• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim to Split from Cartoon Network

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Before anyone asks, it's just a stunt to manipulate the ratings in order to make the network look more impressive to people who look at the ratings, and when CN/AS quotes the ratings in press releases and advertising solicitations.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Okay, let me get this straight. Cartoon Network and adult swim will still air one after the other on whatever channel it is (39 in Pittsburgh) but will be considered two different networks?

For comparative purposes only, would this be akin to a network switching over to infomercials during the overnight hours?
Ahrigal

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Yea that's the same question I have, but Turner which owns Cartoon Network will make Adult Swim it's own network. It kinda makes sence. I guess it has something to do with sub-networks like take Nicklodeon for example, they have Noggin in the morning but it's one in the same. The differences are the shows that are watched. Very Happy Question
Phantom14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:35 pm Reply with quote
It is no suprise, ever since Robot Chicken the ratings went through the roof at over 700,000 viewrs from 18-34.
Kenshin5000

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I'm all for it if it means more attention for Adult Swim from advertisers and other media outlets.
biliano

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote
emory staterd a thread about this very subject back on Feb.15:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12829

The thread contains a link to the article from Broadcastingcable.com about the "split".
emory

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Think about it like Nickelodeon and Nick at Nite. Nielsen sees them as 2 separate networks.
Lone Outlaw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:29 pm Reply with quote
I just hope they keep the shows on the same way they do now
biliano

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Lone Outlaw wrote:
I just hope they keep the shows on the same way they do now

They will. This move was made to generate more advertising revenue for the network as a whole.
AzuNinja

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:43 pm Reply with quote
They are trying to get the ratings up high enough, that Turner will consider them for there own channel, with The Cartoon Network block will be like a preview to the seperate channel.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:04 pm Reply with quote
AzuNinja wrote:
They are trying to get the ratings up high enough, that Turner will consider them for there own channel, with The Cartoon Network block will be like a preview to the seperate channel.

There is no way Adult Swim has enough programming to fill up a full time schedule.
Phantom14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Very ture, but that is not going to happen any time soon.

Does this also mean that [as] has a say in what the content of the show can be?
wolfcry
ANN Past Staff

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:02 pm Reply with quote
ShellBullet wrote:
AzuNinja wrote:

There is no way Adult Swim has enough programming to fill up a full time schedule.

Meh, who says programing wont come their way in the future? The only reason they dont as of now is because of the limited time slot I think. There's plenty of material out there, its just a mater of getting it. If they had the viewership to buy it, it could be done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mr. Bushido

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:05 pm Reply with quote
with any luck, maybe they'll show rurouni kenshin and all those other animes that got dumbed down for teh kids to fill up space. because I honestly couldn't see 24 hours of ATHF and Milk-chan on any network that wants to take itself seriously...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
space clam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Phantom14 wrote:
Does this also mean that [as] has a say in what the content of the show can be?

I'm curious to know that as well. As far as I know (my knowledge is rather limited, though), [AS] *could* show almost whatever they wanted to, since they're cable TV, but choose not to, being affiliated with CN (essentially for kids the other 22 hours of the day). Maybe this little partition will encourage them to air more anime with few-to-no edits; one can always hope.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4