• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex to Stream Fate/Zero Worldwide in 8 Languages

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:33 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I don't understand this no full-screen business. It has a full screen feature. Sure, there's a tiny comment bar and progress meter at the bottom as well as a slight bit of black on each side... but I don't get it?

Do y'all not know how to use Full-Screen mode for your browser? Cause when ya get it right, it looks pretty standard more or less. This is a screenshot, completely uncropped and unedited. It's what ya get if you put Firefox in full-screen mode and hit the "full screen" button on the Niconico player.

I watch my anime on my TV. I don't want that browser crap on it, I want it to take up my whole TV.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:41 am Reply with quote
It will take up your whole TV. As you can see on my screencap, there is absolutely nothing from the browser showing. Only the player and the video. In case you're talking about the black on the sides, I swear you must have a heart attack every time something in letter boxes pops up on your TV.

I swear if these little brats had more problems to worry about they would be less whiny. Oh, you can't watch anime on your TV for free in just the way you like it? Here, let me play you a little song on this tiny violin.
Annf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:54 am Reply with quote
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:00 am Reply with quote
Pretty sure that's a premium setting? Or at least on my settings screen that option (along with auto-play video and do not stop video during alerts) is greyed out with a P on the right side.

And as far as obtaining Premium, all I get is this little "Coming Soon" page from the link.
Annf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:16 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Pretty sure that's a premium setting? Or at least on my settings screen that option (along with auto-play video and do not stop video during alerts) is greyed out with a P on the right side.

And as far as obtaining Premium, all I get is this little "Coming Soon" page from the link.

Oh hmm.
Yeah I log in to NicoNico.com with my premium nicovideo.jp account.
Didn't know the feature was effectively locked away at the moment if you come at it from just the English side.
They need to hurry up with that.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:40 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
It will take up your whole TV. As you can see on my screencap, there is absolutely nothing from the browser showing. Only the player and the video. In case you're talking about the black on the sides, I swear you must have a heart attack every time something in letter boxes pops up on your TV.

Yeah, I shouldn't have to mess around with my web browser, even if it is just pressing F11, to watch something that kinda looks like full screen, but not really that much. Why should I have to deal with something substandard just because it's free? I'd be more than happy to watch ads in exchange for a proper player.

And don't talk to me about "entitlement", I watch 20+ streams every season between my paid Crunchyroll account, Hulu (FUNi and Viz) and TAN. I'm a strong supporter of streaming anime, I even paid ANN the extra cash to watch OreImo, but I don't think it's too much to ask for streams to follow 2011 standards, not those of the early days of internet video. If NN wasn't giving us a sub-par product I wouldn't be complaining.

Quote:
I swear if these little brats had more problems to worry about they would be less whiny. Oh, you can't watch anime on your TV for free in just the way you like it? Here, let me play you a little song on this tiny violin.

Don't even go there. I've got a mortgage and house to upkeep, a 10 year old car that likes to break down, and a medical job that I can't always guarantee will be there for me thanks to cuts in government funding. It's because I have enough worries that I want my entertainment to be as enjoyable and trouble free as possible. Maybe you're the one without enough worries?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:44 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'll watch it in 360p. It's free. I don't expect full HD OMGWTF quality for free. Cause I'm intelligent.

The fact you have a little shit fit over how horribly stupid and entitled people are does not make you "intelligent". It just makes feel like you're intelligent.

Quote:
And I know that to be able to stream full HD OMGWTF quality would take a lot of resources.

Except...It wouldn't! You're doing this big song and dance about how those STUPID ENTITLED KIDS just don't understand that what they're asking for is impossible and yet, this is clearly false. Crunchyroll already does stream in HD if you pay the subscription. They also offer free 480 streams and use a video player that works just fine. There's no question that fans demand the impossible sometimes. However, in this case, you're clearly off base. You're suggesting that we have impossible demands when the bulk of the anime that is streamed meets those demands just fine. Clearly, it is perfectly doable to offer a better streaming service than this. So please, save your soapbox for a thread where fans actually are being unreasonable. All anyone here is doing is asking that Aniplex meet the existing standards of the business.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:07 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Glad to see people are so appreciative... oh who am I kidding.

I am appreciative of the attempt at streaming, but I'm going to be quite frank to say I am not appreciative of the delivery method.

NicoNico's services are, at best, mediocre. Forget the player and episode availability. I'm strictly speaking of the streaming services it provides, which now has the potential of crashing should millions around the world try to view this episode at the same time.

