• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's Shonen Jump Print Magazine to End Next March

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Supermutant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote
This really sucks. It does. I am sorry but reading it online isn't the same as reading it in magazine. Epic Fail Viz.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:11 pm Reply with quote
W-what?! The magazine that introduced me to Naruto, Bleach and Dr Slump when I was a kid is going to shut down?!

I haven't been reading it much lately, but a good portion of my childhood was spent reading this anthology every month... First Anime Insider, then this... Two parts of my childhood, decimated...

Good night, sweet prince, and may flights of angels send thee to thy rest.

EDIT: I wrote up a small obit for the magazine for anybody who's interested or wants to share thoughts:

http://friedanime.tumblr.com/post/11460824197/shonen-jump-2002-2011

Last edited by Apollo-kun on Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
comicozi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:23 pm Reply with quote
with this viz obviouly doesnt care about the kids that dont have access to the internet either.
Jrittmayer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Going the same way as Yen+ eh?

I don't understand the appeal of online magazine. I've been a Shonen Jump subscriber for YEARS. You want to know why I've paid my $30 a year for a magazine full of series that were lagging well behind their counterparts in Japan. Why would I PAY for something I can read online for free, not to mention more up to date? Because I like having the physical magazine to read where ever when ever. I hate reading manga on a computer screen, it doesn't feel right.

So, yeah. Guess I'll be reading alot less One Piece from now on.

Just a thought, how many people subscribe to Yen+ online as opposed to when they had a physical magazine?
Supermutant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I too subscribed from the very start of Shonen Jump and have every issue. That is why I am so passionate. I hate just digital because computers and devices can break or crash. You can control print a lot better.

When it comes to Yen+ I didn't. I just been waiting to pick up the series in volume format in print. Just haven't always had chance.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Damn! That really stinks for current subscribers... have things really not being going that well for it lately, moreso than for other print magazines? As Supermutant's stated above, reading the manga online won't be the same as reading in print... well, it might be close to it if you read on kindle (if SJ will even be available there). But how many younger anime fans would have kindle?

I started subscribing from the 4th issue of its first year of publication on, and I stopped collecting issues in 2009, but that was mainly because of how I was transitioning into college and how my shelf space was being eaten away by all the issues I had already collected! SJ was such an important contributor to my early fandom-- nay, it was essential to my formative years as an anime fan and reader of graphic novels. I can't tell you how "cool" it felt to have in my hands in those first few years of publication to have uncut manga with cursing, partial nudity, and other suggestive themes! Laughing More seriously, though, it exposed me to many manga and anime over the years... without it, I'm sure I wouldn't be as big a fan as I am today.

Crying or Very sad I'll miss seeing you on the newsstands, SJ. Hope you'll still be able to find some new audiences in your online format...

Last edited by Animerican14 on Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
formerroadie1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, they've lost my subscription. Good going there Viz. What a lame move.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:49 pm Reply with quote
God damn it. Nice job breaking it, Viz. Evil or Very Mad
redranger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow. This makes me very very sad. Seriously, just fudge everything.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Or maybe there wasn't any profit in keeping the print version. Manga as a whole in America seems to be doing better in volume form, then as magazines. Probably because the smaller number (well compared to the Japanese) of people buying, and because it's not being published for the first time in it. I've been expecting Viz to shut down their Shonen Jump for a while, especially when you take into account the manga bubble and everything.

I am sorry for the people who enjoyed it, but I'm not surprised. Print media isn't doing terribly well now on the whole for the most part, and magazines are definitely one of the ones getting hit the hardest.
darcerin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Damn it, and I JUST sent in a renewal for a subscription for a friend for Christmas. I'll have to ask him what he wants to do...
Sailor S

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:30 pm Reply with quote
So the Shonen Jump readers now have to feel the pain of losing their magazine like us Shojo Beat readers did a couple years back. Glad I took the option of getting my money refunded rather than have my subscription roll over to Shonen Jump like they were trying to do. Sucks for the readers, I know how disappointed I was when Animerica basically shut down, and then its replacement Shojo Beat shut down, and when Newtype USA shut down. I wasn't the least bit sad when that crappy magazine that replaced Newtype USA shut down, whatever the heck it was called. Anyways, the demise of all those magazines are the primary reason why I never started subscribing to Otaku USA. I guess now that's on the death watch, since it seems every anime publication is doomed to fail.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Does this means we won't be getting anymore of Yu-Gi-Oh! promo cards that comes with the magazine?

This sucks, I've already subscribed it this year and this is the news I get? Sorry, but no more subscriptions for me starting next year. Sad
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Good job Viz. You had a nice run there. I bought SJ from issue 2 and continued for about 3 years before I gave up. I wouldn't be as into anime as I currently am if it wasn't for you.

9 years... pretty good run.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
So the Shonen Jump readers now have to feel the pain of losing their magazine like us Shojo Beat readers did a couple years back. Glad I took the option of getting my money refunded rather than have my subscription roll over to Shonen Jump like they were trying to do. Sucks for the readers, I know how disappointed I was when Animerica basically shut down, and then its replacement Shojo Beat shut down, and when Newtype USA shut down. I wasn't the least bit sad when that crappy magazine that replaced Newtype USA shut down, whatever the heck it was called. Anyways, the demise of all those magazines are the primary reason why I never started subscribing to Otaku USA. I guess now that's on the death watch, since it seems every anime publication is doomed to fail.

PiQ (I think).
Oh and don't jinx Otaku USA! I just signed up a subscription for year (I got a nice deal)!!!! I don't want that magazine to die before my subscription ran out like Shonen Jump (and I just subscribed for TWO YEARS a few days ago!!!!!)

As for Shonen Jump dying, I think I said all I needed to in the other forum. As much as it sucks, it's probably the right business decision and I'm sure it'll be successful.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6