• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Space Invaders

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Going by the orientation of the text on the spine, it looks like about 2/3 of the manga on this week's shelves are French. I think I even recognize the logo for Editions Ki-oon, a French line, on some of them. (I picked up the first volume of Amanchu!, one of their books, when I was last in France.)
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Reason The Girl Who Leapt Through Space is not popular in US is because it is censored version (broadcasted) on US released DVDs. Sad
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
Reason The Girl Who Leapt Through Space is not popular in US is because it is censored version (broadcasted) on US released DVDs. Sad

This is exactly why I do not intend to buy any more of this series. Kinda too bad, as I like the series well enough (it's not great by any means). But not only are they releasing everything as singles, not only are they not dubbing it, but they're not even releasing the uncensored version to people willing to purchase it. Too many strikes, Bandai.
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Burosan and Hara have pretty much abandoned FOTNS2 and admitted they were forced to keep going after Raoh died (Notice how Hokuto Musou didn't even bother to act like anything happened after Raoh's defeat, much less Freddie Mercury and adventures in China) so I would not hold it against anyone if they took that stance too. As far as I'm concerned, the series ended after Raoh, the rest is just fuel for Kenshiro > Chuck Norris meme jokes.

No, Discotek is planning on releasing the last portion. But yeah, Buronson and Tetsuo Hara's dislike of everything after Raoh is almost palpable just from reading the manga. It doesn't even get good again until sometime after the arc that the HNK2 anime ended at. I assuming that's right around when they learned they could end it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:08 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Dark Absol wrote:

This is exactly why I do not intend to buy any more of this series. Kinda too bad, as I like the series well enough (it's not great by any means). But not only are they releasing everything as singles, not only are they not dubbing it, but they're not even releasing the uncensored version to people willing to purchase it. Too many strikes, Bandai.

I loved the series, and it is unfathomable that they are releasing the broadcast and not the retail version of the show. Agree with the comments above. Guess Bandai thinks we are a bunch of stupid idiots over here in the West, and that we wouldn't have noticed the difference. Sadly, I agree there won't be a BD version, because of the dismal sales, but it is Bandai's own fault for the dismal sales. No one likes to be cheated or made a fool of.

Loved Squid Girl, even with them splitting it in half. Can't wait to watch season two.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:38 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
BTW, a tip to those wanting to attend New York Comic Con / Anime Festival: they do not check badges; besides the "backdoor" is open. Wink

Shocked I noticed a lot of badge checking...!

Our badges were in our pockets for much of the time. There was no one to check us when we just went thru the entrance doors, and neither was anyone at the NYAF backdoor stairs. Heck, I could had even got in the Jay and Silent Bob show without paying for the $30 ticket. The one time a friend was asked going into the Vertical panel explaining he didn't have it that day due to some badge pickup snafu by NYCC, he was let in anyways. Laughing
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:44 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I loved the series, and it is unfathomable that they are releasing the broadcast and not the retail version of the show. Agree with the comments above. Guess Bandai thinks we are a bunch of stupid idiots over here in the West, and that we wouldn't have noticed the difference. Sadly, I agree there won't be a BD version, because of the dismal sales, but it is Bandai's own fault for the dismal sales. No one likes to be cheated or made a fool of.

What exactly was censored? I can't find any specifics online. If the fanbase seriously refuses to buy a series based on one missing nipple shot, then they don't deserve any animes anyway.
End1985

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:09 am Reply with quote
Faiga_Raisa wrote:
Are all your manga French? And....what's the average price per tankobon volume? I'm curious to see the exchange rate.

Yes, they are all french. I'd say it's between 11 to 15 $ in CAN$. But my DVD are all in english or english subbed/dubbed.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote
purplepolecat wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
I bought Squid Girl, and I was kraken up!

God damn it.

If liking fish puns is a crime, I guess I'm gill-ty.

STOP! You're krill-ing me! It's ok, I know you can't kelp yourselves. Oh whale, I think I'll leave it there.

Sigh, I don't want it to sound like I'm coming down hard on the Squid girl review but I'm gonna nit-pit a little. I'm not sure if I would give it a shelf worthy my self, but that's probably due more to the fact that I have a lot of anime and the bar is higher just to protect me from running out of room. If I were a new fan I might jump at it.

Mainly, I was put off by the reference to squirting ink as vomiting or puking. Squid ink pasta is real and considered a delicacy. The tone changes when you make it emptying your stomach's partially digested contents onto peoples' food.

