• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex to Stream Fate/Zero Worldwide in 8 Languages

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fifth B

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:22 pm Reply with quote
This is awesome. I was hoping I'd be able to watch a legitimate release of Fate/Zero. Looks like I'll have to dust off the old happy face in time for October.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I didn't read the article (I read the press release instead), but this is totally a "screw you" to fansubbers. There is no way that fansubs can get their subs out in real-time, which is the only way they can beat NN's.

More like a "screw you" to people who want to support legal streams. NN is the worst streaming site going right now. video quality is awful, no free full screen support (what is this, 1997?), and questionable subs. And then to top it off with only making this available for one week and you've got the next worst thing to not streaming at all. Unless this also ends up on Crunchyroll or Hulu (or FUNi) then I'll continue my boycott of NN and watch fansubs.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see people are so appreciative... oh who am I kidding.
toyNN

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:40 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
batou37 wrote:
It is good that it is being simulcasted, but the vid quality at NN is worse than anime at Hulu (and that is really saying something.) Can the videos full-screen there yet or do you still have to do it the round about way changing browser settings? Or I guess it could be considered a marketing strategy, watch it free in 16 bit super punchout! cutscene resolution and then later buy the blu ray......

Until NicoNico changes something, there is a rather easy way to watch their videos in true fullscreen. Unfortunately, that same method also makes it easy to pirate their streams, so I can't (or won't) mention any details.
Hopefully if they fix that "problem", they will also offer a true full screen viewing mode at the same time.

I'd like to know - about the full-screen - it really detracts when trying to watch on 47" screen with browser frame all the way around. Using Chrome I can make the frame fairly thin but still a pain.

NicoNico had their "beta" for premium subscribers where we could go back and watch previous weeks episodes - like someone commented its opposite of Crunchyroll's model. It only cost $0.25 to be premium - not kidding, 25cents.

The streaming comments mostly a pain (easily turned off) but surprisingly were a good add for "Uta no Prince 1000%" - its soo Shojo drama and funny - I'll miss its end theme - "Are you Ready?" Laughing
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:13 am Reply with quote
How is this a "Screw you" to fansubbers? If anything, it helps them. They get a translation they can just rip and throw onto a HD tv feed, and then thats less work for them. Most people will just wait for those HD feeds, since why would you watch an anime with movie quality animation in 360p?
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:17 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

Appreciative of...?

No full screen option?
One week window to watch?
The lowest streaming quality around?

Sadly they probably passed on better international streaming sites just so they can support Japan's favorite inferior streaming site.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zilan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:23 am Reply with quote
pass for me unless It's on CR. Nico just plain sucks atm. I'll watch the fansub.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:37 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
why would you watch an anime with movie quality animation in 360p?
I would. Mainly because I just care about watching the show, not if it's in the best quality possible. If I can read the subs, watch it fine enough and listen well enough on my laptop, then honestly, I'm a happy girl. I know I'm not the only one that feels that way.

Probably also helps that I don't understand all of this "360p" technology nonsense and I really don't care to either - I just enjoy watching a series I like free and legally. I honestly can't see why others can't do the same, to be honest. If it's a legal stream, even if it's not of "the highest quality", isn't it still better to support that better than going with an illegal fansub that supports nothing? Even if it's only being watched once, then the fansub for the better quality or whatever the junk, it's still some sort of support - better than boycotting or avoiding it altogether.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:44 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Appreciative of...?

No full screen option?

Sadly they probably passed on better international streaming sites just so they can support Japan's favorite inferior streaming site.

Emerje

Agreed. It would be one thing to complain about shitty legal streams if the alternative was no legal streams at all. Why not just put it on crunchyroll though? What's wrong with the established business model? Once again Aniplex is screwing over people by absurdly insisting on doing things differently for no apparent reason.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:45 am Reply with quote
So 360p? Please god no.
Danette-Anime-Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:50 am Reply with quote
Here this whole time I thought it was my internet connection that made the players on the Nico website play poorly and here the whole time it was just the website itself.

Still, I look forward to this anime.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Appreciative of...?

No full screen option?

Free legal streaming anime?

Or has the entitlement obsession gotten people to forget something that wasn't available just a few years ago?

I hate this "fandom" so much sometimes.

I'll watch it in 360p. It's free. I don't expect full HD OMGWTF quality for free. Cause I'm intelligent. And I know that to be able to stream full HD OMGWTF quality would take a lot of resources. When Aniplex releases the Blu-Ray here in the States then I can watch it in full HD OMGWTF quality. Because it won't be free then. How people cannot grasp simple concepts and just reach out with their arms going "GIMME MOAR PLOX" because they're completely ignorant as to the entire financial situation of the anime industry... arrrrrrgh.

Last edited by Megiddo on Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:02 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

More like a "screw you" to people who want to support legal streams. NN is the worst streaming site going right now. video quality is awful, no free full screen support (what is this, 1997?), and questionable subs. And then to top it off with only making this available for one week and you've got the next worst thing to not streaming at all. Unless this also ends up on Crunchyroll or Hulu (or FUNi) then I'll continue my boycott of NN and watch fansubs.

Emerje

NN also does true simulcasts for free while non-subscribers generally wait a week for the latest episodes on Crunchyroll. I prefer CR myself to the point that I'm more than happy to subscribe and have content right away if I want it, but let's not pretend that there aren't tradeoffs here between the two.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:17 am; edited 2 times in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:12 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Emerje wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Appreciative of...?

No full screen option?

Free legal streaming anime?

Or has the entitlement obsession gotten people to forget something that wasn't available just a few years ago?

I hate this "fandom" so much sometimes.

I'll watch it in 360p. It's free. I don't expect full HD OMGWTF quality for free. Cause I'm intelligent. And I know that to be able to stream full HD OMGWTF quality would take a lot of resources. When Aniplex releases the Blu-Ray here in the States then I can watch it in full HD OMGWTF quality. Because it won't be free then. How people cannot grasp simple concepts and just reach out with their arms going "GIMME MOAR PLOX" because they're completely ignorant as to the entire financial situation of the anime industry... arrrrrrgh.

I am all for Free Legal Streaming, but people should also have standards. Accepting this 360p low quality stuff that has a buggy player that won't go full screen tells NicoNico that we are happy with the quality. As it is, its near impossible to watch their shows without watching a ripped file of it so you can watch fullscreen without the threat of it crashing on you. Refusing to watch it will tell them they need to make it better.

If you really care about the future of legal streaming, you won't accept what they are doing now. They may turn into a service similar to Crunchyroll with HD streaming if people stand their ground
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:26 am Reply with quote
I don't understand this no full-screen business. It has a full screen feature. Sure, there's a tiny comment bar and progress meter at the bottom as well as a slight bit of black on each side... but I don't get it?

Do y'all not know how to use Full-Screen mode for your browser? Cause when ya get it right, it looks pretty standard more or less. This is a screenshot, completely uncropped and unedited. It's what ya get if you put Firefox in full-screen mode and hit the "full screen" button on the Niconico player.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5