• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokemon Causes Cancer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:56 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
I think that naming the gene after one of anime's most successful franchises is just a matter of coincidence.

Eh, it's a protein, not a gene.

biliano wrote:
dormcat did explain where the acronym came from, and either the MD does have a sense of humor, or he doesn't know about Pokemon the anime.

I'm pretty sure he assembled the acronym "Pokemon" intentionally, for this is not a novel protein, as it was described by three other independent research teams as early as 1997 and had given it different names: LRF, osteoclast-derived zinc finger (OCZF), and FBI-1 (probably another pun). He could just follow the nomenclature of previous researchers, yet he invented a new one instead.

biliano wrote:
I just hope Nintendo sees it this way, but knowing them, they're probably planning lawsuits even as we speak.

Unlikely. Did anyone read my post on Sonic Hedgehog and SUMO?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kyo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:49 pm Reply with quote
LOL
I read about this on JegaJam the other day.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Perfectsword wrote:
What did you expect? Pokemon did cause a ton of people in japan to have seasures (sp?). I think like 400 or 700 people. (it's in the guiness book of records for 2002 i belive...)

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/seizure.htm

That Snopes article is extemely missleading. It says "False", but they then go on to support it. Either they actually ment to write "True" or they're being picky over symantics and mean that they show induced the seizures rather than caused them. Either way it is indeed true that over 618 children went into epileptic seizures after watching that episode.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Perfectsword wrote:
What did you expect? Pokemon did cause a ton of people in japan to have seasures (sp?). I think like 400 or 700 people. (it's in the guiness book of records for 2002 i belive...)

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/seizure.htm

That Snopes article is extemely missleading. It says "False", but they then go on to support it. Either they actually ment to write "True" or they're being picky over symantics and mean that they show induced the seizures rather than caused them. Either way it is indeed true that over 618 children went into epileptic seizures after watching that episode.

Emerje

If you can provide articles, goverment documentation, and medical reports to support it, then i'll give you credit.

Otherwise, i'm undecided on if the story is true or not.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Emerje wrote:

If you can provide articles, goverment documentation, and medical reports to support it, then i'll give you credit.

Why am I the only person here looking for references?!

The abstract of the Snopes article is here:

In the abstract of South Med J. 2001 Feb;94(2):197-204, "Pokemon contagion: photosensitive epilepsy or mass psychogenic illness?", Drs. Radford and Bartholomew wrote:
We studied a reported illness outbreak occurring on December 16, 1997, involving more than 12,000 Japanese children who had various signs and symptoms of illness after watching an episode of a popular animated cartoon, Pokemon. While photosensitive epilepsy was diagnosed in a minuscule fraction of those affected, this explanation cannot account for the breadth and pattern of the events. The characteristic features of the episode are consistent with the diagnosis of epidemic hysteria, triggered by sudden anxiety after dramatic mass media reports describing a relatively small number of genuine photosensitive-epilepsy seizures. The importance of the mass media in precipitating outbreaks of mass psychogenic illness is discussed.

However, Japanese studies prior and after this report have different opinions:

In the abstract of Acta Neurol Scand. 2001 Feb;103(2):114-9, "Long-wavelength red light emission from TV and photosensitive siezures", Dr. Takahashi et al. wrote:
CONCLUSIONS: High amounts of long-wavelength red light emitted from CRTs might play an important role in induction of photosensitive seizures in "Pokemon" incident.

In the abstract of Pediatr Neurol. 2002 Nov;27(5):350-5, "A comparison survey of seizures and other symptoms of Pokemon phenomenon.", Dr. Furusho et al. wrote:
On 16 December 1997, many Japanese children developed neurologic problems while watching the animated television series Pokemon. This study included children who visited the outpatient departments of 14 pediatric clinics for other reasons within 2 months after this incident. Volunteering children and parents or guardians were asked to complete questionnaires. We obtained 1,373 replies (including 800 males, 558 females, and 15 children without information on sex; mean age, 6.8 +/- 3.5 years). The majority of children included in this study (80%) watched this program, and 67 (6.1%; 40 males, 27 females) were affected by the program. There were 10 patients with seizures (0.9%; four males and six females). Fifty-seven patients developed other symptoms. Compared with nonaffected children, significantly more affected children reported that they concentrated on watching this program, watched it at a short distance from the screen, and did not watch this program in a brightly lit room. Seizures tended to occur in older children (average = 10.8 years) and in children with a high rate of familial histories of seizures. Symptoms other than seizures occurred more frequently, and autonomic and psychologic factors, such as motion sickness, could be considered possible mechanisms. Children who developed symptoms seemed to have problems in viewing conditions.

