• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2011-09-07

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
But that poor Sailor Moon cosplayer Anime cry)

She was clearly inviting them.

Exactly! Anime skirts are made for panchira! Laughing
(What the world needs more of.........)
The joke's on the photographers, as that SM cosplayer was probably a guy anyway.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
The joke's on the photographers, as that SM cosplayer was probably a guy anyway.

No! I'm stating for the record right now the bulge at Yoshika's crotch is formed from the extra clips she's storing while carrying the high powered weapon she's often seen carrying.

Don't you dare take this away from me.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I've got to say,not bad. But have I got an idea for you and I hope you like. For me,I like both American and Japanese animation. And since over the years,a number of Japanese companies have worked on American animation,I've got an idea. What would it be like if Walt Disney and Studio Ghibli worked on a film together? How would you see it? How would Nina feel about it? What would it be like? I hope you consider this idea worthy.
irishninja

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Haha, excellent ending! Anime smile
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I've never been to a Con. I always consider it, but the though of the odd people scare me. I am certain there are far more normal cool people there, but still. Maybe if I could convince another anime friend to go too...
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:25 pm Reply with quote
During my 3 years at Youmacon, i have met some very nice people as well. I hope to see them again.
Awesome strip, BTW Very Happy
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Those guys who write stuff on shirts and cardboard boxes can always count on first-timers to receive attention from. At the very least, we haven't seen an anime character walking around in plain clothes with "My Cosplay" written on it in permanent marker. That would get REAL annoying.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I've never actually been to a convention! I'M MISSING ALL THE SMELL!
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:08 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
FMA poster fanart? I guess this is supposed to be a smaller con as I'm pretty sure that the bigger cons are cracking down on fanart of licensed properties for sale. Crying or Very sad A sad, sad thing.

Huh, really? I was at Otakon a few years ago and got some FMA, Ouran and Chrono Crusade buttons and bookmarks and stuff at the artist alley. And NDK's the biggest con in our general area, and I usually can find stuff from popular properties in the artist alley (although I guess there's plenty of original work and crafts, too). Although I guess NDK might still be considered sort of "small" and maybe things have changed at Ota since I've been?

Staff at Otakon this year, mentioned that there are going to be major changes to the Artist's Alley for next year. Most likely it is going to be about licensed property.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I recently went to a convention, it was comic con. Although for the most part, nothing too exciting happened, but something I noticed, prompted me to take off my ID lanyard as soon as I went outside the building.

I noticed some anime/maybe comic fans acting for lack of nicer words, very weird and people who weren't going the convention (i.e. people just crossing the street, etc.) began to give said people weird looks and one person said something that depending on your point of view could be considering rather condensing/potentially rude.

I just didn't want people to think I was associated with that group, even though just because some anime fans act interesting, doesn't mean they are like that, it's sometimes best just to avoid the inconvenience all together.

Then again though, considering how well dressed, clean shaven and hygienic I am, I think it's fair to say that it' wouldn't be likely that I would be pegged for a anime/comic fan. But then again, it's hard to say what a anime fan truly looks like, as obviously, the image isn't set in stone.

But I will say this, it does make normal anime fans look bad (sometimes) when other anime fans do less than appropriate behavior in public. Truthfully, it doesn't really bug me, but I am fairly open minded and am willing to accept individuality, rather than conformity. But alas, not everyone is that way, so that is why I am speaking from a non anime person point of view.

That person with remarks I had to share a elevator with (stairs were not in option apparently where I was.) and with me were two convention goers that had their ID out in the open. A touch bit uncomfortable to say the least.

But conventions aren't so bad if you mind your own business and act as you would in a regular venue. Also, if you keep your cool and the like, the vendors are much more willing to help you out and in a rare few cases, they might even be willing to haggle.

Of course, I don't recommend asking for a price break right away without starting a line of communication with the vendor(s) and or without purchasing something prior. I am not really sure if it was done in the convention I went to, but it probably can't hurt to ask, but not right off the bat. This might sound obvious, but based on my experience, it helps immensely if you treat the vendor with some level of understanding and niceness, as I can't imagine any vendor willing to give anyone a price break with they come with a ego or a attitude.

But overall, conventions can be fun, I recently got to meet some voice actors and was even able to get items I normally would not be able to buy elsewhere. The way I heard one convention staff member talk to another staff member is if it's not something you would do or say in front of your grandmother/parents, then it's probably not something you should do at all.

That sounds about right to me, but each situation does variate.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Anime and Comic cons are similar to model railroad shows. Even the admission and parking fees can't isolate the poor vendors from the obsessive-compulsive characters who attend and, hopefully, intend to spend. Your panels capture the flavor of the human condition well. Kudos to you, Robin. I always laugh with your artful commentary about us.

As a for-hire Christmas gnome who frequently helps a good friend sell "stuff" on a Sept-Dec model railroad vendor circuit I always come home from these cons wondering about my sanity for even showing up. Yea, ebay! I prefer this route vying with the customer for their dollar via a clever ad and good service versus tolerating a delusional fool who stumbles past my bourse table trying to pay 1967 prices for current goods.
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:50 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
(except maybe YaoiCon. No creepers. Good hygiene. Attendees old enough to afford and drink cocktails.)

It's 18+, not 21+... Though I know a large amount of the attendees ARE 21+, still!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2