• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz to Launch Weekly Shonen Jump Alpha Digital Anthology

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:51 am Reply with quote
And so VIZ swiftly makes all the excuses in the WIPO thread worthless.

AWESOME NEWS! Go VIZ. Very affordable too.
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:59 am Reply with quote
They had better do a Warp on Toriko. I admit I follow scans on Naruto, OP and Bleach, but Toriko is one I've only followed legit...

Also, could this apply to other, non-SJ titles Viz publishes? Can you imagine them catching up to Case Closed?
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:07 am Reply with quote
vashthekaizoku wrote:
They had better do a Warp on Toriko. I admit I follow scans on Naruto, OP and Bleach, but Toriko is one I've only followed legit...

Also, could this apply to other, non-SJ titles Viz publishes? Can you imagine them catching up to Case Closed?

They had been doing it w/Rin-ne till it went on hiatus, so I assume Shonen Sunday is possible if this takes off

edit- PURE SPECULATION WARNING- I wonder if this is why Rin-ne went on hiatus? Because they figured out a way to better distribute/monetize that sort of thing? /end speculation
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:12 am Reply with quote
So the four week rental only applies to the $0.99 single-issue price, am I interpreting this correctly?
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:16 am Reply with quote
I suppose this is good news for people who enjoy reading manga online but personally I'll always prefer a physical copy to read instead.
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:26 am Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
I suppose this is good news for people who enjoy reading manga online but personally I'll always prefer a physical copy to read instead.

True, but I don't have the shelf space for 60 volumes of One Piece, 70 volumes of Case Closed, etc...:/
perixe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:33 am Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:

I actually don't like physical copies, because I'll eventually run out of bookcase space, I already have 3 boxes filled with manga I won't get rid of, so digital copies would work really well for me, even if they're just rentals
Anime Remix

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
After Weekly Shonen Jump Alpha launches, Viz Media plans to stop publishing the print edition of its Shonen Jump magazine next March with the "farewell April 2012 issue." Viz has been publishing the monthly magazine since 2003.
Nooo!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Well, it was bound to happen... Seeing how everyone is basically going digital in our modern society. Just hope the final issue of SJ is a pretty good one... Crying or Very sad
perroloco

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:53 am Reply with quote
No love for REBORN, Gintama or Hunter X Hunter..?
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:00 am Reply with quote
@Viz: Put out a %$#@ Android App!!!!

Quit limiting all this stuff to iOS and I'll buy your digital product. I've been wanting digital Bakuman LITERALLY for months.
PuppetDoctor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:07 am Reply with quote
This is kind of sad to me since I began reading manga because of Shonen Jump. I stumbled upon Shonen Jump in a bookstore in December 2003.

I stopped subscribing to the magazine in 2007 but I will probably pick up the final issue.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:37 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
@Viz: Put out a %$#@ Android App!!!!

Quit limiting all this stuff to iOS and I'll buy your digital product. I've been wanting digital Bakuman LITERALLY for months.

http://www.vizmanga.com is web accessible, you can buy it RIGHT NOW Smile
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:03 am Reply with quote
I'm conflicted on this: on the one hand I'm glad we'll be seeing releases of chapters much closer to the Japanese version's release. On the other hand I've been following the print magazine for several years now and grown attached to it. It'll be sad to see it end. Anime cry Nonetheless this is certainly an interesting development.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:16 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
http://www.vizmanga.com is web accessible, you can buy it RIGHT NOW Smile

I have a tablet, I want digital copies (I don't care about DRM as other people seem to, I don't care if there's limits on what I can do with the copies as long as I can READ them) that I can read offline. I don't want to pay for something that I need to be tethered to the internet to access. I'm fine not having "physical" copies, but I am NOT fine with not having access to my purchase if the Viz website is inaccessible.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:42 am Reply with quote
So let me get this straight...their doing a digital speed up for titles (like say Bleach)....but not a physical one....huh....yeah..I'd rather have a physical speedu up of the books. But hey I'm old fashioned like that.

well at least now I have a legal way to read newer chapters of Bleach, Naruto, Nora, etc. wonder how much it'll cost?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3