruments or read music.

That only actually describes one of the characters - I don't know if they can all read music (not a prerequisite for a drummer) but the original 3 members can all play.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Truered

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:24 am Reply with quote
Ordered High school of the dead on blu ray yesterday...will be my first anime blu ray Very Happy (I've been told I won't regret it Razz )
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:34 am Reply with quote
Ok so i got the HSOTD BD today and you can't tell me Manga entUK can't produce something like that every time someone orders a copy.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Eh?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:44 am Reply with quote
Just going back to what i was saying about Manga entUK to switch to print to order rather than putting a batch out and hoping for the best.
consignia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:57 pm Reply with quote
They still have to press the discs in batches. Or are you suggesting they stick everything on a BD-R, and print a label to glue onto the disc? That screams quality, doesn't it?
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Not as if that would look any cheaper than what they put out now.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, yes, it would, and while you can churn them out in lower volumes the unit price is higher.

Justin Sevakis has been involved in burn-on-demand and while he sang it's praises at the time, he has since gone on record as saying it doesn't work - even if you are only expecting to sell a few hundred copies it is cheaper to print a thousand and chuck the rest in a skip. It might be slightly different for BDs however.
Nilrem

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Well, yes, it would, and while you can churn them out in lower volumes the unit price is higher.

Justin Sevakis has been involved in burn-on-demand and while he sang it's praises at the time, he has since gone on record as saying it doesn't work - even if you are only expecting to sell a few hundred copies it is cheaper to print a thousand and chuck the rest in a skip. It might be slightly different for BDs however.

That doesn't surprise me too much given the cost of the equipment/time and level of human involvement etc in doing it POD rather than outsourcing to a company that can run off a few hundred/thousand copies in a very short time with minimal human intervention, then switch to another batch (keeping the equipment in use 24/7).
I suspect the same is still true for BD's given the cost of BDR's, and the burn speeds especially for reliable burning.
Even just putting the discs in cases with the sleeves is going to take a significant amount of time/effort with POD compared to the replication plant.

Back on the topic of HSotD, the picture quality and sound is really good from what I can see on this release, and once you get past the boobies and panties etc it's pretty enjoyable as a zombie anime:)

I just hope Manga can at least keep the quality up on other BD's they release.
That still doesn't mean I'm going to risk buying any multi volume releases from them in the near future, not after FMA:B and nearly being caught by Xam'd.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:39 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Quote:
The series is about four girls who try to rescue their high school's light music club, even though they cannot play instruments or read music.

That only actually describes one of the characters - I don't know if they can all read music (not a prerequisite for a drummer) but the original 3 members can all play.
Whatever. It's all about Jiggling boobs , flashing pantsu, and zombies. I mean if you think about it why would they want to save a room that is for after school extra curricular activity when mostly everyone is too busy being dead and eating the surviving living?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1