• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Shoujo Anthology from Viz

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:01 am Reply with quote
So I take it this is the results of the online poll and survey that Viz had run last fall?

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Until recently, there just hadn't been much for them. Sure, stories of bulked-up superheroes saving outrageously busty women appeal to boys,

There are plenty of female superheroes. It's just that reading comics in general used to be considered a pastime for losers.

Quote:
Even if there were a slew of tween girl comics, what awkward junior high schooler would risk wandering into a comic book store and rubbing elbows with its stereotypical man-child clientele?

Yes. Being an illiterate slut is so much cooler.
R.G.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:43 am Reply with quote
That would be interesting : a Shoujo version of Shonen Jump.
Erufu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:28 am Reply with quote
so, would this be aimed at younger girls (jr high) or older (high school and above)?
kakkoii

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:32 am Reply with quote
well even without reading that artical I think it's a cool thing that Viz is doing that, but I dont think they could get rights to manga like Fullmoon wo Sagashite, cause thats a Ribon manga.... ><;;; an I loved that anime. However if they can get a (insert working title here i.e. Shoujo Jump heheh) going an get FMOS or pita ten, Real bout High (even though I think thats Shounen) but maybe more stuff like Hana yori dango, Boys be, Desire i think is one.... but they are like from different companies then Jump. Who know's I have a subscription of SJ I'd be interested to see a Shoujo version =)
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:37 am Reply with quote
Hmm actually this might explain something someone told me.

Viz might be in the midst of getting the rights to Full Moon wo Sagashite. I guess we'll find out.

I'd say it would definelty make it worth buying something like this if that were in it.
NeoSam

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:41 am Reply with quote
kakkoii wrote:
pita ten, Real bout High (even though I think thats Shounen

Well, both Pita-Ten and Real bout High are shounen.
(cute doesn't mean shoujo, both these manga were serialized in a shounen magazine, so both of them are shounen).

kakkoii wrote:
Boys be

Boys Be is seinen.

As for a shoujo magazine I just hope they understand what shoujo is, I mean I don't want to find that they consider shoujo=romance and so every romance manga they get will be serialized in this magazine.
There are many shounen/romance and seinen/romance manga and I really hope they don't think that these manga are shoujo.
Treeloot

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:34 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Until recently, there just hadn't been much for them. Sure, stories of bulked-up superheroes saving outrageously busty women appeal to boys,

There are plenty of female superheroes. It's just that reading comics in general used to be considered a pastime for losers.

Quote:
Even if there were a slew of tween girl comics, what awkward junior high schooler would risk wandering into a comic book store and rubbing elbows with its stereotypical man-child clientele?

The point is, almost no girls want to go into comic stores.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:47 am Reply with quote
I fear for whatever titles they pick for this, because it'll automatically mean that title will stop being regularly released in volume format, and suffer the fate as all the shonen jump titles in release time. However, if they'll license new stuff fort this, like say... Count Cain by Kaori Yuki, they'll rule my soul and I'll be sucked into buying it monthly. *see that, Viz, Count Cain, by Kaori Yuki. Get this and you'll have one of the best pretty boy titles with a great plot. You'll own more souls, get it get it get it*

Any idea as to what age they'll be targeting with this? If they'll just be going for manga for younger girls, no thanks.
Mayko

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone have a link to the article? I can't find it on the homepage...
The Winking Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Another manga collection! Yay!

I was worried that Viz wasn't making any money on Shonen Jump, but since they're compiling another one, I guess they're making profit after all.

I wonder when the heck Tokyopop will release one?
Requiem

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:37 pm Reply with quote
The Winking Samurai wrote:
I wonder when the heck Tokyopop will release one?

Early on, Tokyopop did have two such publications. At the start was Mixxzine (later renamed Tokyopop, sparked a lot of anger in the fanbase for various reasons) and later Smile! (for Shoujo including a major skip in their serilization of Sailor Moon.) Smile lasted for a few issues before it was canceled and they cancelled Mixxzine/Tokyopop after a couple years (although by the time it was canned it was more general magazine than manga.) Since then Tokyopop has been only dealing with graphic novels and related products.

They were both before the time that manga was as "mainstreamed" as it is currently in some cases.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Boys Be is seinen.

No it isn't. It's straight from Kodansha's Shonen Magazine. Why does everyone think this is seinen? Because of the art style?
And it depends on the comicbook shop. On one hand, I've seen plenty of girls in Comicopia in my area, which has a more appealing atmosphere and tends to focus on things other than superhero comics (alternative/independent comics, the biggest manga selection in the Boston area). Most mainstream comicbook stores are much less friendly (though at least they're well lit).
Quote:

Yes, I'm sure comicbooks are the only form of reading that can appeal to teenaged girls Rolling Eyes
Awesome Possum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Mayko wrote:
Does anyone have a link to the article? I can't find it on the homepage...

I can't find a link either...anywhere at all. =/ I need more information.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:29 pm Reply with quote
This sounds almost exactly like the Animerica Extra magazine that used to run.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3