• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal Blu-Ray

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The American Average

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
A little pricey but it was an awesome ova. one of the best ever made
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I was considering how I would word my disagreement with the grade for the dub, but thanks to Tony K. I can just say "I agree with Tony K."
That was easier than I thought. Edit: Apparently nothing is at easy as it seems on this [EXPLETIVE] forum.

The grade the dub got when it was new felt a little generous but the new grade for the same old dub feels completely like a gimmie.

Last edited by ArsenicSteel on Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:30 pm Reply with quote
The logic seems to be "The dub may be bad, but even it can't bring something this good below an A." That is, if you're watching the dub, everything else makes up for it. It's an absolute "measurement," not a measurement in comparison to watching it subtitled.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:55 pm Reply with quote
This is truly a masterpiece. I think I've watched my copy about four times in the last month. HD telecines all the way.
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:20 am Reply with quote
Even if you haven't seen any or only parts of the TV show the OVA is amazing and you can still follow it without issue. I have only seen around 12 episodes of the series and found it to be only OK and nothing special. I'm sure do to this that I missed some inside knowledge scenes but I don't think I missed anything of real importance to the OVAs. Is it worth the absurdly high price tag? If it is one of your favorite shows then yes, if not then I would pass. It is one of the best transfers to Blu-Ray for anime but you have to be a big fan for it to be worth the price.
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:50 am Reply with quote
Man, this series was amazing. I think made two friends who never read a manga watch this and they loved it (I did not force them Shocked !). I really like the cover they used for this edition that actually looks like the original series.

Anyway, does anybody know when is the first new Kenshin film going to be released in Japan? I doubt this year considering the lack of trailers.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:58 am Reply with quote
Affordable or not, I'm not sure if I'm willing to double-dip on Trust & Betrayal given how old the masters must be. Is there a really noticeable difference in quality?

That aside, the OVA's quality is beyond reproach by all measures. It pains me to see After Story and Steins;Gate riding above it in the Top 10.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:37 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Affordable or not, I'm not sure if I'm willing to double-dip on Trust & Betrayal given how old the masters must be. Is there a really noticeable difference in quality?

Oh goodness yes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:15 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Big Hed wrote:

Oh goodness yes.

I know on ANNcast Justin was very impressed with how good it looked. I'd take that as a big plus when it comes to visual quality.
rabrek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:34 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Big Hed wrote:

Oh goodness yes.

Wow. I'd decided not to get it, seeing as I have the single discs and the director's cut on my shelf already, but... wow. Thanks very much for the link. Just placed my order with RightStuf.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:15 pm Reply with quote
The picture quality difference makes me cry as I can't really justify spending that much money on something I already own. Crying or Very sad
Tsunami3k

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the DVD/BC comparison shots are nothing short of amazing. I'd have double-dipped in a heart-beat had price been sub-stratospheric. I treasure this OAV as it was a critical contributor to supercharging my appreciation for the medium but the price is far and above what I would have considered "premium".

Still, for anyone who can obtain it for a fair price, regardless of format, it's an exceptional title and deserves every bit of the high praise it's received throughout its domestic release history. In that sense I'm really glad that this re-release is putting it back in the spotlight again.
GoldenAvenger7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Nice review of the blu ray. Probably the best I have read on the site. I have the episodes on blu ray and the Hi Def is stunning. Definitely recommended.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:16 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Big Hed wrote:

Oh goodness yes.

Wow! That's all I have to say...
immortalrite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Easily the best $60 I have ever spent on any single anime anything. A total and complete masterpiece with an equally astounding HD transfer.

As regards the dub, I still consider it unwatchable, and was even somewhat baffled that they included it at all. In your typical run-of-the-mill 90s anime series, it would perhaps have been passable; but in Trust & Betrayal it is a lot like watching someone irreverently defile an elegant, beautiful painting with a can of spray paint.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2