• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood DVD Part 5

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I've been waiting to see this review for quite a few months..nice to see it finally up..in my humble opinion I believe Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is an emotionally riveting masterpiece and is without a doubt one of the very finest anime titles to come out in the last decade..Kent Williams and Ed Blaylock deliver the strongest performances of their voice acting careers to date..the scene where Father is in earth's orbit about to devour Truth(God) is unbelievable..Kent Williams is so compelling in that particular scene..I've re-watched that scene a dozen times and it never ceases to give me goosebumps every damn single time!Mike Mcfarland has yet again directed another masterfully crafted English Dub that is easily hands down one of Funimation's greatest English Dubs ever produced right up there with the original Fullmetal Alchemist/Conqueror of Shamballa,Dragonball Kai and Summer Wars in terms of pure excellence with English Dubs.The entire English Dub cast was superb and the Japanese Cast was great as well..personally I don't find anything cheesy about Fullmetal Alchemist at all and all those beautifully fluid fight scenes that stand out in the last few episodes are done by Hironori Tanaka and Yoshimichi Kameda..they are two ridiculously talented Japanese animators that are the best in their field also Akira Senju's musical score is simply one of the greatest scores I've had the privilege of listening to in classical music..the writing and the characters are so wonderful(Hiromu Arakawa is truly a genius)..Fullmetal Alchemsit as a whole is such an enigma in terms of its depth and complete scope..very few anime titles can rival the Fullmetal Alchemist Franchise..it was one hell of a ride!I can't wait for the The Sacred Star of Milos film to come out next year!A well written review..it covered the main points of the final episodes and the series as a whole for the most part..its great to hear that you enjoyed Brotherhood's mind blowing finale!

Last edited by iamthevastuniverse on Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:21 am; edited 3 times in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:08 am Reply with quote
Do my eyes deceive me? A review for Brotherhood that doesn't compare it to the first series? That's certainly a good thing since I would hope that we've moved past the comparisons by now. I commend Carl for not making any comparisons.
kufirst

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:20 am Reply with quote
Great review as usual and long live FMA!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:24 am Reply with quote
The last 'fight' of this series was such a let-down. I have the other 4 parts, so I'll probably end up with the 5th part anyway, but I don't think I'll ever rewatch the final showdown ever again. All the build-up and it just fizzled.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:29 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
The last 'fight' of this series was such a let-down. I have the other 4 parts, so I'll probably end up with the 5th part anyway, but I don't think I'll ever rewatch the final showdown ever again. All the build-up and it just fizzled.

Really?That's the first time I've heard of anyone complaining about the final fight in the series with Father..usually its met with praise but to each their own I suppose..personally I loved every second of it.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:31 am Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Really?That's the first time I've heard of anyone complaining about the final fight in the series with Father..usually its met with praise but to each their own I suppose..personally I loved every second of it.

I like fighting with my shounen. spoiler[If the last episode of One Piece deals with The Big Bad Boss overloading on power and the Straw Hats winning without a punch being thrown, I will be just as disappointed.]
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

I like fighting with my shounen. spoiler[If the last episode of One Piece deals with The Big Bad Boss overloading on power and the Straw Hats winning without a punch being thrown, I will be just as disappointed.]

Well its not like Father is easily defeated by any means..spoiler[hell he causes so much chaos in the last few episodes that it would take many lifetimes to be able to do the type of damage he did..plus he quite literally takes on everyone without even breaking a sweat but like I said previously its not going to suit everyone's tastes.]
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:48 am Reply with quote
He does not "take on everyone". spoiler[He doesn't even make a single offensive attack. Making a barrier and having everyone attack the barrier is not taking on everyone. The power of the Sun or God or whatever and all he can do is make a barrier. Hahah.]
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:57 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
He does not "take on everyone". spoiler[He doesn't even make a single offensive attack. Making a barrier and having everyone attack the barrier is not taking on everyone. The power of the Sun or God or whatever and all he can do is make a barrier. Hahah.]

Well what your failing to realize is that spoiler[Father kills Greed,Greatly injures Alphonse and Edward not to mention Hohenheim and Mae as well..its not until Alphonse sacrifices himself to get Edward's arm back that Edward even gains the upper hand on Father..also the entire time Father is unable to control Truth(God) inside of him because of Hohenheim's counter attack..even with all this going on Father was still able to defend himself admirely to the very end.]
Seraphim_Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:15 am Reply with quote
People were put off by Blaylock's performance? He masterfully made that role his. Spine-tingling good! (same with Kent Williams).
Blightstrider

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:51 am Reply with quote
Really?That's the first time I've heard of anyone complaining about the final fight in the series with Father

Then prepare for another.

spoiler[The biggest problem this fight had, was that because of the closeness of the events, it had to be compared to the fight with Bradley, where it fell short. Alot.

The problem was, that after Father lost all the souls which he used to devour God, the fight just became WAY to predictable (and the whole reverse-circle thing felt a little contrived) and rather hard to get immersed in. While in the end, he did a lot of damage to the characters that got too close, there was nothing that struck me as rather serious, nothing that could be fixed in five or so episodes.

The ‘good guys’ a force did not seem really taxed during the fight, as Father was stuck on the defensive all the time and the only character that actually suffered anything serious in the long-run was Greed, which was rather... typical. Greed came off as a character that I KNEW was going to die, just because of the nature of his existence, so killing him off seemed rather predictable, not to mention the way they did it seemed so tacked on like... “Oh, well, I guess Father needs to kill SOMEBODY important before going down, hey, Greed still needs to die!”

The other fights were fine for the final arc, like with Envy vs Roy and especially Bradley! Hells, Bradley was so kick-ass. The Father fight just seemed like a major let-down after all that.]
kufirst

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:36 am Reply with quote
They're obviously two completely different types of series but one can easily compare Monster and FMA: Brotherhood in their scope and their perceived anticlimactic finale. In both cases, it is impossible to please everyone because as stated, everyone will have different backgrounds and expectations regarding the series.

No show is perfect. I personally had no qualms with how things unfolded in the end. Luckily FMA: Brotherhood does a great job with so many other things that even if the finale was lackluster for some, it can rightly be overlooked.
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:57 am Reply with quote
For a second I thought ANN wasn't going to review it considering when it was released but cool. If I had to choose a favorite moment within this volume was the end of Greenlin vs Bradley that actually was very sad and the ending of episode 62 which I'm not going to spoil.

The final fight was pretty awesome. spoiler[Father was apparently weakened, but he then did one of the most shocking things by bringing back the guys from Xerxes and killing them just to piss Hohenheim and land blow results in Hohenheim's death, the destruction from Al's armor, etc.]

About the ending spoiler[I suppose there is no need for a sequel as everything important was closed and Edward is the Halfmetal non-alchemist by the end.]
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:13 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

You're only talking about a small part of the final showdown, spoiler[ Father attacks several times injuring May, depleting Hohenheim of Souls, and nearly killing Ed, and Alphonse. Yes for most of the above ground battle he is on the defensive but that's because his being attacked by about a hundred people]
sainta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:31 am Reply with quote
By the way I really liked the ending "Ray of Light" by Shoko Nakagawa (the same who sang the opening for Gurren Lagann). Both the song and the images were really suitable for the series' finale.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3