• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: A Letter to Momo Anime Film Gets Manga Adaptation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The American Average

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:19 pm Reply with quote
movies get manga? makes me wonder do people say the movie was better than the manga? cause many people say movies based on books usually are suck, so can it go the other way? Neutral
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:08 am Reply with quote
It's an interesting premise. Haven't seen the movie, though.

I think a huge problem with writing books based on films is that the author doesn't always take liberties and add depth, instead opting to directly adapt with little change. While some changes can definitely be drastic and unnecessary, other times a book seems rather flat without it. A (good) movie characterizes and tells a story within a few hours, usually no more than 2.5 or 3. It also has facial expressions and subtle cues to boot. Books don't have that, and excessive detail of expressions only clogs it.

In short: books can be good adaptations, but there generally needs to be more meat. It doesn't have visuals to help hold the story, and thus needs a more direct look into the character, through minor events, discussions, or what have you. Although...most screen-to-page adaptations I've read or seen are geared more towards younger audiences. You'll have the 25 page picture books that parents can read to their youngsters, and then the larger books aimed at 7-12 year olds.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:04 am Reply with quote
The American Average wrote:
movies get manga?

Haven't ya noticed the Twilight bestseller? Twisted Evil
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:47 am Reply with quote
I don't like the whole "make a manga adaptation after the film!" approach. Going from film to print is a huge drop in immersion, and if The Girl Who Leapt Through Time's manga adaptation is anything to go by, not nearly as good as the original.

I actually caught the world premiere of Momo, and really enjoyed it. So much so, I wrote a 1500 word review on it, haha.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1