• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz's Shonen Jump Print Magazine to End Next March

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Print is dead! Long live print!

(Maybe they'd speed up the tankoubons instead, now that there's no more monthly mag standing in the way..........)
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:01 am Reply with quote
thewonderer2 wrote:
You can have the opinion to like or not anything. BUT Nothing excuses the horrible writing in those series. Nothing justifies the amount of sales both of those series have accumulated.

The fact that so many great series take a back seat to those two here in America sickens me

One Piece has crappier writing.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:18 am Reply with quote
comicozi wrote:
with this viz obviouly doesnt care about the kids that don't have access to the internet either.

Honestly dude, that is not a huge market lost (if any at all). In this time, who does not have access to the internet?
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:49 am Reply with quote
I was definitely not surprised by this. Even major magazines are struggling and closing, and with so many bookstores closing it was going to be hard for Viz to get this stocked on shelfs. To be honest, I'm more surprised it's lasted this long.

R.I.P. Shonen Jump.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:09 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
thewonderer2 wrote:
You can have the opinion to like or not anything. BUT Nothing excuses the horrible writing in those series. Nothing justifies the amount of sales both of those series have accumulated.

The fact that so many great series take a back seat to those two here in America sickens me

Now now, no need for such talk. Long Running Shonen are a beast of subjectivity, none is truly the "BEST THING EVERZ" or "Worst of all time" It all depends on the readers own personal preferance.

So yeah, lets all calm down, take deep breaths...and relax.

But BOT: Yeah I agree that VIZ is kind of overlooking their younger readers with this move, not all kids have tablets/kindles. And even if they do I doubt every kids parent would let them use a credit card on it. But meh who knows.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:27 am Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
thewonderer2 wrote:

Now now, no need for such talk. Long Running Shonen are a beast of subjectivity, none is truly the "BEST THING EVERZ" or "Worst of all time" It all depends on the readers own personal preferance.

So yeah, lets all calm down, take deep breaths...and relax.

But BOT: Yeah I agree that VIZ is kind of overlooking their younger readers with this move, not all kids have tablets/kindles. And even if they do I doubt every kids parent would let them use a credit card on it. But meh who knows.

You should be able to pay for it with an Itunes gift card, as even if you don't have an apple product, you can still sign up for Itunes [or use a friends apple product to buy it]. And since VIZ's vizmanga accounts allow you to read on multiple devices with your account, you could then just read stuff online. They sell Itunes gift cards everywhere- I'm definitely signing up now after remembering that.

This is my understanding of it anyways Smile Anyhoo, I'm guessing VIZ'll come up with different ways to get the subscription, and will apparently be offering a year of the program to current subscribers in place of their post-April issue subscriptions, which should cover a lot of the kids in this situation.

EDIT--- Looks like you can also pay by PayPal on VIZ's website, which is where this will also be for sale. Keep in mind that lots of kids buy cosplay stuff via PayPal, and that many parents would buy it for their kids with their CC anyways [they'd be doing that to pay for a print subscription anyways]. There's also a lot of people with debit cards that work online nowadays. I think it's less of an obstacle when you think about the options available. I imagine there will be some kids whose parents won't want them to buy something online, tho I suppose those kids will continue to get exposed to the series by the graphic novel lines....
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:23 am Reply with quote
true, I bet you could also use a pre-paid VISA giftcard (probly be what I end up doing.)

But yeah hope this turns out well for VIZ.
Brazzlefrazz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:03 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty disappointing. I bought my first issue in January of 2006 and I haven't missed one since then. Before I bought that I only watched the anime that they played friday nights on YTV, so my exposure was pretty small, but afterwards I started buying and buying, and it hasn't stopped yet. It's going to be pretty lame not being able to look forward to a new shonen jump anymore, even if they issues were getting even thinner and I wasn't reading everything in it these days.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:16 am Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:

Younger kids are not to be trusted consumers. Once they become teenagers and figure out downloading, with no more allowance and with just meager pay from their crappy part-time jobs supporting their smartphone habit and high gas prices, they wouldn't spend another dime on it. Twisted Evil
yamiangie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:05 pm Reply with quote
NimbusRain wrote:
Even though Shonen Jump was merely a shell of what it used to be, this news still makes me sad. I've got no problem with anime broadcasts taking everything online, but manga is a format that really doesn't need to enter the digital age.

