• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: TV Tokyo Gives Away Pikachu Digital TV Remote

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:42 pm Reply with quote
If you try to watch anything other than TV Tokyo, it administers a slight electrical 'correction' to the individual.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:47 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
If you try to watch anything other than TV Tokyo, it administers a slight electrical 'correction' to the individual.

So that would mean I would be blasting off again Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

So that would mean I would be blasting off again Very Happy

Bravo, haha
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if there's a secret button to activate Thunder Armor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nght5tlkr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
Why is there a 10 button? and 11? and 12? Since when did remotes go by the duodecimal system?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kokoroanime

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:18 am Reply with quote
nght5tlkr wrote:
Why is there a 10 button? and 11? and 12? Since when did remotes go by the duodecimal system?

Because many TVs in Japan only have 12 channels...
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote
It seems weird to me to have a remote that isn't numbered 0-9. I guess there aren't many TV stations in Japan if 12 is considered to be the highest channel number that anyone would ever want to watch. It would be a pain trying to get to channel like 300 when you have to start at 12 and then move up by increments of 1.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Totally gonna enter in this drawing! XDDD

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
It seems weird to me to have a remote that isn't numbered 0-9. I guess there aren't many TV stations in Japan if 12 is considered to be the highest channel number that anyone would ever want to watch. It would be a pain trying to get to channel like 300 when you have to start at 12 and then move up by increments of 1.

It's like local channels. If you have cable or satellite there are more channels and I assume there's a set top box with a separate remote or something.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:46 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Totally gonna enter in this drawing! XDDD

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

It's like local channels. If you have cable or satellite there are more channels and I assume there's a set top box with a separate remote or something.

Probably what it is (Japan didn't quite catch onto cable as we did in the US so people normally watch TV terrestrially or with satellite services). While 2-13 was the normal VHF band in the US, it seems 1-12 is the pattern used in Japan, but they also have UHF channels as well.

Reminded TV Tokyo use to be at the end of the dial during it's analog days though now they're on ch. 23 but is tuned to "7" normally (much in the way "virtual channels" work here).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_channel#Japan
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1