Other Stuff:
Quote:
"Somehow, she is no match for the (human) Aizawa sisters"

Actually, it just the (cliched)oldest sister who is unnaturally strong. Who is really really nice until you cross her.

Personally, puns? Who cares? I find the comedy in the situations and am spared the experience by listening to the Japanese dialogue. Due to lack of comprehension. Smile

Comparing it to Jellyfish Princess is not fair at all. If the title formula 'something ' + girl/princess were significant the you might as well compare it to Corpse Princess. Titles don't dictate content any more than peoples' names do personalities, body type etc.

I will admit I was wary of the show at first and backed off for a bit. I also thought/think the Sanae character was creepy and didn't want to watch a show about what looks like a young girl that gets skeevy. While looking for it to give it another chance I accidentally ended up watching Jellyfish Princess(which I really liked) because I got the names confused.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Cheesecracker wrote:
Mainly, I was put off by the reference to squirting ink as vomiting or puking. Squid ink pasta is real and considered a delicacy. The tone changes when you make it emptying your stomach's partially digested contents onto peoples' food.

I know, I love squid ink pasta! It's delicious.

Cheesecracker wrote:
Personally, puns? Who cares? I find the comedy in the situations and am spared the experience by listening to the Japanese dialogue. Due to lack of comprehension. Smile

I personally have a fiery hatred of puns. Because I know a smattering of Japanese, and most of my vocabulary is food-based, I got some of the puns even listening to the Japanese track.

Cheesecracker wrote:
Comparing it to Jellyfish Princess is not fair at all. If the title formula 'something ' + girl/princess were significant the you might as well compare it to Corpse Princess.
You said this, and then....

Cheesecracker wrote:
While looking for it to give it another chance I accidentally ended up watching Jellyfish Princess(which I really liked) because I got the names confused.

...so you got the two titles confused, too?
agila61

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Cheesecracker wrote:
??? So when she metamorphsed into a girl, her ink gland ended up connected to her mouth.

There's no alternative you can suggest that's any better.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Eh, it doesn't really make that much difference does it? This conversation here is the first I'd heard that there was a difference between the Japanese and the US DVD releases, and... I don't really care. It's not like the series needs additional fanservice.

Are there other significant differences?

I wasn't aware that people were irked by the baseball episode, either --- it was a highlight of the show among my circle of friends. I found it incongruous, but amusing (more along the lines of what I would have expected in an omake than as an actual episode in the series).
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Cheesecracker wrote:

I know, I love squid ink pasta! It's delicious.

I see your game. You make it sound gross so there's more for you. Smile

erinfinnegan wrote:
Cheesecracker wrote:

I personally have a fiery hatred of puns. Because I know a smattering of Japanese, and most of my vocabulary is food-based, I got some of the puns even listening to the Japanese track.

I imagine you in a Vizzini-like fit, when Fezzik and Inigo were playing their rhyming game. (Anyone who doesn't get this reference is in for a treat if they bother to pursue it)

erinfinnegan wrote:
Cheesecracker wrote:
Comparing it to Jellyfish Princess is not fair at all. If the title formula 'something ' + girl/princess were significant the you might as well compare it to Corpse Princess.
You said this, and then....

erinfinnegan wrote:
Cheesecracker wrote:
While looking for it to give it another chance I accidentally ended up watching Jellyfish Princess(which I really liked) because I got the names confused.

...so you got the two titles confused, too?

It only happened once(I'm trying not to be all superior-like), but I'm glad it happened

I think yours was a nice anecdote that I could relate to. Confusable similar titles? Sure, but no need to say which you liked better. There just isn't much to compare.

agila61 wrote:
Cheesecracker wrote:
??? So when she metamorphsed into a girl, her ink gland ended up connected to her mouth.

There's no alternative you can suggest that's any better.

What was wrong with squirt?

If it's fair to use snakes as an analogy, they do not vomit venom. Spit would have worked. Gross until you discover kissing. On the 'culinary delicacies tip' the nest in Bird's Nest soup is saliva.

runners-up:
project
eject
hock
belch
burp
emit
discharge
expectorate
shower
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Cheesecracker wrote:
What was wrong with squirt?

If it's fair to use snakes as an analogy, they do not vomit venom.

Squids may squirt ink, but Squid Girl vomits it in a classic anime comedy-vomit pose.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Cheesecracker wrote:
I'm gonna nit-pit a little.

The correct expression is "nit pick". [/irony]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4