• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mystic Archives of Dantalian Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
when an episode goes bad, it really goes bad

Agreed, episode 5 was just bizarre... I'm still uncertain what to make of it. For some reason it felt like a parody to me, even now I'm unable to shake the feeling that it was.
That episode aside, I've enjoyed the series thus far. The hints of Gainax peeking through are one of the high points for sure as is that eerie atmosphere which permeates from the series' core.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:32 am Reply with quote
Well wasn't some un-aired material of a novel related to this anime canceled recently?Dantalian seems interesting enough..its has some beautifully fluid animation that really pops out at you..hopefully Funimation or someone will pick this anime up and give it a proper english dub with a nice Blu-ray release.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:08 am Reply with quote
That extra layer of depth for Gainax usually comes from their original works, so I'm not going to hold that against them. This is a light novel adaptation.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:51 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I totally agree with this review. I'm really digging the main characters - as well as the overall style and tone of the series - but it would be nice for some central plot to emerge soon and really get this show off and running.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:11 am Reply with quote
Hmm, a friend of mine recommended this series to me because she knew I like settings like this. It's too bad the plot isn't as strong as I would like, but I'll probably still check it out--just with lowered expectations.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:47 am Reply with quote
This show is so underrated its sad. You people have honestly become way to content with them rushing everything and ending it in 13 episodes these days that you dont give anything a chance. Her you reviewed the first 6 episodes for God's sake on a series I could see lasting a while. They have hinted somewhat with the opening and one of the later episodes that one of the other pair of key and keeper will be involved in the overall plot, but right now they are still kind of introducing characters, hell they just introduced the keeper in the straight jacket. And honestly I get tired of hearing that the cases are not unexpected enough, this show is as much about the fantasy as it is about the mystery.

Gainax, ha, evangelion last time I checked this show is such a convulted mess, that why they are on there 3rd or 4th "remake" with these 2.2 movies. The Tv show was nice for a while, but then just turns to mush, and the movies are equally as bad. His and her circumstance, mahoromatic, ugly yet beautiful none of these are any real great masterpiece either, and mahoramatic is yet another series of theres that turns to mush and utter nonsense in the end.

And for the record detective conan is mystery, thats lasted 600 plus episodes, with decent but not stellar animation, repetitive mysteries, and close to no plot. The fifty episodes or so they showed on CN, had no further plot past Kudo turning into a kid and the mention the black organization.

Too bad this isnt some quality work like yuriyuri, with a bunch of gradeschool lesbians pretending to be high schoolers, otherwise you'd have the army in full force to defend its merits like when it was ripped as flush worthy.
The American Average

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Gainax huh? the ending gonna be weird I can feel it Anime hyper
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree that the atmosphere is the strongest part of this show. I also enjoy the characters relationships and their Constant bantering.

I have a feeling the plots going to start picking up soon. I can't wait to see where it goes.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
ehh... I may watch this, but then again I also have to watch This Beautiful Yet Ugly World and freaking Gurren Lagann (I know, why I haven't watched it yet is beyond me).
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:57 am Reply with quote
Its nearly a year later and Mystic Archives of Dantalian has more a less disappeared into the depths of obscurity!I'm kinda of baffled that Sentai Filmworks never picked this release up considering this looks right up their alley I can understand Funimation not picking it up considering they go for the bigger titles looks like the chances of this being released is slim to none a shame it would of been cool to watch this series with an english dub.
rivnam

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
i recently caught the show on anime on demand after completing tiger and bunny and i'm glad i did. It was a bit peculiar with the whole "i am the world" and using a key to unlock the library, and then just using his hand (either i missed something or I didn't)....but on the whole the story and characters are amusing, horrific and endearing so...i want more, the only thing really missing was an over-arching storyline but with other biblio princesses introduced there is some groundwork laid down and there there must be more stories to tell. time to look for the manga i guess
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1