• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dog Days Anime' 2nd Season Green-Lit

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Max465

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
yea I am surprised, don't get me wrong I like the show, but from that time period I was expecting a second season from infinite stratos, yukimeki merry, zombie desu at minimum before something like this especially stratos.

Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka? is getting a Second Season.

I was rather surprised by this. I love this show, but didn't think it was second season worthy. Glad to see I was proven wrong.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised at the people who didn't see a 2nd season coming. It was a given with how the entire last episode set up that he could return to the Doggy world. That plus great sales made a sequel a no brainer.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
I'm surprised at the people who didn't see a 2nd season coming. It was a given with how the entire last episode set up that he could return to the Doggy world. That plus great sales made a sequel a no brainer.

People are not surprised it got a second season by how it was left, half or more of shows especially 13 episode shows end with cliff hangers or at least a lot of explaining to do. The shock is based on the content of the show, its a show about a kid going to a world where they battle it out like cutesy American gladiator style.

And thank God it had no yuri or yaoi overtones. That kind of stuff needs to be kept in shows that are purely designed with that in mind, and dont need to spill over into other genres. Its never a good idea, I cant tell how many people I know that are turned off by very good shows like kyou kara maoh or 97 ghost because of these kind of overtones.
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:55 pm Reply with quote
One of the worst series of its season gets a 2nd run? For shame...

I could see any of a over dozen other series from Spring 2011 to get a 2nd season, but they had to pick this one? Sad
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote
jmaeshawn wrote:
One of the worst series of its season gets a 2nd run? For shame...

I could see any of a over dozen other series from Spring 2011 to get a 2nd season, but they had to pick this one? Sad

It did sell an unusually high amount of DVDs and Blu-Rays, over ten thousand for the first volume which is really impressive. Made even moreso by the adequate animation, generic character designs and really basic-looking art. What I'm saying is, it didn't look like it cost much to make, and yet it still sold a pretty reasonable amount. In terms of the bottom-line, Dog Days was good enough to warrant the continuation.

I get where you are coming from though. I didn't hate it, but it wouldn't have been my first choice from Spring 2011 to get a second season. Let's face it; if the Japanese Otaku don't like your favourite show then there's nothing you can do about it.

That said, I cannot think of many 1-cour titles from Spring 2011 that artistically deserved to get another season. Ano Hana (even I'm not going to spell the entire name) was great and it sold really well but its story is done, you can't go further with those characters in that situation. World God Only Knows 2 was a much better season than the first, I would love to see a third season of the franchise. It probably won't get made though if the rumours about Manglobe not liking it are true (the poor sales are also a big factor). Moshidora was a sleeper hit, and I guess there is a bit further you can take the story, though it's dubious if there is enough for a second season. The only one left is Fireball Charming, which is in a different boat than your typical show.

So to sum up, I remain a tad . . . exasperated that a show such as Dog Days is getting a second season, but, I do think it isn't something to be angry about. There were plenty of worse series in that season; Dog Days is harmless.

No, what is making me angry is that Kamisama Dolls - which I like - is selling too poorly to get a second season despite the big sequel hook. That really grinds my gears. Of course, that's another season and another story. It isn't something I can blame Dog Days for.
Sorrior

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:58 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
This show was a sleeper hit. I didn't even expect that the first volume would sell 9000 copies (BD+DVD).

I actually suspected it would be a sleeper hit after the first few episodes. I also saw what a great show it could be after the first episode. Then again though i tend to guess right abour alot of things. Still GREAT news Dog Days is most certainly one of my favorite shows this year.
Draneor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:31 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Let's face it; if the Japanese Otaku don't like your favourite show then there's nothing you can do about it.

Put your money in the game. Look, I'm buying Dog Days. They were nice enough to include English subtitles and importing is the only legitimate way to watch it. Personally, I think it's a great show (from what I've seen so far).

Anime is a commercial product. If you aren't buying it[1], you don't get a vote. And if you're not voting, I really don't think you have the right to complain about the outcome. You get whatever those who are voting want.

[1] Imports, R1 DVDs, streams, etc. Just keep in mind the methods that costs less require more people to participate.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:32 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
This show was a sleeper hit. I didn't even expect that the first volume would sell 9000 copies (BD+DVD).

Think the subtitles had anything to do with it?
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:38 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

And thank God it had no yuri or yaoi overtones. That kind of stuff needs to be kept in shows that are purely designed with that in mind, and don't need to spill over into other genres. Its never a good idea, I can't tell how many people I know that are turned off by very good shows like kyou kara maoh or 97 ghost because of these kind of overtones.

Fixed the spelling for you.

CrownKlown wrote:
Thank the Sweet Baby Jesus that there were none of those filthy homosexuals cluttering up my pandering.
kazume

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:17 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, I loved this show, glad to hear it's getting another round Very Happy

Kamisama Dolls... man people need to step up and praise this show, it's is one of the few worthy of a second season from the Summer lineup...

Recent polls were clamoring over original titles and what not are the most requested in an anime today... now I know that KD isn't "original" in that it was adapted from a manga... but come on, everything about this show just screamed "Let's try this for a story and roll with it."

And what I saw was a fresh take on the, pardon the pun, "Monster Trainer" genre that isn't pandering to the kiddies.

This was my kinda show.
AnimePinksquid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad this show is getting a second season! Very Happy But I agree, it's a bit weird seeing it get it so early.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2