• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Space Invaders

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That said, there is probably no way this show will get a BD release. I'm just guessing, based on the total lack of forum reaction to volume one and some near-dead silence when I asked about this on Twitter, that SKG is staggeringly unpopular in North America.

The strongest reason why I'm not buying the US TGwLTS release is because it's not getting a Blu-ray version. It's a HD show with HD video masters in Japan, so I'm not going to bother with a DVD release. IIRC, we're not getting the home video version of the series, either (or was it that we're missing some animated extras from the Japanese video release?), but it's been a while since I've paid any attention to comments about the US release.

I want to own the series. If the Japanese release had had subtitles, I might have imported it. I imported both My-HiME/Zeta-HiME BD sets since they included the Bandai subtitles (and I think that they're only good upscales, not actual HD productions). TGwLTS wasn't the greatest science fiction story, but it was a fun show.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:26 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:

What exactly was the purpose of the quiz show episode of Ergo Proxy and what are your thoughts on it? Also, as far as i can tell, Chihayafuru has been one of the more overlooked shows of the season thus far.

Well, as far as we could figure (and it has been a while, so I may have forgotten some of our theories), the quiz show served as a way to both give new information and recap old without having an out-and-out recap episode. I believe that Re_L and Vincent both acknowledged that the episode actually happened as well, giving a weird metafictional quality to the whole thing, which seems pretty in line with the series as a whole. It also may have served some sort of symbolic purpose, like the one shot of Re_L floating in the river like the famous Pre-Raphaelite painting of Ophelia. Remember that earlier in the series, Vincent encountered a physical library that provided him with a lot of information; changing it to a TV show may be some kind of statement on how we get information. The show did embrace the idea of the dystopic future, so it seems like a real possibility.

And if all of this sounds like symbobabble (the symbolism version of technobabble that I just made up right now), my sister and I work in art and literature respectively, so we've sort of been trained to find symbolism where there very well may not be any. Smile

You're right - Chihayafuru is not getting nearly the attention it deserves. Do you suppose the karuta aspect is scaring people off?
Nineofclubs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
For me squid girl felt more like a western cartoon then an anime. Not that that is a bad thing. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I just think the enjoyment level may be different depending on what you're expecting.

It's like japanese sponge bob, something that could probably be enjoyed by the whole family, sanae's creepy yes but i found a lot of humor in her character regardless and nothing that ever really went over the edge.
cannonballz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I guess I will look into Squid Girl for a rental. If its anything like Sgt. Frog, it'll be hilarious! Also, The Girl Who Leapt Through Space is a little weird, but I like it. It does remind me of My-Hime at times.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Burosan and Hara have pretty much abandoned FOTNS2 and admitted they were forced to keep going after Raoh died (Notice how Hokuto Musou didn't even bother to act like anything happened after Raoh's defeat, much less Freddie Mercury and adventures in China) so I would not hold it against anyone if they took that stance too. As far as I'm concerned, the series ended after Raoh, the rest is just fuel for Kenshiro > Chuck Norris meme jokes.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
You're right - Chihayafuru is not getting nearly the attention it deserves. Do you suppose the karuta aspect is scaring people off?

Sports anime, no matter how good they are, always get overlooked. No idea why. Their loss if they don't want to see Chihayafuru, Touch, Ippo, Hikaru no Go, Cross Game, Slam Dunk, etc.

As far as the shows for this week, I find them all mediocre, though to different degrees. SoreKake Girl would probably be lowest since I dropped it after one episode, then HnK as I watched it in full (years and years ago), and finally Ika Musume, which was funny at times but I had too many things to watch that season and so I lost track of it. If the Media Blasters set gets around $20 then I could pick it up.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I am kind of curious why you gave Squid Girl a rent, and even said that if it has some awesome extras you would have possibly given it a buy, since most of what I got from it was groan-worthy squid puns. It almost seemed like you thought it was perishable. Could you maybe elaborate on what really bumped it up? I have been hesitant to watch it, but probably will at some point.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
I finished watching the third HnK boxset last week and man, could that thing have more recap episodes? I counted eight, five of which were consecutive. Even the last episode was a freaking recap. I really enjoyed the final arc, though.

