• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
If, Then, Or: Highschool of the Dead

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravetailor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
But the violence isn't at all dialed up. That was actually one of my biggest issues with HOTD. It kept doing these stupid camera tricks so it wouldn't show the actual moment of impact, only the result. Takashi would swing his bat, the camera would cut to a close shot of his face, and then it would zoom out again and show the zombie falling down. It was utterly ridiculous. Heck, I would say that once Shiki got going, it was way more violent than what I saw of HOTD.

If you have seen as many 80's slasher films as I have, then you know that HOTD is quite tame by comparison.

Actually, you're right about that, and just as I sent the post off, I did realize that HOTD isn't really all that violent. That said, I do think it does kind of present two elements side by side within an otherwise familiar and popular entertainment genre, and is an unintentional test to viewers to see which they like more of. The overwhelming response to HOTD has always been "Well, I would have liked it if it wasn't for the fanservice, boobs, etc,..."
Konopan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote
I'd say Blood-C would probably be a better [recent] choice than Deadman Wonderland, as it captures all the blood and gore of the average horror movie while being campy, ridiculous, and still taking itself far too seriously at times. Or maybe I think DW's adaptation was just kind of bland.

As much as I like Shiki, I don't know that many people a) watch anime for social commentary, and b) would readily transition from a kids-with-guns-and-also-boobs action/fanservice show to a slow-to-boil thriller. Also, you better be kidding when you say a show laden with bishoujo/bishonen designs, crazy flamboyant dress, and Gackt as a primary villain isn't trying to make its vampires "sexy".
Maybe the improbable hair is distracting you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2