• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: No Anime Nominated for Oscars

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 1:45 pm Reply with quote
For a good idea of what would have happened even if Innocence: Ghost in the Shell 2 had been nominated for BAF, just look at what happened at the Annies over the weekend:

The Incredibles swept the feature-related awards for the evening. And this is among the people who know and love animation, not just members of the film industry and critics who mostly think of BAF as a minor sideshow award.

Here's the complete list of winners, none of them anime-related this year. Next year, I think you'll have a little better Japanese representation among the nominees, but I don't think Howl's Moving Castle is a shoe-in because it'll be up against The Corpse Bride and Wallace and Gromit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:40 pm Reply with quote
My god, I get cramps in my sides from laughing at the mere thought of Shaun of the Dead being nominated for an Academy. I'm sorry, but it was only a spoof of zombie films that most likely could only be enjoyed by people who enjoy Zombie films. I was bored through out the whole thing, and unfortunately went to see it with friends who were die hard zombie fans. I felt like something was wrong with me because they were laughing more in 5 minutes than I did for the whole movie.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Heh heh, if the Academy reflected my own subjective tastes, the nominees for Best Picture would be:

• The Aviator
  • The Incredibles
  • The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
  • Shaun of the Dead
  • (This spot to be occupied by Napoleon Dynamite if I get a chance to see Sideways and am not blown away by it)

I'm not trying to impress anyone with my tastes, so what I think are the Best Pictures of 2004 are solely the films I liked best and nothing more. To pretend I have other criteria would be just pretentious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:07 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
My god, I get cramps in my sides from laughing at the mere thought of Shaun of the Dead being nominated for an Academy. I'm sorry, but it was only a spoof of zombie films that most likely could only be enjoyed by people who enjoy Zombie films. I was bored through out the whole thing, and unfortunately went to see it with friends who were die hard zombie fans. I felt like something was wrong with me because they were laughing more in 5 minutes than I did for the whole movie.
Are you kidding me, this was one of the funniest Movies i have seen last year. SOTD was good mainly because it was a spoof of the Zombie genre and a very good one at that, aside from the comedic satirical elements the movie had a few underlying social commentaries; How self asorbed society has become that even the slightest hint of danger doesn't register in their brians (citing the scene where Shaun walks to the local convienant store,buying an ice cream pop and a paper while paying no mind to the approching zombified citizens.) And not to mention how society adapts to just about anything. spoiler[near the end of the movie,the Zombies are now used as a source of entertainment as well as the workforce.] Me and my friends who went to see the movie did not feel ripped off, it was worth the $10.50 unlike the godawful Punisher. Iv'e seen worst foreign films that were nominated or considered for an oscar.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:43 pm Reply with quote
the_soultaker wrote:
Are you kidding me, this was one of the funniest Movies i have seen last year. SOTD was good mainly because it was a spoof of the Zombie genre and a very good one at that, aside from the comedic satirical elements the movie had a few underlying social commentaries; How self asorbed society has become that even the slightest hint of danger doesn't register in their brians (citing the scene where Shaun walks to the local convienant store,buying an ice cream pop and a paper while paying no mind to the approching zombified citizens.) And not to mention how society adapts to just about anything. spoiler[near the end of the movie,the Zombies are now used as a source of entertainment as well as the workforce.] Me and my friends who went to see the movie did not feel ripped off, it was worth the $10.50 unlike the godawful Punisher. Iv'e seen worst foreign films that were nominated or considered for an oscar.

By the looks of your avatar, I'm assuming your a zombie flick fan. Anyway, even with the removale of all the zombie spoof humor, the stuff that remains is nothing that would be considered an entertaining movie for myself. So danger doesn't really always register right away to society? So? Think I need to pay 8 bucks to find this out? Was that the only entertianing value of the movie other than the whole "what to do if zombies attack" senario? Punisher sucked too, but to me Shuan is only on a slightly higher level than Punisher.
the_soultaker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Hey different strokes for different..ah you get my point. I liked SOTD for what it was, same goes for Casshern which is now considered one of the worst Movies of the year (In Japan) does that mean my tatses are questionable? Hell no. I was entertained so i can't complain. and as for the avatar my dear, I'm more of a Resident evil fan than a Zombie flick fan in general. (RE4 effing Owns!) Anyway, speaking of the Oscars, in a matter of hours (about to leave work.) i'm gonna check out one film that may be deserving of Oscar nods. Ray. Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5