You gotta imagine, though, that when FotNS was on TV, it was 1985. VCRs perhaps weren't as widespread and there wasn't much of a home video market. If you missed it when it was on TV... that was it! The cable market and/or syndicated television are also very different in Japan. I think recap episodes were more appropriate for that time period. Five in a row is pretty rough, though.

darkchibi07 wrote:
I heard that baseball episode, awesome and badass on its own, really killed off a lot of the viewers since it served no purpose for the entire series.

I thought the baseball episode was very funny! I liked it. It actually helped me remember who some of the characters were, since it had been a few months since I'd seen volume one.

Princess_Irene wrote:
Erin, are you watching Chihayafuru? That's definitely my favorite from this past season

I did start watching Chihayafuru! Actually, when I went to Japan in 2009 I tagged along with Ed Chavez to a manga award ceremony, and Chihayafuru was the winning title. For a while, I even included it in my "Unusual Manga Genres" panel, although recently I may have cut it for time.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:32 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
JohnnySake wrote:

Squid Girl, another show that I don't know if "I get". Yeah, it's funny, the wordplay jokes are imaginative, and there is a little sprinkling of environmental messaging going on. But it feels like the show doesn't go anywhere (at least to me). I'd be hard pressed to pick up a second volume.

Squid Girl, at its core, is pretty much an animated sitcom. As long as the jokes are consistently funny and creative throughout, you don't have to worry too much on show "going anywhere".

Don't people get enough of that on TV?! Laughing

Megiddo wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:

Sports anime, no matter how good they are, always get overlooked. No idea why.

Most otaku simply cannot play. Laughing

BTW, a tip to those wanting to attend New York Comic Con / Anime Festival: they do not check badges; besides the "backdoor" is open. Wink
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
I've always been a bit puzzled as to the reason Sorakake Girl fell into a vacuum --- I found the show to be more imaginative and entertaining than many other Sunrise series, and I think Sorakake Girl is a better sequel to My-HiME than My-Otome was, though it never reaches the dramatic heights of My-HiME, nor ever really makes as much sense.

When did My-Hime ever make sense? The last arc had most of the characters acting completely out of character with little justification for their actions. My Otome was a series where I think they looked back at what worked and what didn't work, and changed the formula for the better.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Girl Who Leapt Through Space - Summary: people are confused about what the show is about, and one episode made the fanbois RAAAAGE. Sounds like my kind of show Smile
fireaxe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
While not a great show by any means, SoraKake Girl was a beauty to watch, and I sure enjoyed it a lot.
It's a shame that the plot was a blurry mess, because I ended up liking a lot some of those characters (Leopard and Baba were my favourites, and alone they were worth the time I spent watching this show).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
BTW, a tip to those wanting to attend New York Comic Con / Anime Festival: they do not check badges; besides the "backdoor" is open. Wink

Shocked I noticed a lot of badge checking...!
Faiga_Raisa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Superb collection Andrew! For a good five minutes I was staring at the pictures thinking something was 'off' with the manga. And then I realized they were French bound, lol. Are all your manga French? And....what's the average price per tankobon volume? I'm curious to see the exchange rate.

._.
I'm jealous, you've got some great titles that aren't published in NA or Oceania.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
dm wrote:
I've always been a bit puzzled as to the reason Sorakake Girl fell into a vacuum --- I found the show to be more imaginative and entertaining than many other Sunrise series, and I think Sorakake Girl is a better sequel to My-HiME than My-Otome was, though it never reaches the dramatic heights of My-HiME, nor ever really makes as much sense.

When did My-Hime ever make sense? The last arc had most of the characters acting completely out of character with little justification for their actions. My Otome was a series where I think they looked back at what worked and what didn't work, and changed the formula for the better.

Well I felt My-Hime's second arc made sense, in as much as that plot twist itself was a big move on it's own. But that ending? DAT ENDING!?

Otome made more sense, but I really liked the pet avatar system going in Hime.

Then again, watching the prince get cockblocked all the time was hilarious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4