• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tenjho Tenge Manga Heavily Edited

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
renkinjutsushi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, they just guaranteed I'll go out of my way to by the TenTen tankobons if I decide I want the manga after all.

I feel sorry for the fans who won't hear about this before picking up the CMX release and get horribly confused and/or mad.

This is bull, DC. Freaking BULL.
Phantom14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Please e-mail them at [email protected]

Tell them we won't even look at it becuse of this!
quincyarcher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Phantom14 wrote:
Please e-mail them at [email protected]

Tell them we won't even look at it becuse of this!

I think perhaps a better way to deal with this is as was suggested in the Anime on DVD forums. To purchase the book (or to those who preordered and had no choice) and send it back for a refund, denoting the alleged wrongs. Anyone can e-mail just as easily as sign an online petition. By sending a book back, there is a stronger message, that we, the buying public, will not stand to be treated to crude editing attempts on a manga that should not be marketed to a lower demographic.

Some of the edits I understand, "foreigner" and the movement of the title. Certainly it's easier to read a book without people oggling the breasts and panties on the cover. But, as to the rest, an inch of fabric isn't going to make a rape any less real.
Phantom14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I see what you are saying. Makes sence. I sugest we do both. The measege will be clear and cut.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:11 pm Reply with quote
It's well worth noting that there is some severe graphic content later on as well that will be even more difficult to edit. As stated in my post in the manga thread, I'll be keeping my fanscans and buying the Japanese version should CMX choose not to re-release this properly. In addition to this, I'l be sending a regular letter to them as well with my complaint about this treatment and my intentions.

Due to the content, the intended demographic really doesn't change with the edits. This isn't 10-15 years ago when manga of that severity had a need to be edited for a U.S. release. Several "mature" manga have seen plenty of success by using shrinkwrap and warning stickers. There is no reason this shouldn't have been handled the same way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Phantom14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Great.

Does anyone else think that CCA also has something to do with this?
mrakai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Phantom14 wrote:
Great.

Does anyone else think that CCA also has something to do with this?

I doubt it, the CCA wouldn't allow most of what left even after the editing (rape, pretty much any sexuality, violence not in the service of justice, etc).

Most comics (even DC) don't bother with the CCA seal anymore.
Phantom14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Tha is what I was thinking, but hey, you never know.

Still, this should not stand, I am not the type of fan tha will get served just anything becuse you think I will get it.

It is best we send them a messege.
Calli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow...and people treated Tokyopop like the manga antichrist over Chobits.

I hadn't heard of the 'purchase then return and send complaint letter' strategy before, but it actually sounds pretty good. It sends the message that, hey, you'd LIKE to buy the product, but when you saw the alterations you felt cheated of your money, so you demanded a refund. I think it's a very good way to try and effect change -- far more sensible than the extremist-fen notion of acquiring illegal versions to spite them.

I'll have to remember this if I end up in a similar situation down the road, I think. I'm personally not interestedin Tenjo Tenge, but considering that it's a mature title aimed at mature readers -- the edits strike me as nonsensical.
Phantom14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quote
However it goes, I think they just shot themselvs in the foot.
space clam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:23 pm Reply with quote
The idea to purchase and return the manga, citing examples of what you believe to be wrong, is infinitely better than sending angry e-mails out. To do this, some kind of time and work had to be put into the process, much more than a quick e-mail (which are usually rife with grammar errors and such, making the company all the more likely to ignore it). You could always sit down and write a well thought-out letter to the, as well--the tried-and-true method.

As for edits themselves, maybe they thought they had a chance with marketing the manga to a younger audience. If that's the case, they must think they were clever enough to pull it off. If not, they must've had some other motive; I can't imagine a marketing meeting without someone saying, "Hey! Why don't we shrinkwrap it, just like everyone else does.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I find it pretty funny that my old Dragonball volumes from 2000, when Viz's graphic novel size was a bit bigger and Dragonball was one of the early unflipped mangas, were completely uncut, including nudity and swearing. Meanwhile, new mangas are suddenly being censored in ways that really annoy fans, though, to be fair, TenTen is more mature than Dragonball. It's like there is a new objective to censor what wasn't censored before. While it may seem like not much if Naruto loses his middle finger or if smoking is removed from Hikaru no Go (while still left to Sanji in One Piece), it's a trend that scares me. It's all part of the more conservative censors' focus on the media since the "wardrobe malfunction" of Super Bowl 2004. Hopefully this trend will back off in the next year.
Izlude

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
I find it pretty funny that my old Dragonball volumes from 2000, when Viz's graphic novel size was a bit bigger and Dragonball was one of the early unflipped mangas, were completely uncut, including nudity and swearing.

Heh, take a GOOD LOOK at Mr.Popo. Notice anything missing? =3
AchtungAffen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:05 pm Reply with quote
It's a free market economy, right? DON'T BUY and they'll change, or die because of economical inefficiency, and then scanlations will take over them.
NeoSam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking about preordering this, I'm really happy I didn't.

They have lost another customer here, I'll have to stick to "other" methods to get the real Tenjou Tenge manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8