• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 9th Dantalian no Shoka Novel with Unaired Anime Cancelled

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For the publisher to want to continue the series, I don't think the books necessarily had bad sells.

The desire to extend probably had more to do with projected audience expansion prior to the airing of the anime.

Obviously, the anime didn't reel in the new fans they hoped for (novel sales didn't increase; the anime DVDs are doing extremely poorly in pre-orders), but I can see why the publisher was reluctant to end the series just as a big marketing tool was about to be launched.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
Got to admire the integrity of the author for not taking the money to churn out more, but going "No, look, it's FINISHED" and turning the publisher down.

Far too many series out there get stretched out too thin to make more money.

QFT. Anyone who thinks otherwise has no respect for a solid concise story. None of that garbage stretching of what was once a good story due executive medling.
scineram

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Stuff without much sexual fanservice ain't really doing that well these days huh.

Aw, don't even get me started. Puella Magi, Tiger & Bunny, AnoHana, Steins Gate, OreImo. Just sex, sex, sex, sex, sex, sex.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Wow. The sales must really be in the ditch.

While preorders are low, the first volumes are not even out until the end of the month.

As far as I'm concerned, preorder numbers only tell us even further that this summer was a load of crap for the most part, if not all of it (not counting titles that began prior to this season).

Having read a good portion of the light novels myself, there wasn't much substance to begin with let alone to develop. I'm not entirely surprised if it was suppose to end at volume 8 since the story was dragging its feet by volume 4 or 5 despite a decent first 2 volumes. The anime adaptation has only proven this further.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:31 am Reply with quote
toyNN wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
Wow. The sales must really be in the ditch.

Ehh? The editors want more so how can sales be poor? Its the mangaka doesn't want to extend the story further.

As for the anime adaption I really like it but its not the otaku type of show that will have strong DVD/BD sales. Definitely Gainax who will always take a risk and produce odd shows that no one else will. Still my favorite studio.

Typed that before the update.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Stuff without much sexual fanservice ain't really doing that well these days huh.

Quite a shame because the anime is rather charming.

You know it really is a shame. Although some series will almost always do well, it does seem like if a show doesn't have fanservice, it won't do as well as a show that does contain fanservice.

In a sense, that really is somewhat sad, but I suppose it's also a product of the times.

There are some exceptional series out there that do not contain any fanservice and maybe there are some good shows that do contain fanservice.

But even if both have pretty good plot's and what not, I've noticed fanserivce shows tend to be more popular and also tend to sell more in addition.

But as I said previously, it's a product of the times. It used to be more common for science fiction (i.e. robot/mecha) shows to do better and for a while, it seemed like all round action series were the most popular shows at the time.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:28 pm Reply with quote
maybe it has less to do with the lack of fanservice and more to do with its description reminding people of Gosick. Perhaps people just wrote it off as a because of that. Didn't preorder it because they never bothered to watch it. ---just a guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2