I was a subscriber to SJ from Issue 1, and it introduced me to countless series I wouldn't have given a chance otherwise. I remember how excitedly I would come home from school at the start of the month, hoping to find the latest issue in my mailbox. Then of course, I'd read the entire thing in one sitting.

The writing started to go way downhill as the years went on though. In the beginning they had thought-provoking insightful articles like historical connections in Rurouni Kensin or behind-the-scenes stories in a manga studio. Their recent articles were nothing more than blatant sales pitches. "Hey all of you young ninjas! Be like Naruto and buy all of our merchandise!" I can remember how furious I was when they started advertising graphic novels in the margins of the actual manga pages. Laughing

Needless to say, I canceled my subscription 2 or 3 years ago, so this news isn't all that devastating. As a relic from my childhood though, this magazine will certainly be missed. I just hope they continue to print graphic novels and don't decide to go 100% digital. I read most of my manga outside, so I can't exactly just drag my computer along with me.

I feel the same way about how it used to have good content written in addition to the manga chapters. It went down hill once they stopped using it to raise awareness of titles effectively.
Hellfish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I have long stopped to buy shonen jump as I shifted tastes and the magazine shifted titles, but I still find this sad. I many have the first numbers starting with the small preview. I even have a crappy letter printed in the number one...
To be honest I miss more shojo beat, but the death of Shonen Jump on the U.S. seems like the final coffin on the nail :S
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:31 am Reply with quote
I've taken some time to digest this news and here are my thoughts. For those who care.

As someone who has been a subscriber of Shonen Jump since issue #3, as someone who was introduced to still-favorite series such as Naruto and One Piece through the magazine, and as someone who is still an advocate for reading, not just comics and manga but books and news, in print ...

... I was absolutely shocked by this news. In fact, I took it pretty hard.

Shonen Jump has been a part of my life for almost a decade. As my subscriptions shifted from Nintendo Power and GamePro to Time and Sports Illustrated, I kept Jump coming in the mail. And every time I opened my mailbox to find it, it added just a little bit more joy to my day. Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, Shaman King, YuYu Hakusho, and yes even Yu-Gi-Oh! Even though a lot of my friends were fans of the same series, none of them had Jump, and I felt it was my own special thing to have, a secret knowledge to know the Japanese names of Yu-Gi-Oh's characters and know the original story behind Dragon Ball Z, my favorite show as a kid (hell, it's still in my favorite TV show).

In retrospect, I should have seen this coming. I majored in journalism in college, and the major theme throughout my years was that we were getting into the industry at the worst time, because everything was going online, and print was dying. Just recently, DC Comics began releasing online-exclusive comic books, along with all of their new issues digitally as well as in print (an advantage of being one of two major comic book companies, and a decades-old publisher I suppose). And a major story in the news right now is how the postal service is pretty much going under. Even if we had a print edition of Jump, we might not have a mail truck to deliver it for very much longer.

I don't think it's a bad decision on Viz's part. In fact, I think it's a good decision in terms of business. The whole reason I chose to subscribe to the magazine, and why I still buy the tankobon instead of simply downloading a scanlation and reading it on my computer is because I simply enjoying reading a physical copy in every case. I like sitting at the dinner table reading a newspaper over breakfast instead of hunched over my computer reading articles on Web sites. And I like propping up my feet or lying in bed while reading my manga. To me, it was worth the money to be able to read and enjoy manga that way. It really didn't have anything to do with whether it was ethical to download scanlations or not.

