• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Twitch Site: Gary Oldman, Helena Bonham-Carter Offered Akira Roles

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Gary Oldman is pretty awesome and Bonham-Carter is no slouch either. Well, if they take the roles that's something positive to look forward to. At least Garrett Hedlund is age appropriate and not some over the hill Keanu Reeves. What they do with the script is another story, but at least these are some moves in the right direction.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:31 pm Reply with quote
This news doesn't mean a whole lot; plenty of stars are offered roles before somebody is finally settled on. Jodie Foster's Clarice in Silence of The Lambs is a great example of that: dozens of high-profile names were offered the role before the producers finally settled on Foster. Thank god they did xD

But on-topic, I'm not exactly sure who Helena would play... And as for Oldman, I could see him playing the General I guess, but I don't know. I've had a bad feeling about this movie from day one, and the actors that are being considered for parts make me wonder how much the writers butchered the film....
jtstellar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
pls don't refer to mortal persons as 'stars'.. quite nauseating
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Helena Bonham-Carter as Lady Miyako? *had to do a google search of the latter name* Oh, that character? Hmm.... I've only seen the movie, which was this past summer.... but she didn't seem like a particularly important character there. I assume she has a more important role in the manga, and/or will have a more important role in the film?

Or is this going to be one of those big-star roles that are gonna be as short-lived as Ralph Fiennes's role as Contractor Team Leader in The Hurt Locker?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Helena Bonham-Carter as Lady Miyako? *had to do a google search of the latter name* Oh, that character? Hmm.... I've only seen the movie, which was this past summer.... but she didn't seem like a particularly important character there. I assume she has a more important role in the manga, and/or will have a more important role in the film?

Or is this going to be one of those big-star roles that are gonna be as short-lived as Ralph Fiennes's role as Contractor Team Leader in The Hurt Locker?
She better have if they think Ms. Bonham-Carter will sign up for it, and Mr. Fiennes did that roll before he won his Oscar for "King's Speech". Wink
jtstellar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:

im not sure what can be a bigger hint that the script's been heavily edited than what has escaped you just now.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
She better have if they think Ms. Bonham-Carter will sign up for it, and Mr. Fiennes did that roll before he won his Oscar for "King's Speech". Wink

Uh.... Ralph Fiennes wasn't in The King's Speech, so he hasn't won any oscars yet. Are you thinking of Colin Firth, who did win Best Actor for that role? (Side note: Isn't it kinda funny how all the actors we're discussing, save Colin Firth, have had big roles in the Harry Potter films? What, with Fiennes= Voldemort, Bonham-Carter=Bellatrix, Oldman= Sirius Black?)

@jtstellar: Hey now, I was openly posing such a question because last time I checked--which was a while back-- the manga was going to be used more as the base for the adaptation than the anime itself. (Or was that only when that other director was attached?) Isn't Akira still going to be a mult-part film as well? So if the manga is to be looked at more for the adaptation, and since I haven't read it, it'd make sense to wonder if Lady Miyako has a larger role in the manga, and therefore the movie. And besides, other than the location alteration, we technically don't know just how much of the story itself will be changed. For all we know, they could somehow stick more closely to some specific elements of the original Akira anime/manga than we thought they would.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I was feeling fairly pessimistic about this movie but I'd feel a whole lot better if these two were attached.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
I have no idea who Bonham-Carter is, and I was fairly positive that Gary recently died after from a seizure.

But when it comes to live-action stuff...unless it's a famous actor making fun of his own past role(Adam West), I rather have no-name actors portraying someone in a live-action work.
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
I have no idea who Bonham-Carter is

Tim Burton's wife. You might recognize her as the Red Queen from Alice in Wonderland, Bellatrix Lestrange from Harry Potter, Mrs. Lovett from Sweeney Todd, and Emily from Corpse Bride.

Quote:
and I was fairly positive that Gary recently died after from a seizure.

Nope, he's still alive and well.

And to everyone suddenly getting optimistic, let's keep in mind that good actors don't make a good movie. Let's remember, Michael Clarke Duncan was in Legend of Chun-Li, they had Ray Park in King of Fighters, and they somehow managed to get Chow Yun Fat and Randall Duk Kim for Dragonball Evolution. Along with countless other examples not related to anime or game adaptations. So no, I'm not gonna be all "Oh, maybe this movie will be good" because one or both of these two MIGHT be in it.
Gon*Gon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:24 pm Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf wrote:
Gon*Gon wrote:
I have no idea who Bonham-Carter is

Tim Burton's wife. You might recognize her as the Red Queen from Alice in Wonderland, Bellatrix Lestrange from Harry Potter, Mrs. Lovett from Sweeney Todd, and Emily from Corpse Bride.

I loved that lady in Alice in Wonderland! Never heard of all the other characters.

I don't think she'll be able to do Miyako though.
Quote:
and they somehow managed to get Chow Yun Fat and Randall Duk Kim for Dragonball Evolution.

I'm fairly positive that Chow Yun Fat only accepted this role because he wanted an excuse to be himself in front of an audience. Plus, he probably wanted the potential "perks" of playing as someone like Roshi. Wink
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Gon*Gon wrote:
I loved that lady in Alice in Wonderland! Never heard of all the other characters.

You've never seen those other movies then, I'm assuming?

Quote:
I'm fairly positive that Chow Yun Fat only accepted this role because he wanted an excuse to be himself in front of an audience. Plus, he probably wanted the potential "perks" of playing as someone like Roshi. Wink

Still, point is they got a good actor for a shitty movie and it didn't make it any better.

btw, fun fact: Michael Clarke Duncan only accepted the role of Balrog in Legend of Chun-Li because he's a Street Fighter fan himself {and Balrog is his main} and he was determined to make Balrog as goofy as he is in the games because he knew the rest of the movie would be a pile of suck that had almost nothing in common with the games.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote
jtstellar wrote:
pls don't refer to mortal persons as 'stars'.. quite nauseating

This is off topic and somewhat indulgent of me to mention... but the only known place in the observable universe with temperatures hot enough to forge the elements that constitute our bodies are in the furnaces of a dying star. Though our forms are relatively new, the carbon, oxygen, iron, zinc, etc. within us has lingered here for countless millenia, their provenance lying in the crushing gravitational energy burning at the heart of a stellar behemoth in its death-throes, exploding violently in a supernova and casting its celestial innards across the cosmic sea.

That's why some folks say that we mortals are stardust, and other similarly poetic notions. We are all, basically, children of the stars. Very Happy

Last edited by Lightning Leo on Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
toyNN

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Those two would be great additions to the cast - both excellent with the edgy-character types. Oldman's bad-guy roles (Fifth Element, The Professional) are well done and he was good in the new Batman movies. Helena Bonham-Carter her role in Fight Club I'll always recall, plus her many Tim Burton-Johnny Depp movies. And of course they were both in the Harry Potter movies.

I'd love to see both of Oldman & Boham-Carter in Akira - any role they play will make for a better movie.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Meh, live action anime adaptations. Just not too interested.

I just know Gary Oldman as a guy who was apparently in the movie Tip-Toes that was spoiled on Tosh.0.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2