• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
graphical view of user ratings

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:56 am Reply with quote
Hello,

Can anybody explain how the graphical view of the user rating is set up ? The length of the bars is not consistent with the number of votes. Even if "subbed" votes have more impact than "dubbed" votes (closer to the original), there still is a difference.
e.g. in the Area 88 TV series, there is 1 vote for masterpiece, 1 for weak, and 1 for bad. However, the length of the rating bar is different for the three of them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:49 am Reply with quote
The length of the colored bars is a summation of the weighted ratings (same thing used to calculate the weighted average). Basically, if a rating comes from a more "trustworthy" user, it carries more weight. I don't want to divulge the exact algorithm that decides how much a user is "trusted", but suffice it to say if you use MyAnime for the purpose it was intended (catalogue/ratings of all the anime you've seen), your trustworthiness rating will be high. Not that it really matters... the law of averages being how it is, the weighted and arithmetic averages end up being pretty much the same thing for most titles anyway.

Also, if a user gives a rating for the dub and the sub, only the highest of the two will be used for the bars but both will be displayed. For example, for Bubblegum Crash someone voted "worst ever" for the dub but since s/he also selected a higher rating for the sub, it results in a zero-size bar for "worst ever" even though there is a vote.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
woelfie
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:05 am Reply with quote
Hah, thanks for the explanation.
So I might become a thrustworthy source one day Wink
Even if the ratings are different, while comparing movies you should only compare the same rating (be it bayesian or arithmetic). It's a good indicator whether a movie is good or bad, after all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1