But nowadays, everything is not just going online, everything is going online and mobile. Cell phones are mini-computers, and we have tablet computers that you can read at the dinner table or while lying in bed. Just recently I read my first eBook, something I said I would never do, on my iPad and downloaded my first comic book, something I said I would never do, on my iPad. And I enjoyed them just the same as I would have had they been in print, far from my experience reading scanlated images of Fullmetal Alchemist on my computer. Reading online is far more convenient now than it was even five years ago.

And even since I began reading the magazine, I knew that I was horribly behind everyone else. Though I celebrated when they sped up Naruto (not once but twice), One Piece and Bleach, I still wished I could keep up with my friends. Couldn't they publish twice a month at least? More chapters per issue? I would have gladly paid more for it.

Now finally we have that opportunity. And really, the only way to do it is online. Those who are complaining about affordability and lack of support for their OS, I say patience. Tablets will become more commonplace, and apps will be developed across all carriers and OSes. I know it will happen. Because 10 years ago I never saw myself reading a book on a computer. And 10 years before that I never dreamed I could fit a computer in my pocket.

Yes, I'm going to miss Shonen Jump in its present form terribly, at least for a while. But if anything, it's not because I won't have the chance to read manga in a magazine. More so, it just reminds me that times are changing fast, and I'm getting older. I first read Jump as a sophomore in high school (I even remember the exact place I read the first chapter of Naruto), and now I'm a year out of college with a full-time job.

I can't say I'm happy about it all. And I certainly can't say I agree with all of Viz's editorial decisions, such as certain translations and censorship. But, at the very least for the memories and happiness Shonen Jump brought me, and to see the eventual end of Naruto and One Piece (which will be even more sad to me!), I will gladly support them in this bold endeavor.

It's not the end, but a new beginning.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:41 pm Reply with quote
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:28 am Reply with quote
Wow, that's kinda depressing. I was crazy about everything Shonen Jump back in middle school. What a shame to see it go. This is a pretty sobering reminder of the fact that the "anime bubble" is well and truly popped.

I haven't been a subscriber for years, but I might buy the last issue for old times' sake.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:36 am Reply with quote
Supermutant wrote:
This really sucks. It does. I am sorry but reading it online isn't the same as reading it in magazine. Epic Fail Viz.

But isn't that what they wanted all the long? (at least to today's tots which I don't care about) It's all the way economics is being played in the digital age as I see it. In the end, it sucks to be poor.

comicozi wrote:
with this viz obviouly doesnt care about the kids that don't have access to the internet either.

Further limiting readership in the process that's already in a tight squeeze.

Jrittmayer wrote:
I don't understand the appeal of online magazine. I've been a Shonen Jump subscriber for YEARS. You want to know why I've paid my $30 a year for a magazine full of series that were lagging well behind their counterparts in Japan. Why would I PAY for something I can read online for free, not to mention more up to date? Because I like having the physical magazine to read where ever when ever. I hate reading manga on a computer screen, it doesn't feel right.

I don't mind the online thing much myself despite the fact some of those you don't technically 'own' in the same way you could own a magazine or book. Reading online can also be a pain for me since it does mean using something that consumes power of any kind and also a strain since the way I would read a book requires more attention with less hassle since you could take your time with 'em.

As long as they do continue to publish graphic novels, I'm fine with it.

nyce1 wrote:
I
7. this is the best way to Combat digital piracy and fan subs and may very well save manga in this country.

I bet it won't.

Quote:
8. digital media IS the way of the future itunes has proven this. i understand nostalgia but do you know anyone who would rather use a VHS player over a dvd player. would you rather have a disc man than an ipod. this is the way this is a step in the right direction for any compnay who wants to stay on top in this new world.

I still use my VCR, LD player and a Watchman! What of it?

BorgmanJayce wrote:
What about people who live in other English-speaking places like the UK and Ireland, South Africa and Australia? Viz doesn't give a shit about them seeing as they said they have no plans to release their Apps outside North America for the foreseeable future. In other words, it'll be a long time, if at all before we get to see their stuff online legally.

See, nobody ever wins!

UltimaShadowfax wrote:

Which does not surprise me. They certainly butter their bread over that one.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6