• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oh My Goddess TV, Genshiken, Hinotori, and Phantom Acquired by Media Blasters

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucdawg12

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:02 am Reply with quote
awesome, Genshiken R1 DVDs Very Happy
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:04 am Reply with quote
GENSHIKEN!!!!! BANZAI!!!! GENSHIKEN!!! BANZAI!!!!!

I'm really excited about this. I wasn't expecting anything when I went to the Media Blasters panel, but the announcements they threw out for OMG and Genshiken made me a happy, happy person. Genshiken is seriously one of the best titles I've seen lately, and I'm thrilled it's getting a US release.

GENSHIKEN!!!!! BANZAI!!!!!!!!!!

[personal edit - Man, I can't believe this! I posted to the forum *right* after I posted the article. I can't believe someone beat me to the first post. Wink -b]
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:10 am Reply with quote
Media Blasters has Ah! My Goddess TV, eh? So the dub fans should get a 3rd VA cast and the subs will be blah. Great.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:13 am Reply with quote
I have to say, Media Blasters got themselves a pretty big title like Ah! My Goddess in there disposal (I believe there last big title was like Ruruoni Kenshin). Now there's hope that the original VAs of Coastal Carolina to reclaim there roles which I hope that happens since they did a much better job dubbing it than Animaze.
The Starfall Knight

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:46 am Reply with quote
Whoo! Such a licensing frenzy. All of the shows I love are coming over in hordes!! Belldandy-sama, yoroshiku! Anime smile
loplop

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:55 am Reply with quote
Ah! My Goddess licensed by Media Blasters. That is really too bad. I was would have perfed ADV or Geneon. At least that way there would have been some quality to it.
biliano

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:07 pm Reply with quote
loplop wrote:
Ah! My Goddess licensed by Media Blasters. That is really too bad. I was would have perfed ADV or Geneon. At least that way there would have been some quality to it.

Actually, loplop, Media Blasters is a pretty good company, and they handle their licensed titles very well. They own the license to Ruroni Kenshin, one of the most popular and best anime series ever made, and they also have Figure 17, which in my opinion is one of the more underrated anime series in the market. I'm pretty sure they will handle Ah! My Goddess with TLC. Wink
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
I'm sad and also happy. I'm really happy about the licensing of many more anime titles, but Ah! My Goddess TV by Media Blasters... Sad Crying or Very sad

This is going to mean that the cast from Geneon won't be there. Crying or Very sad

The seiyuu from AnimEigo and Geneon won't be there. AnimEigo did a wonderful job for the OVA, Juliet Cesario as Belldandy and Pamela Weidner as Skuld. And the Geneon seiyuu from the Adventures of the Mini Goddess and the Movie wouldn't be there too, who are Bridget Hoffman as Belldandy, Wendee Lee as Urd and Sherry Lynn as Skuld.

I am truly disappointed. Why Media Blasters? Sad

I really hope the folks from Geneon or AnimeEigo will be cast for Ah! My Goddess TV. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
JaguarSavage

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree with biliano. I picked up the Figure 17 DVDs and I was very impressed with nearly everything about them. I think Media Blaster's releases have really increased in quality as of late.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:22 pm Reply with quote
This doen't absolutely mean that Media Blasters will use a new cast.

The original AnimEigo cast is probably pretty impossible to bring together given that the studio that dubbed it moved to another city (Costal). But it's still possible.

More possible would be the option to use Geneon's cast.

But in all likelyhood, I'd expect MB to go with a new cast. If you're really against the cast change, make your voice heard to them, they have have a rep in this forum.

-t
mrhomiec

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:24 pm Reply with quote
wow, Ah! My Goddess licensed so soon.
i guess that's cool, i think, yea, sure. =/
at least we won't have to wait forever for the dvds to catch up with the fansubs.
Ataru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Holy smokes. Not by AnimEigo. Not by Geoeon. But AMG got picked up by Media Blasters. AMG has been under some many company names here in the US, I starting to think it was an old Steamline release. Dang, I'm running out of weekly fansub downloads now that Naruto and AMG got snatched up, which is very good. I'm hope Media Blaster takes good care of my on my fav series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Seca

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe Ah! My Goddess TV is already licensed. Though I am happy to see I won't have to wait so long for it to come Stateside. Though I have to wonder if they'll have to wait for the series to finish before they can start releasing it here.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Naruto, Full Moon, Genshiken...this has been one hell of a good week for licenses! To think it happened in the middle of February and not July or something.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Media Blasters has acquired Ah My Goddess? This is very bad news for anime fans. I don't think I've ever heard of an anime title getting release here in the states right after the intro of the series in Tokyo. Sure it's good news that it means it MIGHT be on its way but somehow I doubt it.

I can't help but see this as a means of shutting down some of the fansub groups because Media Blasters has a thing against Fansubbers. Just a take a look at what happened with AnimeSuki and they only hosted links, no files.

The way I see it, there is no guarantee that it will be released anytime soon and considering that MB has been watching these fansub groups and saw the potential of AMG, they snatched it up thinking download numbers mean sales.

I'm doubtful that we'll see this series released before season one is completed and that means 2006, folks. While I don't want to sound like an optimist here, Media Blasters isn't exactly looked upon with respect among anime fans. Why? Bad publicity among anime fans worldwide has caused this impact and mostly because of their actions.

Here's hoping that if they release it it'll be under the original VA cast but if Kodansha, TV Tokyo and AIC had any sense they would revoke the title from Media Blasters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4