In the abstract of Pediatr Neurol. 2003 Jan;28(1):28-36, "Analysis of photo-pattern sensitivity in patients with Pokemon-related symptoms", Dr. Funatsuka et al. wrote:
The 18 patients (13 females and five males) underwent electroencephalograms and photo-pattern stimulation testing, including special stimulation test batteries (strobe-pattern test and cathode ray tube-pattern test). Photo-pattern sensitivity was confirmed in 16 patients with and without seizure episodes. The strobe-pattern test including a white flickering light test (with eyes open, closed, and open or closed), and the cathode ray tube-pattern test each induced a photo-paroxysmal response in more than 80% of patients. However, with the eyes closed only, as is common in Japan, the photo-paroxysmal response induction rate with a white flickering light stimulus was significantly lower (43%). In the cathode ray tube-pattern test, higher spatial frequencies produced higher rates of photo-paroxysmal response induction. It was demonstrated that underlying photo-pattern sensitivity is more accurately investigated by our method than by standard intermittent photic stimulation alone.

Judge by yourself. Anyone who's interested in the complete version of the three Japanese articles (in English) can PM me. Unfortunately I don't have the complete Southern Medical Journal article quoted by Snopes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Scientificly speaking I've got nothing. However the Snopes report does nothing to actually prove it false. Simply saying that only a small precentage of those treated were diagnosed doesn't mean that they were all properly diagnosed, they could have easily been misdiagnosed. Something happened when kids watched that episode, I'm pretty sure they didn't just get together on the playground and decide to pretend to have seizures during Pokemon that day. Even if it turned out not to be seizures something took place, otherwise Nintendo and the like wouldn't have been spooked.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:49 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
However the Snopes report does nothing to actually prove it false. Simply saying that only a small precentage of those treated were diagnosed doesn't mean that they were all properly diagnosed, they could have easily been misdiagnosed.

The Snopes article is very badly written. For starters, labelling it as a blunt "FALSE" implies that the statement that childrend had seizures from Pokemon is in fact false. This isn't the case, what's false, is the number of children that had seizures. In otherwords, it's not the fact that that is false, but rather the statistic.

Furthermore, Snopes leaves out some very important details when explaining. The most important neglected fact, IMHO, is this: Of the children brought in, a small percentage did indeed suffer photosensitive epileptic seizures. The other children brought in were a result of media propagation. Some parents brought in children that were perfectly fine after hearing the news, and other children had psychosomatic seizures after they themselves heard the news. (How a child can have a psychosomatic seizure without seeing a real seizure is beyond me, perhaps the news showed an example of a seizure...).

The end fact remains the same though, An episode of Pokemon did indeed induce photosensitive epileptic seizures in a number of children.

-t
xiaopingguo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Aw well I don't think all of these people say it's funny because cancer is. I mean, what I think is funny is the coincidental name. And, ANN isn't really posting this because it has anything ('cept the name) to do with anime but just a little humor. Humor as in a pun kind of humor, not the ha ha kind. The people who run ANN know and support anime. If it were a non-anime site, I'd think some of us would take that offensively as a remark against anime.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote
xiaopingguo (little apple?), I personally think posting this news at ANN has something to do with anime, for it's a good indicator that anime has become more and more influential and acceptable among general publics, thus Dr. Maeda and his colleagues at MSKCC would name their protein of interest with an anime character instead of using existing names such as LRF, OCZF, or FBI-1. Compare to those names, "Pokemon" is much easier to remember and more capable to draw attentions from general public. Besides, it gave me such a precious opportunity to discuss my day job at ANN. Mr. Green
xjadedragon750x

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Admin of ANN should have shown a little more caution when posting about this one. You would think that a site as professional as ANN would have shown more common sense than trying to be funny about a disease that isn't funny.

More to the fact ... blasting a dedicated anime show that continues to be popular among its fans when the disease has NOTHING to do with the anime is also a lack of responsibility on the part of ANN.

I'm very disappointed.

It doesn't EXACTLY poke fun at anything...It might not have anything to do with anime itself, but it isn't as though it has nothing to do with it. It's a matter of perspective, and I think it's interesting because I happen to love science and devour any information.

Now, this isn't so bad. Scientists have named Drosophila (fruit fly) genes so many crazy things. For example, Barbie and Ken for a gene and causes an adult fly (that's imago) to LACK EXTERNAL GENITALS. Fitting, no? They had a whole bunch more that made hella a lotta sense, but I can't remember. Scientists do have to have a little fun themselves, don't they?

Of course they do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3