I don't believe the servers can handle it, which will make for an interesting initial showcase of this simulcast (provided someone doesn't hack NicoNico, grab the episode, and distribute it before the launch date and Aniplex has a cow and cancels it).

I've hit the website about 11 times over the course of 2 years, checking up on it to see if its services have improved. The latest was last month, and I see no change.

I don't know about you, but I can't stand it when video stops playing to "buffer". I'm tolerant of an intermittent "catch up" pause, usually lasting a second or two, but this 5 second or more delay is just not a fair trade off for "free" streaming.

I'm well aware of the fans' insatiable appetite to demand perfection, then whine it's still not enough, but for many voices out there, the reasons to be "unappreciative" are justified.

This simulcast is the result (compromise) between those who feel piracy is an issue and those who want to test the waters of future distribution.

I'm going out on a limb to say it's going to be very successful, despite the "unappreciative" complaints people have. 360p or not, options enabled or not, this simulcast will see a large turnout, and this will most assuredly define "appreciative" to Aniplex.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:09 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
I'll watch it in 360p. It's free. I don't expect full HD OMGWTF quality for free. Cause I'm intelligent.

The fact you have a little shit fit over how horribly stupid and entitled people are does not make you "intelligent". It just makes feel like you're intelligent.

*insert cyclical argument about how what you're doing by calling out what I was doing by calling out what other people were doing was bad*

And yes, in comparison to paid streams, clearly Niconico's stream is substandard. Maybe I just didn't mention the word "free" enough. Free. Free. Free. Free. If you don't want to watch a free stream, then go ahead and wait for the Bluray. Nobody is going to fault you for that. However, when someone shits on something that people are giving to them for free... well, I was raised to kindly accept such a thing.

Every Saturday night/Sunday morning I'm watching One Piece via Funimation's stream at *gasp* 360p. So obviously such a quality level is not abnormal.
opn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:33 am Reply with quote
im glad fate/zero is getting a simulcast its one of my top three most anticipated anime this fall. Very Happy though it seems like they may not be the ones doing guilty crown since they didn't announce it along with fate/zero...weird. anyway heres hoping it does well enough to warrant a dub cause i loved the fate/stay night dub and it shouldnt be that hard to re prise some of the roles.
Draneor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:44 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Glad to see people are so appreciative... oh who am I kidding.

At the end of the day, both Anime Network and Cruncyroll offer a superior streaming service than NicoNico. If you're fine with NicoNico, great. Personally, I'll watch other streams--streams in a quality and player I find acceptable. Talk of being "appreciative" is best left to charities and not consumers.

Megiddo wrote:
However, when someone shits on something that people are giving to them for free... well, I was raised to kindly accept such a thing.

You do realize that they are likely having a free one week window for promotion purposes, don't you? I just can't fathom feeling grateful every time a company offers advertising. Aniplex is, presumably, not doing this out of the kindness of their hearts--they want to promote the franchise and get a return on their investment. There is, of course, nothing wrong with that. But if they decide to promote it stupidly via an unpopular platform--that's their fault.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:16 am Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
I just can't fathom feeling grateful every time a company offers advertising.

o_0

See, this is where we disagree.

I see them as offering a chance to see a new anime. You see it as advertising. I guess that pretty much sums up how I will never comprehend some people's rationale.

I've probably derailed the thread enough. I apologize for that.
Draneor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:46 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I see them as offering a chance to see a new anime. You see it as advertising. I guess that pretty much sums up how I will never comprehend some people's rationale.

Aniplex is trying to sell a product though, right? As we all know, a lot of money is invested in a production and, ideally, the production committee would like a return on it. As streaming is usually done at a loss, I view it as advertising--just like the Japanese TV broadcast (where they buy the timeslot, etc). A percentage of those that watch the stream will buy something (BD/DVD/figure/etc). Hopefully enough will to make it worth it. Often, that strategy works on me.

I'm a collector so I buy what I like, whether at US or Japanese prices. Perhaps that's why I don't really see the difference between "free" and "$10" a month. Both are negligible costs compared to physical media for me. In any case, there's plenty of anime I'll enjoy watching--like every other season. I'll be content with whatever AN and CR gets.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Anime is 100% advertisement. The distributing companies pay for timeslots during late night to air the anime, and they don't make money from commercials or anything... they just hope to make it back from DVD sales. Streaming is no different.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:46 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Anime is 100% advertisement. The distributing companies pay for timeslots during late night to air the anime, and they don't make money from commercials or anything... they just hope to make it back from DVD sales. Streaming is no different.

Everything is advertisement! Even your beloved DVDs and Blu-rays are advertisements................. for the merchandise. (That's where the real money is.) Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5