• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: D.I.C.E. Streaming on Toonami.com

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:46 pm Reply with quote
I think I'd take Melody of Oblivion over this any day of the week.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I tried streaming the video and my Firefox browser crashed. Could that be a sign? Rolling Eyes
Calviin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:51 pm Reply with quote
It's like Bandai took SD Gundam, gave it the characters from the most recent season of Power Rangers, made them drive around in the Fuzors version of Zoids, but only after the Fuzors learned to act like the Transformers from Armada.
EW!
slickwataris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I'll watch it later or maybe I'll just wait till its on t.v.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chicogrande

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, pretty standard stuff. It's got plenty of room for a D.I.C.E toy merchandising campaing to go with it.

Last edited by chicogrande on Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Requiem

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:45 pm Reply with quote
chicogrande wrote:
Yeah, pretty standard stuff. It's got plenty of room for a D.I.C.E toy merchandising campaing to go with it.

I kinda figured that was the whole point of the series myself judging by the sheer number of gadgets in the episode Razz
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Calviin wrote:
It's like Bandai took SD Gundam, gave it the characters from the most recent season of Power Rangers, made them drive around in the Fuzors version of Zoids, but only after the Fuzors learned to act like the Transformers from Armada.
EW!

Man, you're making it sound like a Gainax anime. Stop! Wink
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Well I only got about five minutes in before stopping. I may try and catch the entire episode on the 22nd but from what I saw of the show it was really bad Shocked. I just couldn't sit through any more of it tonight. The narration was beyond annoying, while the VA's were so so (whoever was doing the young girl at the conference table was really good, though).

The show seemed aimed at the 7 and under crowd, so I'm not sure what it is doing on Toonami. Still, I'm not sure even the 7 and under crowed are going to like this though they may (of course it may get better as it goes along) Smile.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Calviin wrote:
It's like Bandai took SD Gundam, gave it the characters from the most recent season of Power Rangers, made them drive around in the Fuzors version of Zoids, but only after the Fuzors learned to act like the Transformers from Armada. EW!

I agree, its Zoids: Fuzors from the old Saturday Entertainment System-thing that was on 7pm-2am before TOONAMI Saturdays aired. Well, it beats Duel Masters. They need to make the best show on TOONAMI an hour, and that's Justice League Unlimited, no disrespect to Teen Titans.
JackBassV

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:56 am Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
Well, it beats Duel Masters.

I like the humour in Duel Masters, on the other hand, DICE is just bad.

Just watching the opening made me wish I was doing something more fun, like maybe having my teeth pulled sans anaesthesia.

The voice over was really annoying. Was it written by an ex-presidential script writer? I thought it would never end.

The quality of the animation is non-existent. The cgi is jarring - in duel masters, at least they don't try to mix cgi and conventional animation.

Everything about this series is so very wrong.

Kid's will probably love it Sad

JBV^_^
Kyuuketsuki_Kurai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:11 am Reply with quote
i watched 2 mins of the actual show (after the opening) and watching the horrible CGI/animation mix i thought i was going to be sick... it just reminded me way too much of too many other bad anime (SD Gundam)...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:20 pm Reply with quote
JackBassV wrote:
duel masters, at least they don't try to mix cgi and conventional animation.

That's up for debate. They don't "mix" per se but they are shown at the same time on occasion.

I won't say that this sets Japanese Animation in America back 10 years or so, but this certainly isn't any good.

Good thing Bandai has Scrapped Princess or else it wouldn't have any respect points left. (Gundam SEED didn't help things)
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Good thing Bandai has Scrapped Princess or else it wouldn't have any respect points left. (Gundam SEED didn't help things)

Sorry, I don't quite follow here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
biliano*

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

What the heck are you talking about? Gundam SEED is an awesome series.

As for D.I.C.E, after watching the episode, I think you guys are underestimating the animation. Xebec did the animation, and they are a well-respected studio. Their CGI/animation mix might not be at the same level as Studio Gonzo, but I thought it was pretty good. I will say that the voice acting is very weak, but it will delight the kiddies, and that's Bandai's intention. It is a kid's show, after all.

Will this be the next "big" franchise? Only time will tell...
emory

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:20 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
As for D.I.C.E, after watching the episode, I think you guys are underestimating the animation. Xebec did the animation, and they are a well-respected studio. Their CGI/animation mix might not be at the same level as Studio Gonzo, but I thought it was pretty good. I will say that the voice acting is very weak, but it will delight the kiddies, and that's Bandai's intention. It is a kid's show, after all.

Just because its for kids doesn't mean people like Bandai and Hasbro have to make an average product. There seems to be this mentality in companies that shows will sell themselves because of their toy-ish gadgets and kids will automatically fall in love with them because of it, so they don't have to spend money or effort on it. But that's far from the truth. If the product isn't entertaining or likeable, kids aren't going to buy it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3