• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica to Get English BDs Starting February 14

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:48 am Reply with quote
Well Madoka Magica is a massive title that should sell decently here in the states..I've never heard of Christine Marie Cabanos..she already has the leading roles in Madoka Magica,Squid Girl and Oblivion Island: Haruka and the Magic Mirror..that's really odd for a new voice actress to get so many lead roles when she is simply starting out..that rarely happens for any voice actor or voice actress that is reverently new.

Last edited by iamthevastuniverse on Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
silencer226

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There will be a limited edition box with the DVD, Blu-ray Disc, and the original soundtrack. The box will bundle a 24-page booklet, a double-sided poster, a Kyubey sticker, collectible postcards, a trailer collection, and credit-less opening and ending animation footage.

Oh gee, this was the barrier between me importing the rest of the series and buying the localized release. Now it looks like everything is settled, I'll be going for the english release now instead of spending a lot of cash on imported releases with no dub or subs.

Not to mention look at those goodies, can't wait to own them! October 17... bu-bu-but I wanna preorder it NAOW!
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Damn, I love the way that they're handling the release of the series! Not too sure if I'll go for the special edition BD or not.

As for the dub.... wow, they're really bringing in some newer talent! It's great that they're getting some people that I'm not "sick of".... though, with them being newer voice talent, I'm naturally a bit anxious about how they'll do. Guess I gotta go listen to a few clips of the K-ON! dub, now...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quote
No price tag mentioned? Hmm. I'll definitely be going for the LE. Love that they're bundling the OST with it.

EDIT: Ah, so they're releasing the 3 OST CDs in 3 separate boxes instead of all with the first vol? I'll just go for the DVDs then.

Last edited by Megiddo on Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quote
The prices are out!

http://madokamagicausa.com/product-combo1.php

DVD = $29.98 each
Blu-ray = $39.98 each
DVD/Blu-ray/CD combo = $74.98 each

Just Blu-ray for me thanks.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I was sold before I knew how it was going to be released and I was prepared to drop $300 on this, but now that I know what all it entails, I'm so, so happy it's getting an awesome release. Dub, BD (combo?), art box, booklet, poster, postcards...makes it all worth it, though I wish they would be released monthly instead of bi-monthly.

That said, people who have watched K-ON and Squid Girl, how good are those actors? I hear good things about those dubs in general, but how are their individual performances?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mc-Taz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Good to hear that my contract wish came true! Hopefully the cost of the contract wont be dire! Wink
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Really disappointed that they're going with single releases rather than a box release. As expected, the prices are pretty ridiculous. Guess I'm waiting on this one.
infjeff

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:35 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I was sold before I knew how it was going to be released and I was prepared to drop $300 on this, but now that I know what all it entails, I'm so, so happy it's getting an awesome release. Dub, BD (combo?), art box, booklet, poster, postcards...makes it all worth it, though I wish they would be released monthly instead of bi-monthly.

That said, people who have watched K-ON and Squid Girl, how good are those actors? I hear good things about those dubs in general, but how are their individual performances?

I thought Madoka's VA was great as Squid Girl. I trust her 100%.

Anyway, this is amazing. Didn't expect Madoka to get such an epic release over here. Here I am with the Japanese BDs with less in them than the English release. Confused What to do...
Takeyo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Ouch! I think I spent ~$120 for the Durarara!! DVDs, and that was for more than twice as many episodes. It's great that Madoka is getting BDs, and the dub fans will be happy, I assume, but I'm not sure I can justify dropping around $7/episode (with discount) for a title I only moderately enjoyed, even for HD.

EDIT:
Jeez, that $40 quote is with the discount!
Mc-Taz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:52 pm Reply with quote
infjeff wrote:
I thought Madoka's VA was great as Squid Girl. I trust her 100%.

I'll second this, she did a really good job with Squid Girl. My only concern is that the characters are way different. However if she auditioned and got the role the same way as anyone else would, I'll have to assume that she did an outstanding job here as well. So I'm looking forward to hearing what it sounds like.

The other VA from Squid Girl only had a minor role in what's been released so far. We're talking about maybe 6-10 lines from the first DVD set. Though my initial impression is that she will probably play Sayaka fairly well.

Since I haven't seen the K-ON dub, I can't comment on Kyuubei's actor.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Ouch! I think I spent ~$120 for the Durarara!! DVDs, and that was for more than twice as many episodes. It's great that Madoka is getting BDs, and the dub fans will be happy, I assume, but I'm not sure I can justify dropping around $7/episode (with discount) for a title I only moderately enjoyed, even for HD.

EDIT:
Jeez, that $40 quote is with the discount!

I believe these releases are not designed nor intended for people who "only moderately enjoyed" the show.

The LEs will sell out. I guarantee it.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:59 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

I could tell you that as far as how they acted and were directed by I believe Tony Oliver in both Squid Girl and K-ON, Christine and Cassandra are convincing enough (don't know enough about Sarah Williams though). Having the first volume on DVD, Cassandra in K-ON makes Ritsu seem believably sassy and silly at the same time as far as vocals go. Christine makes Azusa sound....... hmmmm. Well she makes her sound like the most normal one of the girls. It's hard to describe it not because of Christine's acting but because of Azusa'a character. I mean she's the most down to earth as far as not having an extreme trait from what I recall and Christine does just that. Her as the main character in Squid Girl however is different. Having seen very little of that show in Japanese, it's not like I have trouble believing in the dub that the squid girl being naively treated and demands to be taken seriously.

So both of the actresses are fine as far as playing their parts. It's just a matter of how you already wanted the dub to sound in your head and if the dub ends up meeting your personal expectations. If it does, great. If not, then you can complain it to the voice director.

Anyway, to throw my 2 cents in, I'm not a huge fan of the show. But I am aware of how much hype juice Madoka Magica still has leftover and seeing the cast announcement, this could really go either way with these actresses as far as being well-known. Depending on what people subconsciously about the dub when they hear it, either they could be well-liked or well-hated. And frankly I'm worried for the actresses and whatever pressure they may possibly deal with. I mean people say the Durarara dub is fantastic, but part of it is because most of the cast are actors who are high-profile or actors fans grew up liking. The Madoka dub is a different matter though.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, here is my response:

Gimme the BR LE....I must have the precious.......
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:15 pm Reply with quote

You have my cash! *snickers at old LOTR meme*

In all seriousness, I am beside myself with joy. Madoka was without a doubt the finest show I've seen in years, and one that deserves all the attention it gets. Can't wait for the release, and on such a perfect day too! Gotta re-watch this one with my fiance Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5