• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tenjho Tenge Manga Heavily Edited

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DreamAnimeKitten

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't it have been easier to shrinkwarp it and put the parental advisory sticker on it? Instead of all the adding clothes and etc.
quincyarcher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Armagguedes wrote:
By the way guyz...

Does DC at least keep the right to left format, tipical to japanese books, or they mirrored the whole thing?

laters...

DC uses the Japanese format for their books.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:41 pm Reply with quote
DreamAnimeKitten wrote:
Wouldn't it have been easier to shrinkwarp it and put the parental advisory sticker on it? Instead of all the adding clothes and etc.

This is Corporate America we're talking about here. They only think of Money and how to get more of it. Heaven forbid they shrinkwrap when it's easier to censor stuff.

Gob Bless Capitalism.

Oh, and blame Janet Jackson's "Wardrobe Malfunction" and the FCC. Bastards.
Armagguedes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:11 pm Reply with quote
quincyarcher wrote:
Armagguedes wrote:
zapzap

DC uses the Japanese format for their books.

That's the very least they can do. I have a few 'americanized' mangas and reading them didn't feel right. Especially after reading one english manga and then looking at a friend's JP edition.

Anyway, thanks for your help. Smile

laters

[edit]i don't remember what manga it was, sry. Edited away "appleseed".[/edit]
DreamAnimeKitten

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
DreamAnimeKitten wrote:

This is Corporate America we're talking about here. They only think of Money and how to get more of it. Heaven forbid they shrinkwrap when it's easier to censor stuff.

Gob Bless Capitalism.

Oh, and blame Janet Jackson's "Wardrobe Malfunction" and the FCC. Bastards.

Your right. But if they want money, They should leave it the way the buyers want to read it. I'm sure some will still buy it but not as many if they left it alone. Or make two versions edited and unedited. But god forbid they do anything that the fans want. As my brother said when he first heard about the edits.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:42 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Does this mean we can expect all prostitution refrences to the Shinjuku girls of the GALS manga to be removed to make it more kid friendly than teen?

Shinjuku (新宿)? Their base of operations is Shibuya (渋谷).

Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Then every single movie should be produced and rated as G (instead of PG, PG-13, or R) in order to attract more audience. Cool We all know that is not true and will never happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:59 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

Then every single movie should be produced and rated as G (instead of PG, PG-13, or R) in order to attract more audience. Cool We all know that is not true and will never happen.

No, they stuff with either sappy love stories or gratuitous Violence and let it outta the door. So long as it has no swearing. (can't remeber the particular South Park quote....)
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:14 am Reply with quote
DreamAnimeKitten wrote:
Your right. But if they want money, They should leave it the way the buyers want to read it. I'm sure some will still buy it but not as many if they left it alone. Or make two versions edited and unedited. But god forbid they do anything that the fans want. As my brother said when he first heard about the edits.

Many stores won't carry material that's shrink-wrapped and rated M.

In order to make money, CMX has to get their titles to as many markets as possible, and for that they needed to censor the manga.

Not defending their choices, but just pointing out that reaching the mass market is worth a lot more financially than appeasing a few hardcore fans.

-t
matticans

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:30 am Reply with quote
Though it does annoy me a little that they are doing this, when it comes down to it all that matter is the GrEEn. They don't care what the hardcore fans want as Tempest said, they are trying to make the most money which means editing it and making it sellable to all ages instead of shrinkwrapping and making it for Mature readers.

I just think of it this way. If I have the first manga in front of me and it is uneditted. Then the company slaps, lets say $5000 dollars right in front of me and says we will give you that much money to let us edit it. If I say no they will leave it unedited but I will not get the money. I don't know about all of you but if there is that much GrEEn in front of me I am taking it no mater how hardcore a fan I may be.

This is just my opinion, so you don't have to agree with me. Wink
R.G.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:05 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
DreamAnimeKitten wrote:

Many stores won't carry material that's shrink-wrapped and rated M.

In order to make money, CMX has to get their titles to as many markets as possible, and for that they needed to censor the manga.

Not defending their choices, but just pointing out that reaching the mass market is worth a lot more financially than appeasing a few hardcore fans.

-t

True.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:06 am Reply with quote
matticans wrote:
Though it does annoy me a little that they are doing this, when it comes down to it all that matter is the GrEEn. They don't care what the hardcore fans want as Tempest said, they are trying to make the most money which means editing it and making it sellable to all ages instead of shrinkwrapping and making it for Mature readers.

I never said that they don't care.

Right now I don't know what they think, and I prefer not to presume, but rather to suggest possibilities.

It could be quite possible that they paid a very significant licensing fee and would lose money with any sort of release that wasn't really targeted at the biggest audience.

It could be that they felt that getting the manga into American fans hands edited, was better than not getting it here at all. And as such they paid the huge licensing fee, and did what they needed to do in order to cover their costs.

Or it could be that they licensed it for next to nothing and are just trying to make the most green possible...

One thing that does perplex me, is that they released Madara with an M rating.

-t
R.G.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:32 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
matticans wrote:

I never said that they don't care.

Right now I don't know what they think, and I prefer not to presume, but rather to suggest possibilities.

It could be quite possible that they paid a very significant licensing fee and would lose money with any sort of release that wasn't really targeted at the biggest audience.

It could be that they felt that getting the manga into American fans hands edited, was better than not getting it here at all. And as such they paid the huge licensing fee, and did what they needed to do in order to cover their costs.

Or it could be that they licensed it for next to nothing and are just trying to make the most green possible...

-t

I can understand that,tempest.
Dejiko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:29 am Reply with quote
R.G. wrote:
tempest wrote:

I don't think I do... care to share your insights?
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:00 am Reply with quote
Dejiko wrote:
R.G. wrote:
tempest wrote:

I don't think it's that hard to understand... it means that they have already proven themselves to be willing to release manga with an M rating, so it's not like they aren't willing to market manga with that rating. That's why it's strange that they didn't make Ten Ten an M rating as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:36 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

R.G. wrote:

Dejiko wrote:

CMX censored Tenjho Tenge to a T level from an M level.

However they did no such thing with Madara, they left it alone and sold it rated M.

So I'm curious why they approached Madara one way, and Tenjho Tenge another.

Maybe they didn't feel that Madara had mass market appeal, so there was no benefit in censoring it ?

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8